Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Sanders likely to return Sunday

Sanders likely to return Sunday
WR hopes he picks up where he left off

Friday, November 25, 2011
By Sam Werner, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Like a lot of players, Emmanuel Sanders wants to get into coaching when his playing days end. That does not mean the Steelers wide receiver, who is expected to return this week after missing two games because of knee surgery, is ready to put on a headset.

"[The injury] made me make a realization about this game," said Sanders, 24.

"Don't take it for granted. Today could be my last day. You've just got to come at it from that perspective."

Sanders practiced fully Wednesday and Thursday and, barring an unexpected setback, expects to play Sunday night against the Chiefs in Kansas City. He injured his knee in the Steelers' 25-17 win against New England Oct. 30 and had arthroscopic surgery shortly thereafter.

Thursday, Sanders said his knee felt good and that there has been no swelling, a good sign in his recovery.

"I just go to practice, try and put some WD-40 on my game," he said."I've been out for two weeks so I'm looking to pick up where I left off."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Sanders was not quite playing at his pre-injury level but that he expected him to get back there by Sunday.

The injury came just as Sanders was starting to find his groove in the Steelers offense. After six consecutive games of two or fewer catches, he had five receptions against both Arizona and New England.

In the past two games, however, Antonio Brown has excelled in Sanders' role, catching five passes for 109 yards against the Baltimore Ravens and five more for 86 against the Cincinnati Bengals. Sanders made it clear, though, that there is no position battle going on between them.

"At the end of the day, we're a receiving corps," he said. "I'm extremely happy for those guys. I hope I can come in and add a new dimension to make us even better."

Arians said that Sanders' understanding of the game as both an inside and outside receiver make him a valuable asset.

Fellow receiver Mike Wallace noted Sanders is one of the most cerebral of the receivers, likely a good reason a role on the sidelines may be in his future.

"Everything you tell him, he takes it in," Wallace said. "He always says that, when he's done playing football, he wants to be a coach, so everything he does is real technical.

"He really wants to learn."

During his recovery, Sanders also dealt with the loss of his mother, who died Nov. 1. He said the hardest part was comforting his younger sisters, 19 and 22.

"They leaned on my mom a lot," he said.

"So, now, I've got to come in and fill that void. I've embraced it, just filling that role. They kind of took it hard, so I had to be there for them."

Wallace said he called and texted Sanders, letting him know that his teammates were there to support him through the grieving process.

"They've helped me out a lot," Sanders said. "They've been definitely like a band of brothers, my support system. Whenever I get down or if anything happens, I go to them."

As difficult as the past few weeks have been for him, Sanders said he has grown from the experience.

"I'm only 24 years old, but it seems like I'm going through a lot," he said.

"At the end of the day, I always look at the glass half full. That's just how I look at life. I'm always going to try and have fun, and I'm going to continue to be that way."

NOTES -- Ben Roethlisberger (right thumb) participated fully in practice Thursday after limited participation Wednesday. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) was limited both days, but safety Troy Polamalu (ribs) practiced fully both days.
Sam Werner: swerner@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1459

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11329...#ixzz1ejIntdLC
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Sanders likely to return Sunday

I guess Woodley will be out for Sunday?.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,505 Times in 2,338 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
I guess Woodley will be out for Sunday?.....
shouldnt rush him back, we wont need to against kc
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Woodley is needed for a huge division matchup next week against Cincinnati. No need to rush him against a very weak Kansas City team right now. Hell, LSU's defense can probably shut Kansas City out at this point.

Now, with Sanders back, it looks like the WR Corps will be Wallace, Brown, Cotchery, Sanders, Ward. That's one helluva 5 wide-out set!
Old 11-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Oh i agree on not rushing him back 100% to play KC....More worried about how his hamstring injury is coming along.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #6
gee_willikers
Water Boy

Member Number: 19211

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Oh i agree on not rushing him back 100% to play KC....More worried about how his hamstring injury is coming along.
I am too, it seems because of the lockout and lack of conditioning, a lot of guys who should only be out one week because of a pulled hamstring are out for weeks.