Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Preparation of Steelers' Ward hasn't changed

Preparation of Steelers' Ward hasn't changed

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 1, 2011

The player most affected by the tectonic shift that took place the last time the Steelers played the Bengals is still saying all of the right things.

The one thing Hines Ward couldn't say Wednesday afternoon is what his role will be Sunday when the Bengals visit Heinz Field.

That question has become complicated for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the depth that the Steelers have at wide receiver and the exalted status that Ward has long enjoyed.

The reality is that Ward has had to accept a reduced role since wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery told him three weeks ago that the Steelers wanted to get others more involved in the passing game.

Ward played just nine snaps in Cincinnati, and he caught one pass for 10 yards. Ward started last Sunday night in Kansas City, but he logged just 16 snaps and caught four passes for 21 yards.

"I didn't ask why or if I was playing bad or the reason behind it. I've never once questioned a coach(ing) decision, how they run game plans," Ward said following practice yesterday. "That's all that was told me that we want to get other guys the ball. They don't owe me anything. I just try to go out and bust my tail and continue being the same player. I think you guys wanted it to be about me, but it's not about me. I'm a team guy."

That is not to say that Ward is just any player.

He owns almost every Steelers receiving record of note. Ward is also a former Super Bowl MVP and one of the most popular players in team history.

Adding to the intrigue of Ward's situation is his pursuit of twin milestones: 1,000 career receptions and 12,000 receiving yards.

He is a lock to reach the latter, barring injury, but Ward is cutting it close when it comes to the former.

The 14th-year veteran needs 15 catches in the final five games to become just the eighth player in NFL history with at least 1,000 career receptions.

"I know that's a big goal, and I won't stop until I reach that goal," said Ward, who is 35 and in the next-to-last year of his contract.

What has slowed down Ward's pursuit of that goal is the way in which the Steelers are using their wide receivers.

They are legitimately five deep at the position, and Ward said he can't remember the Steelers using as many different groupings at wide receiver as they have this season.

Keeping all of the wideouts involved in the passing game is a challenge for everybody involved with the offense, including Ben Roethlisberger.

"I think it's a great problem to have," the Steelers quarterback said. "I'll spread it around as much as I can, but I tell those guys that it's about winning. It's not about making receivers happy by catching balls."

Ward said he is fine with that.

"It's not about me," Ward said. "I know with the record coming up, and I've been in the starting role for so many years, and all of the sudden, it just hits. It's a story. I'm not trying to make it a story. Roles have changed, and I've accepted it and moved on."

One thing that Ward hasn't accepted is the notion that age has finally corralled him.

"As far as me losing a step, I never had a step," Ward said with a laugh. "I have all the confidence in the world I can make plays. People outside of this locker room, they probably lost confidence in me. I can't control that."

Nearing a milestone

Hines Ward needs 9 receiving yards Sunday to become the 19th player in NFL history with at least 12,000 receiving yards. Here is where Ward ranks among receivers, in yardage, that spent their entire career with one team:

Player/team Total receiving yards

Marvin Harrison, Colts 14,580

Steve Largent, Seahawks 13,089

Hines Ward, Steelers 11,991

Michael Irvin, Cowboys 11,904

Rod Smith, Broncos 11,389

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Preparation of Steelers' Ward hasn't changed - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...#ixzz1fHfaWxtv
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Re: Preparation of Steelers' Ward hasn't changed

"I know that's a big goal, and I won't stop until I reach that goal," said Ward, who is 35 and in the next-to-last year of his contract.

I want Ward to get that 1000th catch as a Steeler. I understand that team comes first but in garbage time, if we can get the ball to him, we should.

The last thing i want to see is Hines Ward in a Browns uniform getting the 1000th catch