Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers First & 10: Ryan Mundy

Steelers First & 10: Ryan Mundy
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/lo...tml?mode=print

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 11:45 pm

The Steelers’ backup safety and special teams whiz, a third-year pro out of Woodland Hills High School, took some time before practice this week to answer these decidedly non-football questions from The Times’ Mike Bires:

After your high school career at Woodland Hills, why did you choose Michigan?

“I had about 30 offers, but I really didn’t even have a top five. It was pretty much Michigan and Pitt. I did also take visits to Virginia and North Carolina State, but I knew it would come down to Michigan or Pitt. I eventually decided I wanted to get out of Pittsburgh and experience a different part of the country.”

At the NFL Combine every year, potential draft picks must take the Wonderlic test (which assesses the aptitude of prospective employees). You had an outstanding Wonderlic score of 29, which is 10 points higher than the average for safeties. What’s the story behind your score?

“I didn’t answer all the questions. There are 50 questions that you’re supposed to answer in 12 minutes. I don’t know anybody (at the combine) who answers them all. But I did answer 29 questions, and got 29 right.”

Is that why your teammates call you “Wonderlic”?

“Actually, it’s only Coach (Mike) Tomlin who calls me ‘Wonderlic.’ “

What does it mean for a guy who grew up in Pittsburgh to be playing with the hometown Steelers?

“It means a lot to me, but more so for my family, who’ve been for me every step of the way since I first started playing football in 1992.”

As a guy who’s lived in the Pittsburgh area for all your life, what’s your favorite restaurant in town?

“I’m supposed to say my restaurant. I’m part owner of Savoy Restaurant and Lounge in the Strip District. We have great food there. But a place I also like is Nine on Nine on the corner of Penn Avenue and Ninth Avenue downtown.”

If there’s anyone you could sit down and have dinner with, who would it be?

“Warren Buffett, because it always seems like he’s one step ahead. That’s one of the keys to being successful in business and life ... having the foresight and being able to see things before they happen.”

Did you vote for Barack Obama in the last presidential election? How do you think he’s doing?

“Yes, I did vote for him. And I think he is doing a good job. He inherited a tough job. He’s doing the best he can, and hopefully he’ll get another four years.”

Once you’re done playing football, what kind of work do you see yourself getting into?

“I want to get into business. I have a few ideas as far as helping athletes who didn’t make it professionally. So many athletes I went to college with, they have degrees but they can’t get jobs ... they aren’t prepared for life after football. That’s one of my passions ... helping athletes transition into life after football. And beyond that, I’d like to get into other types of business, maybe as a financial advisor or something with the mortgage industry.”

What’s the best vacation you’ve ever taken?

“I really haven’t been on too many vacations. Mostly everywhere I’ve been to, it’s been sports related. But I did end up going to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico last March. That was really my first vacation where I was just relaxing. I went there with my fiancée. It was great.”

Is there a vacation destination you want to visit some day?

“Probably Egypt ... just to study the history of Egypt and to see the pyramids and the ancient Egyptian tombs. I’d also like to visit Israel some day.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: Steelers First & 10: Ryan Mundy

Smart dude! Maybe he can add Offensive Coordinator to his dream sheet....
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,312 Times in 1,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Smart dude! Maybe he can add Offensive Coordinator to his dream sheet....
smart ? did you read this ?

Quote:
“Yes, I did vote for him. And I think he is doing a good job. He inherited a tough job. He’s doing the best he can, and hopefully he’ll get another four years.”

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

lol.. funny how ones political stance can change the overall opinion of someone.. smdh

I think this kid will be really good once it's time for him to start. It's nice to see that he has a good head on his shoulders. I never really paid attention when in the games but other that safety, does he play nickle? I see him on special teams and making good plays on the defense when inserted but wasn't sure which sub packages he's used for. Wasn't sure if he only subbed for troy and ryan.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
lol...yeah, I did read that. But, come on, you know that Steelers football is infintely more important than the pathetic state of our economy and the crooks in Washington.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

the funny thing about politics and religion is they can get in the way of logic and reasoning

one thing wonderlic doesn't do is test for creativity, of which he always could have skirted the political question with something like, "what are you talking about? Art Rooney II is my president"
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Lambertfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 914

That's why I like to keep politics out of sports. I care about football and I don't want to know about their politics or religion or sex for that matter..
He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983)
Lambertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,386 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Let's not give the executive branch more power than they actually have

Presidents get too much blame and too much credit for the state of the economy

When companies are given government bailouts, then turnaround and give their execs millions upon millions of dollars in bonuses I think you can understand where the problem is. Let's also not get into Dem v. Rep because there isn't much difference - they both share one common idea - put the screws to the little people

bye bye middle class

Oh yea, and go Steelers
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Shows he is indeed smart and maybe you not so much! What he said was completely accurate the President inherited a mess.

You should keep righty in denial of reality politics out of football

Last edited by rich4eagle; 12-05-2011 at 05:11 PM.
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,479 Times in 3,551 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
lol...yeah, I did read that. But, come on, you know that Steelers football is infintely more important than the pathetic state of our economy and the crooks in Washington.
true that!
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote