Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #21
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: A new backup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
I'm talking about this season. In 12 weeks how is Rookie going to learn the offense? Read defenses? Is Batch our future backup? Hell no.

What I am saying is that if Ben can't play and the Candle goes out, then we may have to think a little unconventionally to maintain possession of the football. If Jacobs has to go out there to become a hand-off machine then defenses will just load up on the line. If they let him throw 3-and- outs or worse interceptions may be far too common.

Obviously I hope Jacobs can compete with Ben for 1st string. But even the freak rookie known as Ben struggled. And since I doubt lightning will strike twice for the Steelers using a hybrid like Hines at QB for a number of possessions each game may be our only option. He knows the playbook and he can read defenses.

That is if Ben and Batch can't play on September 7th. Or worse. Maddox.
All I'm going to say if Omar has to play alot this year. We didn't think the Steelers would go 15-1 with Ben starting most of the year in 2004. Is it likely to happen again I doubt it. But who knows? Ben will be fine though and Omar will get to learn from the sidelines.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #22
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
i dont see the side throwing a problem. Gannon threw that way and so does vince young
Okay Gannon.

Who knows about Young? Like I've said in the past the Rose Bowl performance has almost everthing to do with a USC defensive MELTDOWN than it did with Vince Young. I not anywhere close to being sold on Young.

The one thing I keep hearing about Jacobs is that his accuracy is laser-guided. From what I can tell about what HE thinks is that he is there to compete with Ben.

You have to love THAT about him...and he's not getting arrested.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
Alright as many of you know i'm not a huge Charlie Batch fan. Yes he did get us through a couple games last year but I dont think he would be the answer if for some reason bens injury would hold him up. So I ask you all this do you think we should look into a backup via free agency or possibly make a trade. Tell me what you all think
I'm not a huge Batch fan either, but the pickings are slim out there at the QB position. I think Batch would be OK for a game or two against a weak defense, but anything beyond that I would be nervous with him behind center. Hopefully, Ben will be ready when the season opens (though I wouldn't bet my life on it) and we won't have to be concerned.

Let Omar Jacobs develop and keep Batch at #2 unless an offer comes along for a vet QB that the Steelers can't refuse.
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:07 AM   #24
sheba

Member Number:

Go with the trade
Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 AM   #25
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
Once camp starts....IF the staff doesnt feel Ben will be ready, they can do something...the closer you get to the season...the cheaper some of the unemployed guys (Collins) will be...
Oh hell no you didn't just bring up Collins!!! I get your point about wanting a veteran backup but there is now way that any of them left out there are worth even looking at, IMO. Least of all Collins, just thinking about that guy in B&G makes my stomach queezy. Typically the learning curve would be less of an issue, I understand, but you have to have someone that has some knowledge of our playbook. Let's face it, if there's backup in the game all they have to know how to do is hand the ball off and throw dink and dunks anyway.
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #26
section514
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1401

can we wait like maybe a month to see how ben is doing before we worry about a backup for Batch
section514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #27
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122

I'm with ya, besides we still have Rutherford with us too.
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote