Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Post-Cincinnati thoughts part II

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Sunday, December 04, 2011
Post-Cincinnati thoughts part II

It's funny how a game is looked at as total domination and the Steelers had just 295 yards of offense, their third-lowest total of the season.

Then again, many of the starters were pulled midway through the fourth quarter.

The most impressive thing about this victory for the Steelers was that their running game was highly effective. Pittsburgh picked up 136 yards on the ground of 33 carries against a good Cincinnati front seven.

That set up a lot of the other things the Steelers did offensively.

And Pittsburgh's domination up front was never more apparent than on its final scoring drive in the third quarter when Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman combined for five carries for 48 yards during a 93-yard drive.

If the Steelers can keep that up, they are going to be tough to beat in January.

© The Steelers have been looking for ways to get talented rookie corner Cortez Allen into their dime package and may have found it.

They brought safety Ryan Clark off the field at times in the dime in favor or Allen, giving them four corners and Troy Polamalu on the field at the same time.

That's a lot of coverage.

© It was nice to see Hines Ward get his 12,000 yards in front of the home crowd, which gave him a nice ovation for the feat.

It also didn't seem like the Steelers forced the issue, just allowing it to happen.

© The Steelers have now won seven of their past eight games and beaten Cincinnati (twice) and New England during that stretch.

That doesn't look to bad on the résumé.

The win over Kansas City wasn't all that inspiring, but there was plenty to be optimistic about following the dismantling of the Bengals.

© LaMarr Woodley told me after the game that he could wind up being a part-time player for a period of time until he gets his wind back.

That's the trouble with hamstring injuries. Unlike James Harrison, who was out with an eye injury and therefore able to keep his cardio up, Woodley's exercises have been limited to stretching and such to build his hamstring strength.

He said his hamstring felt "tired" Sunday, so the Steelers shut him down.

Having Jason Worilds prove that he can be competitive out there helps the situation.

© Steelers special teams coach Al Everest was taken aback when asked if he thought Curtis Brown had a block on in the back on Antonio Brown's 60-yard punt return touchdown at the end of the first half.

"You could call three of those on any play," said Everest. "We've had them go against us."

But not on this occasion.

In the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't have mattered. It's likely that with two timeouts, the Steelers would have gotten the ball at their own 30 and at least gotten into field goal range. But even if they didn't, this game was never in question.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Post-Cincinnati thoughts part II

Although I'm cautiously optimistic. Don't get too high off a big win or too low after a loss. It is clear these Steelers will be a force come playoff time.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

So did Woodley "Tweek" the hamstring or was he just tired?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

I thought Taylor had a horrendous game. Of course he got the late INT. But he didn't cover Green well at all. Falling down, failiing to mark him and so on.
We may lead the NFL in def passing but there is some odd reason for this, lol. I still do not think we have that great of pass def.

We need the packers in the superbowl to prove that stat out, lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,138 Times in 509 Posts

I have nothing to complain about.

It was the most complete game I've seen in a while and one of the most balanced games as well.
Yes, there were a few mistakes here and there but overall, I was impressed and I'm very happy with what I saw.

It's also the first game I've watched where I felt comfortable walking away from it with minutes left to play to watch another game (sorry Charlie).

If this is a sign of things to come, I think that #7 is within reach.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,817 Times in 1,834 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Statistically the Browns have the best pass defense, and that is only because teams can run at will against them and not have to pass that much. Can you say soft w/ no will to make a real tackle?

Ray Rice embarrassed them and you might just see even more running this Thursday from Mendy and Redman. Hopefully another route is in order and we see a healthy amount of garbage time. As Tomlin said - need to stay focused above the shoulders - no time to let up just because its the Browns.

The Giants had the Packers on the ropes, but still could not prevent them from going 12-0. The only promising thing is the Packers are progressively giving up more and more yards and points. However, they are the most opportunistic and can force turnovers when the chips are down. I agree that at this point, New Orleans is the only team that looks capable of derailing their SB return chances.

Lastly - the Green Bay offense is the most mentally focused group I've ever witnessed. Possessed might be more like it. With laser like precision, and with 58 seconds on the clock - you had to know they would have no problem winning the game. They pass and score at will and have the combination of plays and improv that are almost virtually impossible to defend. Those back shoulder throws and low corner throws are just amazing. Honestly, you have to hope Rodgers and that offense has a terrible day. Hopefully they are due in the playoffs or the pressure of going undefeated or repeating is too much to bare mentally.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Lastly - the Green Bay offense is the most mentally focused group I've ever witnessed. Possessed might be more like it. With laser like precision, and with 58 seconds on the clock - you had to know they would have no problem winning the game. They pass and score at will and have the combination of plays and improv that are almost virtually impossible to defend. Those back shoulder throws and low corner throws are just amazing. Honestly, you have to hope Rodgers and that offense has a terrible day. Hopefully they are due in the playoffs or the pressure of going undefeated or repeating is too much to bare mentally.
You know what really pisses me off about them........is that every week they go out there looking to exploit Goodells Fantasy Football Lovers League Rules......

Those motherfathers know the Defense is handcuffed, and they laugh their asses off every week at em as they throw fade after fade knowing they'll get a PI most of the time

The Ravens have caught on to this too this year.....Lob pass after lob pass for Flacco and win the Whining War with the Refs

And Lord am I tired of hearing about Rodgers being the best ever.....the League isn't the same anymore, not a fair comparison.....Rodgers is still a ball boy next to Marino and the other legends IMO

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,817 Times in 1,834 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I might get tomatoes thrown my way - but the Packers are the main reason why I love Skip Bayless - he tends to see through the change of the NFL and even today wants to see Rodgers win a huge game at the end while behind - because he feels like he hasn't felt that kind of pressure yet

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I dont know about him being the GOAT, but he is pretty dam accurate right now. Thankfully their Def sucks this year or i would be worried about meeting them in the SB. As it stands now i feel we are better equipped to beat them than last year. More potent offense and better pass def. Regardless, i think they will get beat in the playoffs by NO.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote