Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Grading the 2001 Draft 5 Years Later

Only two teams received A's: the Bengals and the Panthers.

Here are the summaries for the AFC North teams:

A
1. Cincinnati. Now this is really saying something. The impression league-wide is that Marvin Lewis rode in on his white horse four years ago and saved this team from eternal damnation. Judging by the way Jim Lippincott and Mike Brown and then-coach Dick LeBeau ran this draft, I'd say that's only about 70 percent right. The Bengals are the only team, by my calculation, that got four of its current top 10 players from this draft. Starting defensive end Justin Smith was the first pick, fourth overall, and he's been a steady starter since he held out as a rookie. Smith has contributed a good but not Freeney-like 34 sacks in five years. I can still hear the screaming for how they reached for Chad Johnson at number 36 overall; he's averaged 94 catches a year, loudly, the last three years. And they got two direct hits on Day 2: Running back Rudi Johnson (Round 4), who has rushed for 3,869 yards the last three years, and in Round 7 one of the best No. 2 receivers in football, T.J. Houshmandzadeh. How many second receivers have averaged 75.5 catches over the last two years? A great, great job by the Bengals.

B
4. Baltimore. Picking last because of its Super Bowl win only adds to the shine of this draft. It's a shame the cap-ravaged Ravens couldn't have kept these guys when they got good. The top four picks -- Todd Heap, Gary Baxter, Casey Rabach and Ed Hartwell -- are all average or better NFL starters. And when you get four of those out of one draft, you've drafted very well.

C-
21. Pittsburgh. First-round pick Casey Hampton has been an above-average anchor to the defensive line, and Kendrell Bell was a good linebacker until he kept getting hurt. Fifth-round center Chukky Okobi has been a serviceable backup, while sixth-round defensive end Rodney Bailey, now beginning his second tour with the Steelers after three years away at New England and Seattle, has a little promise.

F
30. Cleveland. One decent pick: fourth-round corner Anthony Henry, now playing for Dallas. Among the horrible picks here -- Gerard Warren over Richard Seymour, Quincy Morgan over Chris Chambers -- is one grand champion. Club officials, bolstered by former Secret Service czar Lew Merletti, stressed character till the cows came home with the New and Improved Browns, and then they went and picked a linebacker from Washington, Jeremiah Pharms, missing the fact that he'd been involved in a drug-related shooting in Seattle in 2000. Pharms served 41 months for the crime. Want to know why Cleveland is still struggling to poke its head above water in the AFC North? Look at its first three drafts. Nightmares.

Read the rest of the article here
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #2
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988
Default Re: Grading the 2001 Draft 5 Years Later

Casey Hampton = above-average? Is this guy smoking the same crap as Ricky Williams? He has been to two pro bowls.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
3 to be 4
Team Owner

Member Number: 992

i know i know im a little provincial "ok, i'll stop talking about the Patriots. What do you think of the Patriots?"

but im sorry, any draft that brings Richard Seymour and Matt Light is not a horrible draft.
and the Steelers wasnt so bad either in 2001.

if you can 2 players in a draft that help you win a Super Bowl thats pretty darn good.
3 to be 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,777 Times in 2,938 Posts

cantstop85 is still stuck on the article that makes him think t.j. douchmanzadeh is one of the best wr's in the game.

let it go!

steelers still own the bengals and have gone 15-1 and won the sb in the last 2 years.

please tell me 85, when was the last time the bengals went to the afc champ game and what were you doing when it happened?
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
cantstop85 is still stuck on the article that makes him think t.j. douchmanzadeh is one of the best wr's in the game.

let it go!

steelers still own the bengals and have gone 15-1 and won the sb in the last 2 years.

please tell me 85, when was the last time the bengals went to the afc champ game and what were you doing when it happened?
I'm sorry if you don't like the articles I post, tony, but you don't have to read them. When you have something intelligent to contribute please get back at me. Until then I would suggest sticking to name-calling in the blast furnace.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,777 Times in 2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
I'm sorry if you don't like the articles I post, tony, but you don't have to read them. When you have something intelligent to contribute please get back at me. Until then I would suggest sticking to name-calling in the blast furnace.
the articles are fine, i do read them, and its not like your posting them up in the steelers forum, throwing them in peoples faces.

just adding simple anti-bengal commentary. at ease.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

That's fine...no team will have grade A drafts year in and year out.

But I'd be willing to wager that the Steelers will take their Super Bowl victory over an "A" grade from Peter King anyday!
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #8
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 to be 4
i know i know im a little provincial "ok, i'll stop talking about the Patriots. What do you think of the Patriots?"

but im sorry, any draft that brings Richard Seymour and Matt Light is not a horrible draft.
and the Steelers wasnt so bad either in 2001.

if you can 2 players in a draft that help you win a Super Bowl thats pretty darn good.
The Steelers draft I'd probably leave at a C. They got Casey Hampton in the first round who has turned into a pro bowl player and they also got Chukky Okobi who still has the potential to turn into a pretty good player. However, the other players drafted made virtually no impact and most are out of the league...even Kendrell Bell was forced to leave the team due to injury struggles. If you were grading their first round pick alone it would be an A, but factoring in the other picks it averages out to about a C.

Personally I would have given the Patriots a C+ or B- just because of Richard Seymour and Matt Light. Both of them turned into premier players at their position and helped the Patriots on their super bowl run. However, their round 3-7 picks all essentially turned out to be busts. Had the Patriots been able to retain another player or two from that draft, they could have easily moved up to a B+ or A. It's alright, though, I still consider the Tom Brady draft to be an A+.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
the articles are fine, i do read them, and its not like your posting them up in the steelers forum, throwing them in peoples faces.

just adding simple anti-bengal commentary. at ease.
Sorry, I'm always a little grumpy in the morning.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #10
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

CantStop85 only posts articles that make the Bengals appear to be better than the Steelers... your probabaly wearing your "AFC North Champions" shirt right now. Homer...

Whatever helps you cope, and make it through the off season.