Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default A new backup?

Alright as many of you know i'm not a huge Charlie Batch fan. Yes he did get us through a couple games last year but I dont think he would be the answer if for some reason bens injury would hold him up. So I ask you all this do you think we should look into a backup via free agency or possibly make a trade. Tell me what you all think
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254
Default Re: A new backup?

No ... given that we still haven't gone through camp if the coaching staff thinks we are in trouble then is the time to make a move.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
Alright as many of you know i'm not a huge Charlie Batch fan. Yes he did get us through a couple games last year but I dont think he would be the answer if for some reason bens injury would hold him up. So I ask you all this do you think we should look into a backup via free agency or possibly make a trade. Tell me what you all think
Yes Batch has had a history of injuries throughout his entire NFL career. Thats why I call him "The Candle". One blow and he is out. So that is a concern. But who is really out there to sign as a free agent? Sure Kerry Collins is out there. But he would cost to much and can't escape a pass rush to save his life. Tommy and Kordell are out there as well. But I say pass on them.

Now if you explore the trade route. You always give way to much up for QB's. I remember when it cost the Dolphins a 2nd pick for A.J. Feeley. So I say if Ben can't go at the start of the season. You might as well go with "The Candle" oh I mean Charlie Batch. This is why I hope Omar Jacobs develops quickly so he can be the backup to Ben one day.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

I tend to forget about jacobs. I love this kid I think he has a great amount of potential and i can't wait to watch him in the future. I just remeber when batch was with the lions and he couldnt get it done with the wr core he had there. The reason the dolphins gave so much for feely is because they thought he was way more talented then he actually was. Remeber that year when mcnabb went down detmer and feely both looked like pro bowlers when they got in there. It was really just the system. I have a great amount of respect for both cowboy back up qbs. and i truely believe hensen could be a great talent. so why not call jerry boy and at least ask?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
I tend to forget about jacobs. I love this kid I think he has a great amount of potential and i can't wait to watch him in the future. I just remeber when batch was with the lions and he couldnt get it done with the wr core he had there. The reason the dolphins gave so much for feely is because they thought he was way more talented then he actually was. Remeber that year when mcnabb went down detmer and feely both looked like pro bowlers when they got in there. It was really just the system. I have a great amount of respect for both cowboy back up qbs. and i truely believe hensen could be a great talent. so why not call jerry boy and at least ask?
I'm just saying teams seem to alway over value QB's. Plus you have to think if a team does have a solid backup would they want to give him up due to the fact that their starter might go down with injury. If a team is usually trading a QB. There must be a reason behind it. But one backup QB that I do like but the Steelers would have to give up to much to get him is Matt Schaub of the Falcons.

I like Omar Jacobs alot myself. I'm a big fan of the Mac conference and have watched Chad Pennigton, Byron Leftwich, Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Fyre and Omar all when they were in college. Jacobs has alot of talent and upside. He could develop into a real solid QB one day.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Matt Schaub is a great young qb part of me thinks the reason why the falcons have held onto him is because they will let Michael Vick go next year when he is a free agent. One thing i would like to mention is during the draft the vikings supposedly offered there number one pick and the falcons turned it down. Why do that when you have a super star qb. makes you think huh
Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Matt Schaub is a great young qb part of me thinks the reason why the falcons have held onto him is because they will let Michael Vick go next year when he is a free agent. One thing i would like to mention is during the draft the vikings supposedly offered there number one pick and the falcons turned it down. Why do that when you have a super star qb. makes you think huh
I agree thats why the Falcons held onto Matt. Matt is actually a way better fit for their west coast offense that the Falcons run. Thats why I stated usaully when a team trades a QB there is a reason for it. If that backup QB is any good the team usually holds on to them.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #8
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

I know this is way off the topic but I really feel that vick his overrated. He turns the ball over to much. I would let him walk in free agency and mold schaub who could really run moras west coast offense better anyways. Have any of you heard that the falcons will probably run more out of the shotgun this year to help vick out more. Hello this is the nfl not ncaa that shit isnt going to work
Old 06-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,204 Times in 2,670 Posts

drew henson couldnt beat out quincy carter, tony romo, or chad hutchinson. yet brady could beat out bledsoe. henson is a flop and the steelers wouldnt give up a bag of peanuts for him.. atleast o. jacobs has potential and upside. weve seen what a rookie qb can do in this system. sure, he wouldnt be virtually perfect like ben but definitely better than d. henson.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
I know this is way off the topic but I really feel that vick his overrated. He turns the ball over to much. I would let him walk in free agency and mold schaub who could really run moras west coast offense better anyways. Have any of you heard that the falcons will probably run more out of the shotgun this year to help vick out more. Hello this is the nfl not ncaa that shit isnt going to work
Well Vick isn't a good fit for the west coast offense. The Falcons probally are doing that to play to his strengths. If the Falcons are going to continue running the west coast offense. I think it would be in their best interest to let Vick walk and start Schaub. But if the Falcons do indeed let Vick walk that probally would upset their fanbase and ticket sales could suffer. Thats the sad part of pro sports were money rules.