Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Bengals Players' Thoughts On Roethlisberger

Notes: Taking care of business
By GEOFF HOBSON
June 15, 2006

Posted: 12:25 a.m.

In the last few days, Bengals linebacker David Pollack has aced a 340-yard par-4 (driver) and drilled five homers (wooden bat) during batting practice at Great American Ball Park. But even this unique athlete isn?t going to try anything one might call a risk.

?Your body is our money maker. I stay away from doing stupid things with it,? said Pollack Thursday as the Bengals mulled ?The Big Ben Question.?

?I used to be crazy, jumping over things outside,? Pollack said. ?You definitely think about it twice.?

No one poked fun at Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the Bengals locker room. And although no one may be getting in a parade with him, they?re hesitant to take away his right to drive a motorcycle.

?No, take away the celebration, now take away what we enjoy outside the facility?? asked, of course, Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson. ?That?s not fair. If you?re going to do it, do it very cautiously. Ride the bike the right way, if you go bungee jumping, have two cords.

?I believe in the man upstairs. Regardless if he rode the bike or not, something was going to happen, unfortunately. By design. By the man upstairs.?

Johnson praised Roethlisberger as ?the engine? of the Steelers and linebacker Brian Simmons said, ?Regardless of football, I?m just happy (he?s OK). He could have been messed up. That?s the good thing. It wasn?t fatal and no life-changing injuries.

?Why not (ride a motorcycle)? It?s not what I would necessarily do, but I speed.?

A laughing Johnson said he only rode motorcycles during the offseason on grass with a helmet, but then said ?I don?t ride.?

Rookie cornerback Johnathan Joseph said he has driven motorcycles in the past, but doesn?t own one and has been discouraged by his mother.

?My mom always stressed the fact anything can happen,? Joseph said. ? You have no control over the situation. It?s you against everyone else and the road.?

Left tackle Levi Jones says he has pretty much ?protected my interests? since he was drafted in 2002, saying he hasn?t played a serious game of basketball since.

?Ever since I got hurt,? said Jones of his knee injury in 2003, ?I?ve pretty much only worked out in the offseason to get ready, so I haven?t really had a chance to do things I would see as risk-taking. I don?t ride motorcycles and I very rarely ride quads.?

Jones says Roethlisberger is ?a grown man and he?s ultimately going to do what he?s going to do,? and he subscribes to Johnson?s What-Will-Be-Will-Be belief.

?Something could happen to you walking down the street,? Jones said. ?It?s a risk going out here to minicamp.?

Pollack is just coming off a foot injury that he allegedly tweaked while playing basketball in the offseason. He and head coach Marvin Lewis haven?t confirmed it, but both have said the major damage came in the first Pittsburgh game.

Pollack says you have to pick your spots for basketball. The Bengals must not think it?s that risky. They?ve got a basketball court down the hall from the locker room.

It?s probably the best thing you can do cardiovascular,? Pollack said. ?We play up here all the time. It?s much smarter to play up here with everybody where we know not to take people out. If you go to the rec centers, that?s more dangerous.

?I pray for him,? Pollack said of Big Ben. ?Football aside, you want the person to be able to function. I don?t care if he plays football. I hope he does, but I just hope he?s healthy and walking and everything works.?

Palmer
CHECKING BIG BEN: Palmer said his empathy for injured Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hasn?t chilled his fire for the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati rivalry.

?No, that?s not going to change,? he said. ?That?s still our rivalry. That?s still the game I can?t wait to play, the game they can?t wait to play us, I?m sure. And I like Ben. We?ve hung out a number of times. It?s nothing personal against him or anybody on that team. It?s just the rivalry game.?

Palmer said he has left a message for Roethlisberger, but figures he isn?t taking any calls yet.

?The guy is hurting. He went through seven hours of surgery. The last thing he needs is people banging on him for not wearing a helmet,? Palmer said. ?He needs everybody?s prayers. The biggest thing is that he?s healthy. Hopefully, everything is going to be all right and he?ll be back just as quickly as I am for the opener. My thoughts and prayers are with him.?

Johnson
RUDI CALLS: On a day Corey Dillon fumed in Foxboro about being disrespected and glowered at questions about possibly backing up a rookie, Rudi Johnson showed up quietly Thursday to punch the clock on his third straight season as the Bengals? Bell Cow back.

After playing all but one game last season with torn cartilage in his left knee, Johnson took the field for the first time since arthroscopic surgery in February and sounded like a man with a new lease.

?I?m 100 percent better; no pain,? said Johnson, trying to set the club rushing record for the third straight year. ?It took awhile for me to get going when it was hurt. It?s tough getting it going and getting started. To come out and get it going off the bat is a good thing. Without pain.?

Johnson said back in February he thought he suffered the injury at some point in the second game of the season, a 37-8 victory over the Vikings in which he carried 22 times for 90 yards. He didn?t feel soreness until the next day and didn?t get it checked until after his 25 carries the next week in Chicago went for 84 yards during a 24-7 win. The next week he went 19 times for 88 yards in the Oct. 2 win over Houston the day after his 26th birthday, and then he took it week by week.

?It paid off in the long run,? Johnson said. ?Sometimes I could have pulled out of tackles if it?d been 100 percent. I wasn?t as powerful in my left leg. ... But I?m back now.?

Not back is backup running back Chris Perry (knee), but indications are he?ll be back for the July 29 start of training camp.

Henry
HENRY?s STRUGGLES: After his fourth arrest in less than six months, wide receiver Chris Henry pleaded not guilty Thursday in Kenton District Court for supplying alcohol to three underage women at the Marriott Courtyard in Covington, Ky., back in April.

According to published reports, Kenton District Judge Douglas Grothaus ordered Henry not to not drink any alcohol as a condition of his $2,500 bond. He is not to have contact with minors.

A woman in the case is charged with filing a false charge of sexual assault against Henry, but news reports say more charges are possible.

The Bengals don?t comment on active legal matters and at this moment may be viewing NFL policy as taking a precedent over team discipline. League policy hinges on the resolution in court.

According to NFL player conduct policy, any conviction, or admission in a second crime brings a suspension decided by the commissioner. According to the NFL substance abuse policy, discipline for a second alcohol-related offense is likely a suspension, the duration which may escalate for repeat offenders. Henry has pled to marijuana possession and faces a DUI charge in Ohio.

Another reason the Bengals can?t cut Henry now may be because of his lingering knee problem. The collective bargaining agreement says a player can only be cut for skill reasons. With Henry, 23, expected to be cleared for training camp, the Bengals may have to wait until then.

The NFL Players Association indicated to Bengals.com last week that if a team released a player before he faced discipline from the league in a legal matter, the NFLPA would consider that move as double jeopardy. What is clear is that the Bengals are being careful in handling the Henry case so they don?t get sanctioned themselves.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
steelerfan12
Water Boy

Member Number: 2417
Default Re: Bengals Players' Thoughts On Roethlisberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
Notes: Taking care of business
By GEOFF HOBSON
June 15, 2006

Posted: 12:25 a.m.

In the last few days, Bengals linebacker David Pollack has aced a 340-yard par-4 (driver) and drilled five homers (wooden bat) during batting practice at Great American Ball Park. But even this unique athlete isn?t going to try anything one might call a risk.

?Your body is our money maker. I stay away from doing stupid things with it,? said Pollack Thursday as the Bengals mulled ?The Big Ben Question.?

?I used to be crazy, jumping over things outside,? Pollack said. ?You definitely think about it twice.?

No one poked fun at Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the Bengals locker room. And although no one may be getting in a parade with him, they?re hesitant to take away his right to drive a motorcycle.

?No, take away the celebration, now take away what we enjoy outside the facility?? asked, of course, Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson. ?That?s not fair. If you?re going to do it, do it very cautiously. Ride the bike the right way, if you go bungee jumping, have two cords.

?I believe in the man upstairs. Regardless if he rode the bike or not, something was going to happen, unfortunately. By design. By the man upstairs.?

Johnson praised Roethlisberger as ?the engine? of the Steelers and linebacker Brian Simmons said, ?Regardless of football, I?m just happy (he?s OK). He could have been messed up. That?s the good thing. It wasn?t fatal and no life-changing injuries.

?Why not (ride a motorcycle)? It?s not what I would necessarily do, but I speed.?

A laughing Johnson said he only rode motorcycles during the offseason on grass with a helmet, but then said ?I don?t ride.?

Rookie cornerback Johnathan Joseph said he has driven motorcycles in the past, but doesn?t own one and has been discouraged by his mother.

?My mom always stressed the fact anything can happen,? Joseph said. ? You have no control over the situation. It?s you against everyone else and the road.?

Left tackle Levi Jones says he has pretty much ?protected my interests? since he was drafted in 2002, saying he hasn?t played a serious game of basketball since.

?Ever since I got hurt,? said Jones of his knee injury in 2003, ?I?ve pretty much only worked out in the offseason to get ready, so I haven?t really had a chance to do things I would see as risk-taking. I don?t ride motorcycles and I very rarely ride quads.?

Jones says Roethlisberger is ?a grown man and he?s ultimately going to do what he?s going to do,? and he subscribes to Johnson?s What-Will-Be-Will-Be belief.

?Something could happen to you walking down the street,? Jones said. ?It?s a risk going out here to minicamp.?

Pollack is just coming off a foot injury that he allegedly tweaked while playing basketball in the offseason. He and head coach Marvin Lewis haven?t confirmed it, but both have said the major damage came in the first Pittsburgh game.

Pollack says you have to pick your spots for basketball. The Bengals must not think it?s that risky. They?ve got a basketball court down the hall from the locker room.

It?s probably the best thing you can do cardiovascular,? Pollack said. ?We play up here all the time. It?s much smarter to play up here with everybody where we know not to take people out. If you go to the rec centers, that?s more dangerous.

?I pray for him,? Pollack said of Big Ben. ?Football aside, you want the person to be able to function. I don?t care if he plays football. I hope he does, but I just hope he?s healthy and walking and everything works.?

Palmer
CHECKING BIG BEN: Palmer said his empathy for injured Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hasn?t chilled his fire for the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati rivalry.

?No, that?s not going to change,? he said. ?That?s still our rivalry. That?s still the game I can?t wait to play, the game they can?t wait to play us, I?m sure. And I like Ben. We?ve hung out a number of times. It?s nothing personal against him or anybody on that team. It?s just the rivalry game.?

Palmer said he has left a message for Roethlisberger, but figures he isn?t taking any calls yet.

?The guy is hurting. He went through seven hours of surgery. The last thing he needs is people banging on him for not wearing a helmet,? Palmer said. ?He needs everybody?s prayers. The biggest thing is that he?s healthy. Hopefully, everything is going to be all right and he?ll be back just as quickly as I am for the opener. My thoughts and prayers are with him.?

Johnson
RUDI CALLS: On a day Corey Dillon fumed in Foxboro about being disrespected and glowered at questions about possibly backing up a rookie, Rudi Johnson showed up quietly Thursday to punch the clock on his third straight season as the Bengals? Bell Cow back.

After playing all but one game last season with torn cartilage in his left knee, Johnson took the field for the first time since arthroscopic surgery in February and sounded like a man with a new lease.

?I?m 100 percent better; no pain,? said Johnson, trying to set the club rushing record for the third straight year. ?It took awhile for me to get going when it was hurt. It?s tough getting it going and getting started. To come out and get it going off the bat is a good thing. Without pain.?

Johnson said back in February he thought he suffered the injury at some point in the second game of the season, a 37-8 victory over the Vikings in which he carried 22 times for 90 yards. He didn?t feel soreness until the next day and didn?t get it checked until after his 25 carries the next week in Chicago went for 84 yards during a 24-7 win. The next week he went 19 times for 88 yards in the Oct. 2 win over Houston the day after his 26th birthday, and then he took it week by week.

?It paid off in the long run,? Johnson said. ?Sometimes I could have pulled out of tackles if it?d been 100 percent. I wasn?t as powerful in my left leg. ... But I?m back now.?

Not back is backup running back Chris Perry (knee), but indications are he?ll be back for the July 29 start of training camp.

Henry
HENRY?s STRUGGLES: After his fourth arrest in less than six months, wide receiver Chris Henry pleaded not guilty Thursday in Kenton District Court for supplying alcohol to three underage women at the Marriott Courtyard in Covington, Ky., back in April.

According to published reports, Kenton District Judge Douglas Grothaus ordered Henry not to not drink any alcohol as a condition of his $2,500 bond. He is not to have contact with minors.

A woman in the case is charged with filing a false charge of sexual assault against Henry, but news reports say more charges are possible.

The Bengals don?t comment on active legal matters and at this moment may be viewing NFL policy as taking a precedent over team discipline. League policy hinges on the resolution in court.

According to NFL player conduct policy, any conviction, or admission in a second crime brings a suspension decided by the commissioner. According to the NFL substance abuse policy, discipline for a second alcohol-related offense is likely a suspension, the duration which may escalate for repeat offenders. Henry has pled to marijuana possession and faces a DUI charge in Ohio.

Another reason the Bengals can?t cut Henry now may be because of his lingering knee problem. The collective bargaining agreement says a player can only be cut for skill reasons. With Henry, 23, expected to be cleared for training camp, the Bengals may have to wait until then.

The NFL Players Association indicated to Bengals.com last week that if a team released a player before he faced discipline from the league in a legal matter, the NFLPA would consider that move as double jeopardy. What is clear is that the Bengals are being careful in handling the Henry case so they don?t get sanctioned themselves.
thats nice to see there is no bull shit talking going round the bengals locker room thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

They want to instill a rivalry, and I have no problem with that at all. They are a lot better than the Browns, at this point, and I like the competitive edge Palmer & Johnson bring. Their TE, too, but I can't spell his name. LOL

It's all good, and same to Palmer for his recovery.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Yep, it's all good if you listen to the interviews with the players. Just don't spend much time listening to the sports talk radio in this town! (lol)
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
Yep, it's all good if you listen to the interviews with the players. Just don't spend much time listening to the sports talk radio in this town! (lol)
LOL! Cool Beans!

But it is cool to hear the other platers say good things......I just get steamed when "some" of the fans from other teams laugh......class-less.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #6
spalmer69
Water Boy

Member Number: 1027

I will reiterate what i said in one of the other threads here......as far as myself, personally, my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I live about 20 minutes from where Ben played his college ball and saw many of his games at Miami U. in person. I was a huge fan of his and told everyone that he was going to do special things in the NFL. Seeing as Miami U. isnt a well recognized school across this country.....i had alot of doubters. As would be expected, the day he was drafted, I instantly despised him lol Hey, its the nature of the beast with rivalries such as this. However I am one of those who is level headed enough to be able to seperate life from football and i am sincerely glad he made it through this. Id like to see him change the way he goes about some things so we can all have this rivalry for years to come.

As far as what fans from rival teams say in situations such as this......every team has their share of numbnut fans. We have ours. You have yours. There were some pretty crappy things said on our board when Carson went down. There were several Steeler fans high fiving each other in our stands as Carson laid there on the turf writhing in pain. When the news of Bens accident broke, we had a few of our ****tards "wooting" and running their ****pockets and it caused me to flare up over there which in turn started this silly little message board fued. Things happen. People show their IQ when they leave posts like that.

anyways, glad to know Ben will be ok. I look forward to starting it all over again this season and wish you all the best of luck
Scott