Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cotchery emerging as the new No. 3 receiver

Cotchery emerging as the new No. 3 receiver
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...tml?mode=print
By Mike Bires

mbires@timesonline.com
| Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:00 am

PITTSBURGH — Time and again this season, Jerricho Cotchery heard Mike Tomlin’s “next man up” sermon. But never did he grow tired of hearing it. He believed that at some point it would be his turn to make a game-shaping play.

So it was Sunday when Cotchery caught his first touchdown pass as a Steeler in the 24-17 win over the Bengals.

“I just want to contribute,” said Cotchery, a 29-year-old wide receiver who spent the first seven years of his pro career with the New York Jets.

“Every guy in this locker room is important. That’s truly how it is. Coach preaches that all the time. I’m sure he preached it long before I got here. When you’re number is called, you’re expected to make a play.”

Cotchery signed with the Steelers on Aug. 14 right after negotiations with Plaxico Burress didn’t come to fruition. Burress became a Jet, and the Steelers signed the veteran route-runner Cotchery.

With Emmanuel Sanders out at the time with a stress fracture in his foot, the Steelers needed another body at wide receiver. They found one in Cotchery, who from 2006-2008, caught 82, 82 and 71 passes, respectively.

However, Cotchery pulled a hamstring in his first preseason game (Aug. 18 vs. the Eagles) and missed the first three games of the regular season. For the next four games, he played primarily on special teams. He finally caught his first pass in the Oct. 30 game against the Patriots when Hines Ward sat out with a sprained ankle and Sanders suffered a knee injury.

A week later against the Ravens, Cotchery got more chances. With Sanders attending his mother’s funeral in Texas out and Ward getting knocked out with concussion-like symptoms after a hit from linebacker Ray Lewis, he caught three passes for 44 yards.

Then against the Bengals, Cotchery scored the Steelers’ first TD on a 16-yard catch in the first quarter. It was his first touchdown since scoring for the Jets in a 24-19 loss to the Steelers last season in the AFC Championship Game.

Cotchery also had a 24-yard TD catch against the Bengals in the second quarter that was called back because of an offensive pass interference penalty on tight end Heath Miller.

“He’s a veteran, a savvy guy,” Tomlin said. “He’s a guy that we’ve been excited about since the day we acquired him. But he had some things (like the hamstring injury) that slowed him down early in the process. But he’s been a consummate professional throughout it all. He’s prepared himself and we’re just starting to see the signs of that preparation.”

“While I was out, I had the support of my teammates,” Cotchery said. “They kept telling me to keep working and to just take care of myself so I could get back out there on the field and help us down the stretch.”

With Sanders out indefinitely, it appears that Cotchery is the Steelers’ No. 3 wideout for the time being. At least he was Sunday. With Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown penciled in as starters, Cotchery saw time as the third receiver. Cotchery’s increased workload meant a decrease in playing time for Hines Ward.

“We’ve got a great set of receivers, and I think we’re going to be pretty dangerous coming off our bye week,” Cotchery said. “Hines will be back to full speed and later on down the road we’ll get Emmanuel back. So I’m really looking forward to that down the homestretch.

“We have a pretty good guy (in Ben Roethlisberger) behind center who can spread he ball around. So we feel good about that.”
Timesonline.com, Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:51 AM
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,983 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Cotchery emerging as the new No. 3 receiver

as I've mentioned before - a former co-worker's son-in-law played with Cotchery and had nothing but great things to say about him as a teammate and a person in general. He is a very, very humble guy and very appreciative, great to fans, and a family man - already seems like a true Steeler to me

Look into my eyes
SF Haters

Last edited by steelfury02; 11-16-2011 at 11:40 AM.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,305 Times in 583 Posts

I think that Cotchery is a very happy camper here.

I think the stability and dedication of the Steeler organization is just what he'd been looking for and he seems to be thriving because of it.
His years with the Jets were filled with uncertainty and an overall lack of direction not to mention the locker room politics, backbiting and the overall "goldfish bowl" aspect of playing in New York and it's hard to feel comfortable in a situation like that.

Here, I think he feels that he can actually relax and focus on being a great football player without the distractions and circus atmosphere of the Jets.

He's only 29 and not only has some great years ahead of him but also has the advantage of being in a great environment in which to grow.

For an under-publicized pickup, I'd say Cotchery coming here was a real boon for both he and the Steelers.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,543 Times in 633 Posts

When we signed Cotchery I had to take a double look at it. I was that shocked we actually landed a player of his caliber that late in Training Camp. All season, I was just baffled that his talents were thought to be wasted since we have one of the best WR core in the NFL. Now that he's getting his chance, IMHO, he will replace Ward next season and we'll sign him to a multi-year deal. We got speed with Wallace, Brown and Emmanuel and Cotch will be our hard-nosed, possession receiver who is physical across the middle and in the red-zone. He's kind of like a younger Hines Ward. I just loved the pickup and LOVE that we have the opportunity with him on our lap for some years to come after Hines.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Loving what I'm seeing from Cotch Rocket.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,852 Times in 2,898 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

im surprised the jets let him go tbh, and more surprised when he was willing to play for us for the vet minimum
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I think that Cotchery is a very happy camper here.

I think the stability and dedication of the Steeler organization is just what he'd been looking for and he seems to be thriving because of it.
His years with the Jets were filled with uncertainty and an overall lack of direction not to mention the locker room politics, backbiting and the overall "goldfish bowl" aspect of playing in New York and it's hard to feel comfortable in a situation like that.

Here, I think he feels that he can actually relax and focus on being a great football player without the distractions and circus atmosphere of the Jets.

He's only 29 and not only has some great years ahead of him but also has the advantage of being in a great environment in which to grow.

For an under-publicized pickup, I'd say Cotchery coming here was a real boon for both he and the Steelers.
I thought the jets cut him because of injuries?

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,983 Posts
My Mood: Fine

from what I've been told it ended very respectfully and somewhat mutual. He saw it coming with the injuries but also wanted a different atmosphere / new start

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

He knew he was going nowhere with less than 50% reception man Sanchez. Holmes and Burress get all the balls thrown their way. Cotchery was just an afterthought on the Jets. He feels wanted and will be a great contributor for us. I remembered him on the Jets catching pretty much anything that was close to him. I also was ecstatic when they picked him up. Now he is showing us that he can actually play the game.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,305 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
I thought the jets cut him because of injuries?
I don't know if they did or not.

I'm just sayin' that he seems much happier here and is probably glad to be rid of the three-ring-circus over there.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote