Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-18-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Let 'em ride ... with helmets: Players' contracts should address basic protection

What U guys think?

================================================
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ger/index.html
================================================

The first thing I'd like to hear out of Ben Roethlisberger's mouth when he speaks to the public is: "I'm going to wear a helmet every time I ride a motorcycle from now on.''

The second thing I'd like to hear him say is: "Of course, I'm not going to get on a motorcycle again until I retire from football.''

After people let out a sigh of relief that Roethlisberger was OK, here's what most of them said: "Why is the kid riding a motorcycle? It's too dangerous anyway.''

Not me. Hundreds of athletes ride motorcycles. You're telling me that no active player should be allowed to ride a motorcycle and that every team should have a no-bike clause in every player's contract? I don't buy it. Athletes shouldn't be banned from an activity like that. But I'll tell you what clause should be in every player's contract: a stipulation that a player's deal could be voided if he's ever found to be riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

And while we're at it, how dumb does Pennsylvania look for not making helmets mandatory? I heard a state legislator on the radio this morning say that this accident wouldn't cause him to change his mind. It's about human rights, he said. Riders should not be forced to wear a helmet.

I've got one for you, Mr. Politician. Let's repeal seat-belt laws, and gun laws, and minimum drinking ages, and let's just let America be the Wild, Wild West. Do what you want, when you want.

Laws are made to protect people, even when they think they don't need protecting. Wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle is about as basic as one can get in terms of human safety. It's irresponsible to argue the other side.

I'm glad to hear Roethlisberger is going to be OK. The game, its fans and that city would miss him terribly if he were laid up.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
BBC
Team Captain

Member Number: 2109
Default Re: Let 'em ride ... with helmets: Players' contracts should address basic protection

I think this is getting a little ridiculous. Don't we have more important things going on in the NFL than players riding motorcycles without helmets? How about the fact that Chris Henry got arrested for what? The fourth time in his short career? Or that guys like Sean Taylor and Jamal Lewis are still playing in the league without missing a single game. Why is the focus on motorcycle helmets and touchdown celebrations, when there is so much wrong with the NFL already?
BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Let 'em ride ... with helmets: Players' contracts should address basic protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
I think this is getting a little ridiculous. Don't we have more important things going on in the NFL than players riding motorcycles without helmets? How about the fact that Chris Henry got arrested for what? The fourth time in his short career? Or that guys like Sean Taylor and Jamal Lewis are still playing in the league without missing a single game. Why is the focus on motorcycle helmets and touchdown celebrations, when there is so much wrong with the NFL already?
BBC, I agree there is more important issues going on in the NFL then motorcyle riding and wearing or not wearing helmets. But I think these athletes should stay off of them. There is millions of dollars invested in these players. I know NFL contracts are not guaranteed like other pro sports contracts. But the teams still have to pay signing bonus's to the players. I think the players owe their organizations that much to say off the motorcycles. Just my though on the issue. But I'm a simple nobody. Anyway is it football season yet?
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
BBC
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
BBC, I agree there is more important issues going on in the NFL then motorcyle riding and wearing or not wearing helmets. But I think these athletes should stay off of them. There is millions of dollars invested in these players. I know NFL contracts are not guaranteed like other pro sports contracts. But the teams still have to pay signing bonus's to the players. I think the players owe their organizations that much to say off the motorcycles. Just my though on the issue. But I'm a simple nobody. Anyway is it football season yet?
I get where you're coming from, and I agree that players shouldn't be on motorcycles. I just feel that we should see more articles about guys like Henry, Taylor, and Lewis, and less like these.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
I get where you're coming from, and I agree that players shouldn't be on motorcycles. I just feel that we should see more articles about guys like Henry, Taylor, and Lewis, and less like these.
I totally agree BBC. There should be more attention focused on the thug problem in the NFL. But one thing to consider also. Chris Henry, Sean Taylor and Jamal Lewis are not as a big of name as Ben Roethlisberger. Thats the big reason there was so much attention for Ben's wreck. Big Ben is QB for the defending Super Bowl champs and the youngest QB ever to win one. So thats why Ben recieved so much attention.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,057 Times in 2,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
i could go for more articles about guys like jerome, warric dunn, and walter payton
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
BBC
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i could go for more articles about guys like jerome, warric dunn, and walter payton
Yes, but I'm sure you understand the point that I'm making.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

BTW Ben did say if he rides again he will wear a helmet.
The media today is into reporting what will get more attention then "feel good stories".
Old 06-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Ok I have two points here. One I agree you have a drug dealer and somebody that shoots at people and a piece of shit like chris henry who dont have anything in there contracts about being a dumb ass. But people are bitching about helmets? come on what the hell is wrong with people. Why I take offense to this shit so much is because i'm bens age 24 and i've been riding a sport bike for 8 years. Let me tell you without being bashed that I very rarely wear a helmet. Ok peeps let me have it. But my point is this being 24 i can really stick up for ben on the fact that america is a free country pro sports teams shouldnt be telling a grown man what he can and cannont due. Ben didnt break the law when he rode without a helmet the way i dont break the law when I ride a helmet. What alot of people forget is bens 24, Yes he is a leader of a pro sports team but let the man act his age without bitching at him for doing so. He isnt bungy jumping or jumping out of planes. Let it go people
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
Ok I have two points here. One I agree you have a drug dealer and somebody that shoots at people and a piece of shit like chris henry who dont have anything in there contracts about being a dumb ass. But people are bitching about helmets? come on what the hell is wrong with people. Why I take offense to this shit so much is because i'm bens age 24 and i've been riding a sport bike for 8 years. Let me tell you without being bashed that I very rarely wear a helmet. Ok peeps let me have it. But my point is this being 24 i can really stick up for ben on the fact that america is a free country pro sports teams shouldnt be telling a grown man what he can and cannont due. Ben didnt break the law when he rode without a helmet the way i dont break the law when I ride a helmet. What alot of people forget is bens 24, Yes he is a leader of a pro sports team but let the man act his age without bitching at him for doing so. He isnt bungy jumping or jumping out of planes. Let it go people
Ok big difference between you and Ben is. You don't have millions of dollars invested in you like the Steelers do with Ben. Ben can't act like a normal 24 old man and has to hold himself to a higher standard. I think he owes the Steelers and his teammates to say off the bike.