Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
RichardCullinanForever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18924
Default What (or Who) Is To Blame For Tomlin's Late Season Collapses?

I've been watching the Steelers religiously since the 2004 season (relax, I'm only 18). And while I can explain the horrid 2006 season - simply put, Cowher got what he wanted and didn't care much about winning again, and the O-line was perhaps the worst/most injured in recent years. 2006 was a REAL Super Bowl hangover. Cowher didn't give his players enough sh** when they didn't preform, and just the whole way of going about the season was a little 'relaxed.' But in 2007 and 2009, I can't seem to explain what happened, partially because I can't remember those seasons well enough. But can you really blame a 'super bowl hangover' for a 6-2 start to the season? Are we destined for another 'collapse.' I mean, I can't say I don't have my doubts about this season, but as Ben put it "we aren't even playing to our full potential yet." Plus our remaining schedule is somewhat of a joke. But someone has to be to blame for a 6-2 start and a 3-5 finish. And someone has to be to blame for a 9-3 start and 1-3 finish in 2007. Is Tomlin to blame, are injuries, or is it the tough schedule? WHAT HAPPENED!?

So 2 questions:
1) What happened in 2007 and 2009? AND
2) Are we destined for the same horrid finish?
RichardCullinanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173
Default Re: What (or Who) Is To Blame For Tomlin's Late Season Collapses?

2007: We lost Willie Parker and Aaron Smith while they were still productive players for the season. If you remember the Jacksonville playoff game, they killed us in the running game. Still nearly won that one amazingly.

2009: Our special teams were absolutely terrible that season. And missing Troy hurt the secondary which already was mediocre at best. We couldn't close out games at all that season.

I think we're going to be all right this season. We're beating the teams we should beat and the offensive line finally is starting to mesh. Plus Troy is healthy and we tend to do best in years where he is healthy.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Horrid???

you should have been like some of us and witnessed the late 80's and 90's

Injuries are normally a big thing late in the season. For the most part the hottest team late in the season goes to the super bowl. I like this team right now and IMO we will be pretty damn good with Woodley and Harrison on the field together.

Enjoy this!! You are a injury away from reliving our Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kordell years
Old 11-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Who is to blame for him taking us to two Super Bowls in three years?!?! I'm tired of this, and I want to relive the 80s and 90s. Please fire this bum.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,630 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Who is to blame for him taking us to two Super Bowls in three years?!?! I'm tired of this, and I want to relive the 80s and 90s. Please fire this bum.
and bring back bobby blister
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
and bring back bobby blister

You rang..........

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCullinanForever View Post
I've been watching the Steelers religiously since the 2004 season (relax, I'm only 18). And while I can explain the horrid 2006 season - simply put, Cowher got what he wanted and didn't care much about winning again, and the O-line was perhaps the worst/most injured in recent years. 2006 was a REAL Super Bowl hangover. Cowher didn't give his players enough sh** when they didn't preform, and just the whole way of going about the season was a little 'relaxed.' But in 2007 and 2009, I can't seem to explain what happened, partially because I can't remember those seasons well enough. But can you really blame a 'super bowl hangover' for a 6-2 start to the season? Are we destined for another 'collapse.' I mean, I can't say I don't have my doubts about this season, but as Ben put it "we aren't even playing to our full potential yet." Plus our remaining schedule is somewhat of a joke. But someone has to be to blame for a 6-2 start and a 3-5 finish. And someone has to be to blame for a 9-3 start and 1-3 finish in 2007. Is Tomlin to blame, are injuries, or is it the tough schedule? WHAT HAPPENED!?

So 2 questions:
Not sure i understand your philosophy on thinking were headed for a horrid finish. I'll take 9-3 anyday.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

that's just the ups and downs of the NFL. And for those 2 bad finishes the Steelers have had 2 great finishes ending up in the Super Bowl in both years. 2007, I attribute to injuries mostly and 2009 was just one of those years. A 5 game stretch where we couldn't get out of our own way.

Topped off by Bruce Air Ariens, airing it out on a cold December evening in Cleveland 32 times. With wild chill factor of negative 12 and 30 mph winds, Bruce was dead set on throwing all over Cleveland when we could have just lined up and 3 and out punted our way to a win. The Browns had no offense, but their D was able to sack Ben 8 times on all those dropbacks and capitalized on the field position and won 13-6. May have been the worst gameplan I've ever seen in an NFL game. The Steelers were so much better than the Browns that year they could have run on every single down without 1 pass play and won that game. Bruce outsmarted himself on that day.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with our offensive play calling so far this year. Even without a great running game our offense looks unstoppable at times.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
queeg
Banned

Member Number: 18784
Talking Re: What (or Who) Is To Blame For Tomlin's Late Season Collapses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCullinanForever View Post

So 2 questions:
Lets get positive...tearing down any Steeler just to feed some perverted pleasure is not appreciated by Steeler faithful...
queeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
RichardCullinanForever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18924

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I never said Tomlin was to blame, but you guys are lying to yourself if you think starting the season 9-3 and ending up a 4th seed in the playoffs is anything but mediocre.
RichardCullinanForever is offline   Reply With Quote