Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Things that make me go hmmm

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Monday, November 21, 2011
Things that make me go hmmm

The Steelers have scored points on 60 percent of their opening possessions of the game. On all of their other possessions, they score 34 percent of the time.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians scripts the first 15 plays of the game and - seemingly - they work well.

It makes me wonder why the team struggles so much after they're done with the script.

Part of it, I'm sure, are adjustments made by the other team. Another part of the blame could also fall on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's shoulders.

Roethlisberger calls audibles quite a bit and sometimes it just doesn't work.

Perhaps the best thing would be for the Steelers to run Arians' scripted plays and then go to a no-huddle, when Roethlisberger seems to be at his best.

© Pittsburgh is unbeaten when it scores on its opening possession, 1-3 when it doesn't.

© It's been a tough couple of weeks for quarterbacks, with Jay Cutler going down on Sunday.

This came after Matt Cassell, Matt Schaub and others were lost for the season the weekend before.

It shows why the league has the protection rules in place for its QBs. We'll see tonight how Tyler Palko does replacing Cassell.

© If that wasn't a touchdown by Cincinnati's Jermaine Gresham in the fourth quarter against Baltimore, they should just stop playing the game.

Gresham pulled the ball in, had it under his control when he crossed the goal line and took three steps.

Then he lost the ball when he went to the ground.

If that happened in the field of play, it's a catch. If he were a runner and did that, it's a touchdown.

But since the ball was thrown, it's not a score?

Ridiculous. It's a rule that needs to be changed.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Default Re: Things that make me go hmmm

Yes, that was definitely a catch. The automatic review of TD's is ridiculous. It makes the celebration meaningless and causes more harm than good. Why give coaches a red flag to use if you are going to review every TD regardless?!

The refs are terrible this season; worst ever. If you make a big catch and flip the ball to the opposing coach, you SHOULD get a penalty (stupidity clause), but the catch shouldn't be negated...WTF?! I think the refs should get fined for making bad calls (or missing calls altogether), it sure would help them get it right.

I will say the fact a lot of QB's are going down has nothing to do with the hits themselves, they are just weak QB's. Cutler out with a broken thumb and needs immediate surgery (out for undetermined amount of time)-Ben plays each and every down with the same broken thumb. The NFL has focused too much on talent and not enough on strength and conditioning. Cutler is too "squishy" for NFL (many other QB's as well).

This is a man's game, if you can't take a hit, don't play. If you get knocked out for going to catch a pass, the QB should be blamed for throwing it poorly. If you stop your route and let the CB catch an interception because you are afraid to get hit, you are a wimp (see Bengals/Ravens game).
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

The officials are on the take. I mean lets wake up and smell the coffee. High School games are called better.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
#1LambertFan
Starter

Member Number: 5489

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
The officials are on the take. I mean lets wake up and smell the coffee. High School games are called better.
I think JA games are called well. They keep the penalties simple. Refs seem to be the second undefeated team this year
#1LambertFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

We've got Bizarro Arians this season. Year after year, I've watched the Steelers go 3 & out on the first quarter or two and then turn it on late in the game.

Now they score 2 or 3 TDs early on and save the 3 & outs for late in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like scoring early, but we really need to stop it with the dead end drives, regardless of how much of the game is left to play.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I don't totally blame the refs- From what I've read and heard on the radio is that they have been instructed by the league (Goodell) that when in doubt....throw the flag. IMO that is the opposite of what they should do- when in doubt, let the players play the game.

Just another example why Goodell is ruining the best game in the world!
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
I don't totally blame the refs- From what I've read and heard on the radio is that they have been instructed by the league (Goodell) that when in doubt....throw the flag. IMO that is the opposite of what they should do- when in doubt, let the players play the game.

Just another example why Goodell is ruining the best game in the world!
YEAH THIS!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
steelcity006
Water Boy

Member Number: 19198

that was a terrible call by the refs, i dont know how that wasnt a catch but if the refs hadnt blown that game for the bengals, the bengals would have had a great chance to win (or at least send it to OT because there last drive inside the redzone was pathetic) but a bengals win would have really helped the steeler. Luckily, baltimore has a tough game against San Fran, anyone know if that game is in San Fran? cause thats great if it is. Baltimore cant win on the west coast. they barly beat arizona and lost to seattle
steelcity006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

I very rarely see us keep the pedal to the floor for 60 min so I would love to see them have a statement game against the chiefs and keep the pedal to the floor!!
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,198 Times in 476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler4life1972 View Post
I very rarely see us keep the pedal to the floor for 60 min so I would love to see them have a statement game against the chiefs and keep the pedal to the floor!!
chiefs should be an easy game......SHOULD be. so i wouldnt count that as a "statement" game even if we win by 35. beating the 9ers could be a statement game
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote