Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default First & 10 with Steelers tackle Marcus Gilbert

First & 10 with Steelers tackle Marcus Gilbert
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/st...tml?mode=print
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Marcus Gilbert

The Steelers' starting right tackle, a rookie taken in the second-round of this year's NFL Draft, took some time before practice this week to answer these decidedly non-football questions from Times pro football writer Mike Bires:

As a guy who grew up in Fort Lauderdale and then attended the University of Florida, you've never experienced a full winter. But you will soon. What are your teammates telling you about winters in western Pennsylvania?

"Get ready. Bundle up. You can't bundle up when you're out on the field (on game day). You let adrenalin warm you up. But outside of football, bundle up. It's going to be crazy. Right now, I don't have any winter jackets. I guess I'll have to go shopping here very soon."

You've only been living in Pittsburgh for a few months, but so far what do you like best about the city?

"The people around this town ... it doesn't get any better than this. The great people you run into. And Mount Washington, that's a beautiful overlook of the city. It's very unique."

What's your favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh?

"Since I live in the North Hills, I'll have to say Hal's Bar and Grill. It's close to where I live and the food's great. The wings are the best wings I've ever had. And the service is really good. It's awesome ... especially if you want to watch sports because they have a lot of TVs around. Nice low-key spot ... I love going there."

Growing up in Fort Lauderdale, who was your favorite athlete?

"By far my favorite athlete was Shaquille O'Neal. I was a huge basketball fan. He was always dominant, the most physical guy on that court. I kind of took that with me when I played basketball."

What kind of basketball player were you?

"I was really good. I guess you can say I was better defensively, but I scored my share of points down in the low post. I grew up playing basketball because I was too big to play football as a kid. Basketball was my first love."

Did you have a name for any of your best dunks?

"No. They were nothing too fancy ... just the basic two-handed flush."

In July when you signed your first pro contract, did you do anything special? Did you buy anything you've always wanted?

"I bought furniture for my house and I bought a new car. That's about it. I didn't do anything too fancy. I've been told with that first contract, you put a lot of money away and save because you never know if you'll get that second contract."

What was it like having a father who was former Secret Service agent who guarded presidents of the United States?

"I was a very interesting experience to see what my dad did for a living and because of all the people I've had the chance to meet because of him. I'm really proud of what my dad accomplished."

Who is the most fascinating person you met because of your father?

"The president right now, Barack Obama. I got a chance to meet him and be in his company a few times. It was a very humbling experience, something I'll always cherish."

Speaking of Obama, did you vote for him?

"I'd like to keep that confidential."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: First & 10 with Steelers tackle Marcus Gilbert

Great Read
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote