Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-20-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default State of the NFL

Anyone think this is some of the worst quality football the NFL has produced in a very long time?

I'm just talking the league as a whole. If anyone watched highlights of the Denver win today I think you know what I'm talking about.

Consider the fact that the Colts can lose their QB and turn into the worst team in the league. 60+ points in a game is normal now.

Very few teams are playing defense at a respectable level. The best team in the league (Greenbay) has a pitiful defense.... There are a few teams that look solid defensively....no one is looking dominant.

I think the rules have a lot to do with this. The commissioner has turned this into the Arena league... Canadian football anyone? You can't say this is college ball...colleges run the ball. In the NFL running the ball is nothing more then a change up.

It's getting hard to watch.... in fact I didn't watch 5 minutes of football today and it didn't bother me one bit. I enjoyed my day..... I'm looking forward to the Steelers game next week... I probably would have watched some of the Cinci / Ravens game if it were televised...only because it effected the steelers. I wonder if I'm the only guy who feels this way? How are the NFL's ratings these days? Anyone know?

Maybe I'm too "old school" ? I'm 38 and I've been a fanatic for many years. I never miss a steeler game. In past years I was over the top fantasy player as well...I quit doing that about 3 years ago and I have to say the extra time I have is good. I don't miss it. In my mind the NFL "peaked" right around 2005. There were 2 amazing SB's in 2008 and 2009, but I'd say the quality of the game as a whole has been declining since about 2005/2006 and I think this year it's been just awful. I want the running game back...I want defense... I want a great offense to earn their greatness....I want kick offs back.....I want my NFL back.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: State of the NFL

No, you are not the only one who feels this way. I remember wanting to watch all the games on Sundays. That was my day. Now, beyond the Steelers, I don't care to watch anything else... beyond keeping an eye on the NFL ticker at times. I'll watch an occasional game here and there, but not very much else.

My sports fandom started out with hockey, and that is where it is definitely starting to lean more towards now again. Goodell has just ruined this sport. That about sums it up for me.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
No, you are not the only one who feels this way. I remember wanting to watch all the games on Sundays. That was my day. Now, beyond the Steelers, I don't care to watch anything else... beyond keeping an eye on the NFL ticker at times. I'll watch an occasional game here and there, but not very much else.

My sports fandom started out with hockey, and that is where it is definitely starting to lean more towards now again. Goodell has just ruined this sport. That about sums it up for me.

I've been really into baseball the past few years.... I've always been a Brewers fan... Miller Park is an hour away from my house...the past 5 or so years I've been a partial season ticket holder....and with the Brewers actually winning I've really been a fanatic... I think I went to 20-30 games last year (playoffs included) and I never missed a game on the radio or tv. Oddly enough I'd say MLB has been going back to its roots and getting better and better...while the NFL has been going away from what made it great. Maybe you Pirate fans disagree, but I thought the 2011 season was just amazing for MLB. Overall some of the best baseball in years. Sounds like the new CBA in MLB is only going to make things even better.

Besides the NFL outlawing defense...the horrible officiating and pathetic commentators have also hurt the game.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Besides the NFL outlawing defense...the horrible officiating and pathetic commentators have also hurt the game.
No argument here. "Goodell Ball" sucks.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
Anyone think this is some of the worst quality football the NFL has produced in a very long time?

I'm just talking the league as a whole. If anyone watched highlights of the Denver win today I think you know what I'm talking about.

Consider the fact that the Colts can lose their QB and turn into the worst team in the league. 60+ points in a game is normal now.

Very few teams are playing defense at a respectable level. The best team in the league (Greenbay) has a pitiful defense.... There are a few teams that look solid defensively....no one is looking dominant.

I think the rules have a lot to do with this. The commissioner has turned this into the Arena league... Canadian football anyone? You can't say this is college ball...colleges run the ball. In the NFL running the ball is nothing more then a change up.

It's getting hard to watch.... in fact I didn't watch 5 minutes of football today and it didn't bother me one bit. I enjoyed my day..... I'm looking forward to the Steelers game next week... I probably would have watched some of the Cinci / Ravens game if it were televised...only because it effected the steelers. I wonder if I'm the only guy who feels this way? How are the NFL's ratings these days? Anyone know?

Maybe I'm too "old school" ? I'm 38 and I've been a fanatic for many years. I never miss a steeler game. In past years I was over the top fantasy player as well...I quit doing that about 3 years ago and I have to say the extra time I have is good. I don't miss it. In my mind the NFL "peaked" right around 2005. There were 2 amazing SB's in 2008 and 2009, but I'd say the quality of the game as a whole has been declining since about 2005/2006 and I think this year it's been just awful. I want the running game back...I want defense... I want a great offense to earn their greatness....I want kick offs back.....I want my NFL back.
There are some things that hurt the NFL this year. One of the main things is the fact that the NFL has a lockout; this is a year-round sport where players must be in top shape year-round both physically and mentally. I see Cornerbacks missing assignments and wide receivers running wrong routes, missing blocking assignments, ETC. This all has to do with the fact that the NFL did not have an off season. the change of the only one-padded practice per week also does not help much.

But other than that, I do think that we are in a golden age of QBs and offensive execution. The offense is just ahead this year in terms of schemes and such. You see the Packers and they still are undefeated without a defense to speak of because their offense is just spectacular. you see that the Patriots are still one of the top offenses this year, even though it has hit a couple of speed bumps this past month (our Steel D has something to do with it ). Hell, you see what this offense in Pittsburgh is doing, changing the game and making plays on offense and trying to rely on offense to win the game (have any of you old school steeler fans ever heard of relying on the offense more than the defense? it has to be a while since that has happened).

The best example that I have is what the 49ers are doing. They have a QB that is severely limited in my opinion, but Jim Harbaugh is keeping this team competitive by just simply out coaching the opponents and relying on the running game and play-action passing to win games, which is unprecedented in this new era. I do think that the 49ers are a real threat to the packers because of the way they run their offense, IMO.

You also see rookies QBs making a plethora of plays and such. Cam Newton is head and shoulders above expectations and keeping is very, very, very crappy team competitive. Andy Dalton has been magnificent this year; and he should have completed the comeback earlier today.

I do not think that defenses are playing like crap; most of the rules goes against them (we know this all too well). I also think that the defense must catch up and adjust and adapt to these new offensive passing schemes (even Lebeau has adjusted to more press this year). I do think it will be a couple of years till you see a defense that can completely shutdown a good offense this year week in and week out. The Ravens are the closest, IMO. But they cannot do it every week. The Steelers have been CBs for the future so hopefully we can stop a spread offense more effectively.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

It's this sissy ass "in the name of player safety" garbage. CB's no longer can make a hit to jar the ball, ensuring that every pass that is thrown decent is a completion. Leading with the helmet used to only be called if it looked like the tackler wanted to injure the ball carrier. It's goodell's BS transformation. I haven't seen one big hit go unpunished, the dictator has to go before the league turns to complete sh#t.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,139 Times in 557 Posts

I about threw up today when the Packers were given like 50 million PI calls when they needed it the most

Goodell catering to the Hardcore Fantasy League losers is why this game is turning into sh**

Every Pass Now you have the Soccer Effect of Players whining their ass off for a flag and the refs usually obliging

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

One of my biggest complaints is the officiating. It has been awful, and not just with these lame personal foul penalties for big hits. Game to game its inconsistent and for crying out loud the interference penalties being called (or not called) are ridiculous. Lack of consistency in the same game is atrocious same with the holding calls or lack thereof.
Rick5895 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

I could not agree more. The games are not being decided by the whims of the officials. It's turned into professional basketball, all offense and no defense. I am just not as interested in the game as I used to be. It's gotten to the point that I am not not even watching non Steeler games anymore.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 AM   #10
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

I agree...... However, any talk radio will tell you "Ratings are up"