Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: A new backup?

I like Charlie. But I will be honest and admit that I worry about his tendency toward injury. If it comes down to it, I foresee Bill C. developing Omar as quickly as possible for a reason. So that if, for whatever reason Ben isn't ready, then we play Charlie as long as we can until he becomes injured....then shift to Omar with a conservative offense much the same way we did with Ben in 2004.
All IMO, of course.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #12
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Re: A new backup?

i've heard that jacobs has unreal potential. So why not start molding him now
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
drew henson couldnt beat out quincy carter, tony romo, or chad hutchinson. yet brady could beat out bledsoe. henson is a flop and the steelers wouldnt give up a bag of peanuts for him.. atleast o. jacobs has potential and upside. weve seen what a rookie qb can do in this system. sure, he wouldnt be virtually perfect like ben but definitely better than d. henson.
Agree Tony. I liked Henson when he was at Michigan. But since his return to football. Henson hasn't done it for me. Steelers might as well just stick with Omar and develop him. Omar skills are alot like Ben's. Of course I couldn't see the Steelers going 15-1 with Omar like they did with Ben. But then again who knows.

As much as I liked Ben and wanted the Steelers to draft him. I also wanted Ben to play right away. I never thought the Steelers would be 15-1 in 2004 when Ben took over for Tommy when Tommy was injured.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #14
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
drew henson couldnt beat out quincy carter, tony romo, or chad hutchinson. yet brady could beat out bledsoe. henson is a flop and the steelers wouldnt give up a bag of peanuts for him.. atleast o. jacobs has potential and upside. weve seen what a rookie qb can do in this system. sure, he wouldnt be virtually perfect like ben but definitely better than d. henson.
very good point. however you have to remeber he was out of football for awhile. I watched his play with nfl europe and thought he was very impressive.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #15
RichmondVA
Banned

Member Number: 540

During & after training camps every year, cuts are made and all positions will have some big names on it. I don't like the idea of a trade now for a back-up QB; but if camp proves we have a need, a cap casualty QB could help the Steelers.
RichmondVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #16
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Right now I'm glad that we have Batch in camp and under contract. The "Candle" reference is probably funniest thing I'll hear today. But he knows the playbook and he'll at least keep defenses from jamming the line of scrimmage on EVERY PLAY.

But how bad will Willie Parker start to look if Jacobs is taking snaps? There is no way of knowing if that funky side arm throw will ever make it over the helmets (insert bad motorcycle joke here) of NFL lineman.

The Candle may wax injury but a rookie 3rd stringer? Hines Ward may be a better option than that this season.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
Right now I'm glad that we have Batch in camp and under contract. The "Candle" reference is probably funniest thing I'll hear today. But he knows the playbook and he'll at least keep defenses from jamming the line of scrimmage on EVERY PLAY.

But how bad will Willie Parker start to look if Jacobs is taking snaps? There is no way of knowing if that funky side arm throw will ever make it over the helmets (insert bad motorcycle joke here) of NFL lineman.

The Candle may wax injury but a rookie 3rd stringer? Hines Ward may be a better option than that this season.
i dont see the side throwing a problem. Gannon threw that way and so does vince young
Old 06-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt

Dude I like Batch as the backup. But he just has the worst luck in staying healthy. Look at the two games he started last year against the Pack and Browns. That Browns game he banged his finger on a helmet and broke it. Thats just how it has gone for Mr. Batch in his NFL career. I remember watching that game with my uncle. When Batch was injured he said no suprise one blow and Batch is out. Thats when "The Candle" nickname popped in my head.

I like Jacobs as the future backup to this team. Sure he has funky side arm throw. But there have been other QB's who have had it also and had good NFL careers.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #19
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Once camp starts....IF the staff doesnt feel Ben will be ready, they can do something...the closer you get to the season...the cheaper some of the unemployed guys (Collins) will be...
Old 06-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #20
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
Dude I like Batch as the backup. But he just has the worst luck in staying healthy. Look at the two games he started last year against the Pack and Browns. That Browns game he banged his finger on a helmet and broke it. Thats just how it has gone for Mr. Batch in his NFL career. I remember watching that game with my uncle. When Batch was injured he said no suprise one blow and Batch is out. Thats when "The Candle" nickname popped in my head.

I like Jacobs as the future backup to this team. Sure he has funky side arm throw. But there have been other QB's who have had it also and had good NFL careers.
I'm talking about this season. In 12 weeks how is Rookie going to learn the offense? Read defenses? Is Batch our future backup? Hell no.

What I am saying is that if Ben can't play and the Candle goes out, then we may have to think a little unconventionally to maintain possession of the football. If Jacobs has to go out there to become a hand-off machine then defenses will just load up on the line. If they let him throw 3-and- outs or worse interceptions may be far too common.

Obviously I hope Jacobs can compete with Ben for 1st string. But even the freak rookie known as Ben struggled. And since I doubt lightning will strike twice for the Steelers using a hybrid like Hines at QB for a number of possessions each game may be our only option. He knows the playbook and he can read defenses.

That is if Ben and Batch can't play on September 7th. Or worse. Maddox.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote