Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Perhaps a changing of the guard beginning on defense?

We all know the Steeler way: draft, develop, and plug in when a veteran's time has come to pass the torch. We have had the same defense basically since 2008, and many of the guys are mainstays from way before that (Casey, Troy, Keisel, Farrior, Ike, etc.) Are we going to have the same excellent development of our current group of young and up-and-coming players who will be be up to the Steelers defensive standard for years to come?

I'm saying this after seeing big plays from our two young safeties last night, Mundy and Lewis, and on the heels of step-up performances during the New England game from Stevenson Sylvester and Chris Carter when Farrior and Woodley went down. Do we think that Mundy is the heir apparent to Clark, Lewis to Ike, Sylvester to Farrior, so on and so forth.

We need to draft a nose tackle to replace Casey, but how many of you think that we will see the names Heyward, Hood, Sylvester, Carter, Mundy, Allen, Lewis being the next guys who keep "the standard at the standard?"
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: Perhaps a changing of the guard beginning on defense?

I would expect the team to dtaft MLB and Safety in the upper rounds in the next draft. Offensive line is a need too, but I wouldn't expect them to draft at that position any earlier than the 3rd round.

I don't know if Carter or Sylvester will be next in line. I don't think the coaches have seen enough to feel comfortable with them and will likely draft high at that position.

I like what I've seen from McClendon at NT. I'd like to see him step up and be the next in line. It's difficult to make an impression as a 3-4 NT, but if McClendon can tie up a couple blockers that would make him an effective NT.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Lets not get overly excited on the 2 int's, in fact all 3 of them. None were tremndous plays, except fromt he fact we actually caught them. Palko and his WR's had no clue.

McClendon has done well and he could save us another 4-5mill next year as Hampton seems to be heading out the door.

Lots of money going to be cut next year.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
I don't know if Carter or Sylvester will be next in line. I don't think the coaches have seen enough to feel comfortable with them and will likely draft high at that position.
Considering Lebeau has said it takes about 3 years to develop a starting Steelers linebacker, Id say Carter, Sylvester and even Worilds are on track and can become starters if they keep taking steps forward (Carter has a ways to go right now). Im trying to think of a linebacker in the past 10 years that just stepped into the starting role sooner than 2 years in this defense (Woodley in 2). Heres a dated article that talks about the young linebacker talent on the team.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...still_clo.html
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,178 Times in 491 Posts

I was talking about this to a friend the other night. The youth movement has arrived for us and we'll continue the trend in next years draft.

IMHO, we'll go cornerback #1, left guard #2 and safety #3, maybe a tweener to breed both at FS & SS, kind of like what we've been doing with Mundy all these years. After the Polamalu era (hard to say that) it'll be a young safety and Mundy holding down the fort in our defensive backfield. Also, we will find a replacement at Nose Guard for an eventual takeover for Casey Hampton to complete our depth on the D-line (Ziggy, Heyward, draft pick.)
Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I was talking about this to a friend the other night. The youth movement has arrived for us and we'll continue the trend in next years draft.

IMHO, we'll go cornerback #1, left guard #2 and safety #3, maybe a tweener to breed both at FS & SS, kind of like what we've been doing with Mundy all these years. After the Polamalu era (hard to say that) it'll be a young safety and Mundy holding down the fort in our defensive backfield. Also, we will find a replacement at Nose Guard for an eventual takeover for Casey Hampton to complete our depth on the D-line (Ziggy, Heyward, draft pick.)
If we don't go O-Line in the first round i'm gonna shoot someone.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
If we don't go O-Line in the first round i'm gonna shoot someone.
Other than the obvious misunderstanding about the worth of the OLINE in the last post, this thread was entertaining and quite informative and useful
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I think we have our NT already in McClendon, actually we are pretty set on the d line. Worilds had a good game last night. I haven't seen much from Sylvester or Carter since they haven't been on the field much, but they played well against the pats. Gay is steppi.g up, Ike is playing well, Lewis is doing great every time he is in, and we just drafted 2 CB's so I don't see us drafting high for a CB. I like Mundy but it may be time to go for a safety. IMO we are set at everything on offense except at LG, RG. Maybe draft mlb, guard, safety.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,006 Times in 2,567 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
I think we have our NT already in McClendon, actually we are pretty set on the d line. Worilds had a good game last night. I haven't seen much from Sylvester or Carter since they haven't been on the field much, but they played well against the pats. Gay is steppi.g up, Ike is playing well, Lewis is doing great every time he is in, and we just drafted 2 CB's so I don't see us drafting high for a CB. I like Mundy but it may be time to go for a safety. IMO we are set at everything on offense except at LG, RG. Maybe draft mlb, guard, safety.
my thoughts exactly, i think our biggest need right now is MLB, safety, and oline
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Damn, I forgot about McClendon and especially Worilds. I like Jason a lot, I think he's going to be a good player for us. As for the draft, definitely a safety. Definitely an MLB. But first and for most, we need an offensive guard. Legursky, Foster and obviously Kemo aren't doing it for me, not even close.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote