Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-19-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Larry Foote and son.

On the front page of NFL.com there is a link to a video with Larry and his son on Fathers day.

Im not sure if you need to be a subscriber or not - I can't get it to open.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:56 AM   #2
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Re: Larry Foote and son.

The NFL Network played the story of Larry Foote and his son this past Fathers Day Weekend.
Supposedly Larry had a son when he was 15 years old and didn't realize he was a father until a few years later.
A very good father-son story.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:06 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
The NFL Network played the story of Larry Foote and his son this past Fathers Day Weekend.
Supposedly Larry had a son when he was 15 years old and didn't realize he was a father until a few years later.
While it's an old article, it's a good read for those interested...........

Steelers linebacker Larry Foote settles into his new roles as a starter and as a father
Thursday, October 07, 2004
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The abrupt responsibility thrust on linebacker Larry Foote this summer would test the maturity of any 24-year-old. He stood up, took control and filled a vital role in a time of need.

Replacing injured Kendrell Bell in the Steelers lineup was nothing compared to the adjustment the bachelor linebacker made at home. A little more than a month ago, Foote became a new father -- of an 8-year-old boy. Trey-veion Foote came to live with him a month ago.

Foote did not know he even had a son until a woman in Detroit he dated when he was a teenager called him out of the blue in August to inform him. A paternity test done in Detroit when the Steelers played there Aug. 14 proved Foote was the father. With the woman's encouragement, he willingly took full custody of the son he never knew.

"It's a big transition," said Foote, who is engaged to a television news reporter in Flynt, Mich. "It's a little rough because he's old, he's 8 years old. We're bumping heads a little bit, but I'm blessed. I wish it didn't happen this way, but I'm glad he's with me."

Bumping heads with an 8-year-old can be as difficult as bumping heads with the Browns running back William Green, something the Steelers will count on Foote doing again Sunday at Heinz Field when he makes his fifth consecutive start at inside linebacker.

"Just sitting him down, making him do his homework every night," Foote said of his son, "it's just a battle. He didn't have a male influence in his life -- that discipline. He's adjusting, though."

So, too, is Foote, on and off the field. There are fewer nights out with the boys, for one thing. When he leaves work with the Steelers, he picks up Trey-veion from the baby sitter, where his son goes after school in Squirrel Hill. Then there's dinner, homework and some father-son get-to-know-you sessions.

"It just changed my whole life around," said Foote, who is a little angry he did not know about his son sooner in life. "I have to stay home at night. He comes first and I come second. I have a lot of responsibilities. I'm getting a lot of rest. I'm at home every night, so that's helping, physically."

He's not getting so much rest these days on the football field.

Bell has been one of the Steelers' most spectacular players since he became the NFL's defensive rookie of the year in 2001. He was thought to be one of their most irreplaceable. But first a shoulder injury and now a sports hernia have kept him from playing since the first exhibition game Aug. 14. Bell had surgery yesterday and will miss at least two more games.

The blow was not devastating to the Steelers because Foote would not let it be. His 23 solo tackles are tied for the team lead; he also has a sack.

"Man, we ain't missing a beat right now," Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "He's capable of doing the job. Kendrell probably makes a lot more big plays than he does, that's just the kind of player he is. But Larry won't make any mistakes. He knows what he's doing all the time and knows what other people are doing."

He's having some fun with it, too. He developed a dance, of sorts, to celebrate his big plays. He calls it "the stomp" in which he jumps in the air and then twists his foot on the ground as if he's stomping out a cigarette butt.

"I have to give Joey Porter the copyright to it," Foote conceded. "We were roommates in camp and we worked on it."

Foote, a Detroit native drafted in the fourth round from Michigan in 2002, also replaced an injured Bell as a rookie. He started three games. Last season, he played almost exclusively on special teams, where he had a dozen tackles. He played 15 defensive snaps in the opener against Baltimore and that was it.

"This is my third year," Foote noted. "A lot of people say your third year is going to tell what type of career you're going to have."

Foote's timing is perfect. Not only can't Bell get onto the field, but he also can't get a new contract. Negotiations to extend Bell's deal ended in August, and Bell will become an unrestricted free agent in March. Foote, who will be a restricted free agent, could step right in as the starter next season.

But who's to say Foote won't remain in his current job this season -- if and when Bell returns healthy enough to play? Foote wants to make it a tough decision for the coach.

"I want to put pressure on everybody," said Foote, who is 6 feet, 239 pounds. "I know one day I'll be a starter somewhere. Hopefully, it's here. That's the coach's decision, the [general manager's]."

Until then, he will continue to do his duty, on and off the field. Like his son, Trey-veion, Larry Foote might have found a new home.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
On the front page of NFL.com there is a link to a video with Larry and his son on Fathers day.

Im not sure if you need to be a subscriber or not - I can't get it to open.

NM
You don't need subscription. I opened it with no problem. Maybe something is wrong with your PC that needs an update?

I watched it. It was pretty cool to see them together. I still have one of the USA Today issue with him & his son together on the front page before the SB-XL.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

When the agent for Santonio Holmes starts talking signing bonus I hope they sit slick agent back down into his oversized leather chair and point to this man and 'show him where the money is going.'
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Glad to see Foote has his priorities straight. That must have totally freaked him out when he found out that he had an 8 year old son.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
blackngoldbaby
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1631

yeah i saw the story on the NFL network the other day i had no idea about it and i thought it was a great story.
blackngoldbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
Blitzburgh55
Starter

Member Number: 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
He must of been a PIMP

Cant Touch This
A New Year. A New Ring. A New Hand.
Blitzburgh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:05 AM   #9
sheba

Member Number:

i got it to open
Old 06-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
JAG151
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2179

I got Foote's autograph right after the Super Bowl this year, I know you really can't make a judgement on somebody from getting his autograpgh, but he seemed like a good guy and being very polite to everyone and very happy to be there. He let everyone take his picture, I was one of many that asked, and made sure he said something nice to everyone that he met. Seems like a stand up guy. Hopefully he'll make a stand up father too, I think he will.
JAG151 is offline   Reply With Quote