Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Report Card: Game 11 vs. Chiefs

Steelers Report Card: Game 11 vs. Chiefs
Gerry Dulac grades the Steelers' effort Sunday in their victory against Kansas City
Monday, November 28, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

QUARTERBACKS C

A fractured right thumb did not appear to bother Ben Roethlisberger, especially on the opening series when he completed five of six passes for 76 yards. He completed 14 of 20 passes for 127 yards in the first half, but the offense failed to take advantage of good field position after three takeaways by the defense. And it didn't get any better in the second half -- a poor throw into double coverage was picked.

RUNNING BACKS C+

The Steelers didn't attack the league's 28th ranked rush defense as much as they should have in the first half, rushing 13 times for 53 yards. Rashard Mendenhall had 21 yards on six carries in the first half and finished with 57 yards on 17 attempts. Mistakes hurt the offense in the first half, including Mewelde Moore's fumble. Moore had a couple big plays, though, on the field-goal drive at the end of the half.

WIDE RECEIVERS C

Probably the most notable accomplishment was Hines Ward starting and catching four passes for 21 yards. Antonio Brown had two of his four catches for 51 yards that ended with Moore's fumble in the end zone and TE Heath Miller had a costly holding penalty that wiped out a 21-yard Mendenhall run. TE Weslye Saunders made a nice catch in the back of the end zone on his 2-yard TD.

OFFENSIVE LINE C-

More juggling up front, but that wasn't to blame for some of the sloppy protection. Doug Legursky, who replaced Chris Kemoeatu as the starting LG, moved to center in the second quarter because Maurkice Pouncey was sick. It was a tough first half for LT Max Starks, who gave up a sack and had two penalties. The Chiefs had an AFC-low 12 sacks in 10 games but had two against Roethlisberger.

DEFENSIVE LINE C-

The line appeared to settle down after allowing the Chiefs to rush for 19 yards on five of the first six plays that resulted in a field goal. But then they let the Chiefs control the ball for 13 plays on a field-goal drive that made it 13-9. And letting the Chiefs have two long drives late in the fourth quarter was inexcusable for a defense that has made a habit of blowing leads. Good thing for DE Brett Keisel, who recovered a fumble.

LINEBACKERS C+

Too many underneath passes and not enough pressure on QB Tyler Palko allowed a bad Chiefs offense to hang in the game. The Steelers pressured Palko into bad throws but didn't register a sack until Jason Worilds got his first of the season late in the third quarter. ILB Lawrence Timmons made a nice play to blow up a wildcat run on third-and-1. Worilds was the best linebacker on the field.

DEFENSIVE BACKS B

Three interceptions in one game after just four in the first 10 sounds good, but Palko threw the ball right to Ike Taylor and Ryan Mundy on the first two. CB Keenan Lewis made a nice leaping pick to end a final threat. After having only six takeaways in the first 10 games, the Steelers had three in the first half. Mundy was replacing S Troy Polamalu, who left the game in the first quarter with a head injury.

SPECIAL TEAMS B-

The Steelers didn't make any splash plays in the return game, but their coverage units were solid again. Shaun Suisham kicked a pair of field goals in the first half, including a 49-yarder with no time remaining to give the Steelers a 13-6 lead. Not a good move all the way around when Steelers wasted a timeout and P Jeremy Kapinos punted into the end zone from KC 39.

COACHING C

A sloppy performance against a team that came within 37 yards of pulling an embarrassing upset is not exactly encouraging. Too many gaffes in the first half cost the Steelers several scoring chances, but they benefitted from two KC defensive holding penalties on their lone TD drive. A defense that had just six takeaways in the first 10 games came up with three in the first half, even though it led to only 10 points.
Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com; twitter: @gerrydulac

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11332...#ixzz1f0E2QEvk
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: Steelers Report Card: Game 11 vs. Chiefs

I would go so far as to drop the Receivers to a D. Had Wallace not dropped the TD pass in the back of the endzone this game may not have been so close late. Add to that, a couple of drops by Heath & a costly drop by Antonio Brown.

I might even drop the coaching a bit. Why is it that this team comes out so flat against inferiror opponents? Especially after a bye week? You would expect a veteran-laden team with Super Bowl aspirations to come out and destroy a team like KC. It seems to be a lack of preparation, which is a coaching issue.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Wallace had a couple of drops. And he couldn't seem to control his temper, as he got into a couple of skirmishes. He's usually very focused. I hope Tomlin has a stern talk with him this week. Easily the worst game he's played.

I don't know that i'd give the RB's as high as a C +. Once again, as always, when Mendenhall stutters, jukes, and jives, he gets stuffed each time for a loss or a 'no-gain'. When he bulls forward without hesitation, he gets gains, sometimes big gains.

I usually don't get on the "Harrison is being held" bandwagon, but this time i SAW it...clearly, a couple of times....once center-screen, crystal clear....on a replay that Michaels and Collinsworth were analyzing and they didn't even mention it.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Wallace had a couple of drops. And he couldn't seem to control his temper, as he got into a couple of skirmishes. He's usually very focused. I hope Tomlin has a stern talk with him this week. Easily the worst game he's played.

I don't know that i'd give the RB's as high as a C +. Once again, as always, Mendenhall stutters, jukes, and jives and gets stuffed each time for a loss or a 'no-gain'. When he bulls forward without hesitation, he gets gains, sometimes big gains.

I usually don't get on the "Harrison is being held" bandwagon, but this time i SAW it...clearly....once center-screen, crystal clear....on a replay that Michaels and Collinsworth were analyzing and they didn't even mention it.
Of course Collinsworth didn't see it. I'd be surprised if he wasn't wearing a Bengals thong underneath his suit. He tries to stifle it, but he just can't seem to bury his hatred for the Steelers...it always bleeds through.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I would go so far as to drop the Receivers to a D. Had Wallace not dropped the TD pass in the back of the endzone this game may not have been so close late. Add to that, a couple of drops by Heath & a costly drop by Antonio Brown.

I might even drop the coaching a bit. Why is it that this team comes out so flat against inferiror opponents? Especially after a bye week? You would expect a veteran-laden team with Super Bowl aspirations to come out and destroy a team like KC. It seems to be a lack of preparation, which is a coaching issue.
That seems to be the norm for the Steelers, playing down to the opponents level. Our record after a bye week isnt that great either but, other teams seem to do it very well. Its something i guess we'll never know. I also give it a big fat D for the whole performance.
But hey!, it is what it is.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers Report Card: Game 11 vs. Chiefs

LINEBACKERS C+

Worilds was the best linebacker on the field.
Wait, I thought Worilds was supposed to be a bust .... or at a minimum, he should suck?

All kidding aside, I thought Worilds had a pretty good game and think he has great potential. I saw a handful of his games when he was with V-Tech and was pretty happy when the Steelers drafted him. My impression is that he's a bigger, faster version of Joey Porter (and probably won't get himself shot in the azz).

I also thought Timmons played well and seemed to make critical plays when it mattered most.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Pathetic Team display of Football(Well I guess more the O and Coaching staff....D played average)

I said this last night,

For all our supposed age and experience, we sure do play like a bunch of rookies an awful lot

Its getting to be too late in the season to be bumbling around like this

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I usually don't get on the "Harrison is being held" bandwagon, but this time i SAW it...clearly, a couple of times....once center-screen, crystal clear....on a replay that Michaels and Collinsworth were analyzing and they didn't even mention it.
Like most announcers, I think Collinsworth bandwagons the team that is performing the best during a game. I've heard him mention in a game last year (can't remember which one), after a replay of Harrison getting dragged to the ground, that the refs could throw the flag on just about every passing play (somehow a chokehold by the tackle against Harrison is legal?). And Collinsworth did give Ben a few kudos during the game. The truth is, the Steelers underperformed and it makes it tough for the announcers to go all in when they are seeing such sloppy play. 4 turnovers should have resulted in much more than 13 points. Don't get me wrong, when the Steelers are losing it's tough listening to any of those d-baggers such as Mike (Shrek) Tirico, Simms, Dierdorf, etc, rattle on .... you might as well put the t.v. on mute.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I would give the d line and LB's a B. They stopped the run and the defense only allowed 9 points. The DB's would get an A+ but they got beat a few times, I would say A-. Ben gets a C, would have had more completions but there were a lot of drops, the INT was dumb. O line, coaching, WR's, RB's, get an F IMO. O line was mediocre on the pass and horrible on run blocking. Our RB's had 53 yards, enough said there about them. The WR's had a lot of drops and struggled getting open. Play calling was poor and the flat, week 3 style play probably has to do with the bye and the chiefs being bad, either way there is no excuse for constantly playing down, Tomlin needs to fix that.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Runningbacks and receivers each get a D. Coaches also get a D. Let's see, Moore has 17 carries so far this year with 2 fumbles now. Mendy has 153 with 1 fumble. Redman has 67 with 0 fumbles. Whay would the coaches give a red-zone run to our third runningback?! Dropping the ball when it hits you in the hands is never good and takes away the momentum. Sadly, our only TD came from a catch by our rookie TE with only his 3rd catch ever. Did we pay Palko?
bornaSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote