Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Default Ben to wear new type helmet? (Football Helmet)

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_458277.html

Now, concern turns to football helmet

Photo Gallery

click to enlarge

The Revolution

By Karen Roebuck and Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 16, 2006

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger likely will take the field this season wearing a helmet he passed on last year, according to the Steelers' primary helmet supplier.
Roethlisberger also may need a hard chin cup, a different face mask and the addition of a face shield that extends to at least below the nose to keep wayward fingers from his fractured face, jaws and nose, said Marty Cothern, Riddell key account manager. Riddell is the country's leading manufacturer of football helmets. Steelers trainers contacted him about helmet possibilities after the quarterback's Monday motorcycle accident, in which Roethlisberger also suffered a minor concussion.

"They're trying to think ahead of the curve here, and they don't know -- nobody knows -- what the issues are going to be," he said. "... At that position, it's tough to wear too much, because you have to turn your head a lot."

Big Ben likely will wear the Revolution helmet, which has distinctive muttonchop-like protection over the jaws and was first introduced five years ago, Cothern said.

The helmet was designed to protect players from concussions but also provides the best jaw protection available on a football helmet, he said.

The Revolution was made after a study came to the surprising conclusion that 70 percent of players' concussions occurred from blows to the jaw or side of the head, Cothern said.

"I think that is the helmet he will be wearing going forward," Cothern said.

Cothern said the Steelers told him the Revolution fit Roethlisberger best last season, but he opted to stay with Riddell VSR-4 he had been wearing.

He said he did not know Roethlisberger's reasons for forgoing the better-fitting helmet, but some NFL players do not want to change their equipment because of superstitions and habit.

The Revolution also feels different to players, distributing its weight -- 2 ounces less than other helmets -- around the head rather than at the face mask, like those they have worn for years.

"Sometimes, we don't get a perfect fit with this helmet, and the best protection you can have is a good fit," Cothern said.

Linebackers Joey Porter and James Farrior, safety Troy Polamalu and backup quarterback Charlie Batch were among the Steelers who wore the Revolution during the team's championship season. Polamalu suffered multiple concussions during his college career at Southern Cal but is not believed to have suffered one during his three-year NFL career.

Ex-Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart converted to the Revolution after he suffered a concussion on a hit from Washington Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington, and Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning switched to the Revolution in 2002, after suffering a hairline fracture of his jaw a season earlier.

Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell took some ribbing from teammates when he switched to the Revolution three seasons ago, when he played for the Jacksonville Jaguars. They thought the helmet made him look like an astronaut. Brunell didn't mind. He'd suffered a concussion a year earlier.

"I don't care if some guys may think it looks silly," Brunell told Pro Football Weekly. "If it fits fine and gives me a lesser chance of getting a concussion, I'll wear it -- I'll keep wearing it. Concussions are not a lot of fun. Once you have one, you never want to have one again."

Thad Ide, the vice president of research and development for Riddell, said other quarterbacks returning from head injuries have benefited from equipment modifications.

"(Then-St. Louis Rams quarterback) Kurt Warner broke his jaw and had an extended faceguard made, and (ex-Dallas Cowboys quarterback) Troy Aikman wore a specially padded chinstrap," Ide said. "Efforts have been made for accommodations. Custom mouthpieces are made for players all the time."

Ide said approximately 20 percent of NFL players wore the Revolution helmet last season.

Big Ben also should have a better line of sight with the Revolution, which is cut back on the sides one-quarter inch from older-style helmets, Cothern said.

While the company will not change the helmet design for Roethlisberger, Cothern said he was going to meet with Riddell engineers last night to discuss other options to protect the Steelers' starting quarterback.

Riddell made a specialized, albeit heavy, face mask to protect former New Orleans Saints linebacker and ex-Pitt star Rickey Jackson, who played with a broken jaw, Cothern said.

Roethlisberger's next face mask could be more cagelike, with more wire, Cothern said. More padding could be added to the helmet, either for a better fit or increased protection, he said.

"The Steelers have one of the best crews I've ever seen in fitting equipment and helmets. They've been around forever," Cothern said.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Ben to wear new type helmet? (Football Helmet)

Understandable for him to sport a revolution with extra chin protection.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Thanks for the heads up. I think Ben can afford special helmet from Riddel just for him.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Sounds good to me!
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:50 AM   #5
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: Ben to wear new type helmet? (Football Helmet)

I'm all for it!

Even though the peripheral is wider (cuts back 1/4 inch more each side), I'm wondering if the "cage-like" facemask will mess up quick reads and check downs any?

I would like to see one of these helmets. I suffered a concussion my junior year in High School, luckily it was the last game of the year so it did not impair any game time. This would have been nice to have back then.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:53 AM   #6
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelShooter
I would like to see one of these helmets.
Here ya go:

MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe
Here ya go:

Can anyone make this look like Steelers helmet with adding gold stripe over it? Maybe even white #7, too.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #8
SteelrsRck
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 698

looks sweet

SteelrsRck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

The helmet is a GREAT HELMET. I have a large head an NONE of my school's football helmets would fit so I had to get a riddel xl-revolution. Biggest one they've got. It's very comfortable as long as your growing an afrow or however it's spelt.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

helmet look homosexual, but if its gonna keep him safe without affecting his play im for it. these helmets arn't new, many ppl wear them...ex. the mannings

Last edited by Sharkissle29; 06-18-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote