Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Listen to what this guy said to me at the bar yesterday while watching the game

Me and my girlfriend have a tradition here in Albany, N.Y. where we go to school - every Sunday, we pick a new place to watch the game at. Yesterday's choice was a sort of seedy dive bar that we've always been apprehensive about going to. Food was good, so it ended up being a decent choice. But I digress.

There was a guy in there, probably in his 30s, wearing a Farrior jersey and a six-time Super Bowl champions beanie. Sounds like a pretty big fan, right, making the effort to watch the game decked out in all black and gold? In the second quarter, the guy turns to me and says "Where's Willie?" I said to him "Willie who?", thinking maybe he meant Colon. Nope. This guy was wondering where Willie Parker was. I ask you: how is this even possible that your at a bar watching the Steelers in a Steelers jersey and you don't know that the guy you think is the starting halfback hasn't been around in two years. Suffice to say it was awkward when I had to explain to him that Willie is no longer with us.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,970 Times in 2,352 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Listen to what this guy said to me at the bar yesterday while watching the game

can I ask how old this fellow was?

Getting old is a real beeyotch. Maybe he's the local crazy?
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: Listen to what this guy said to me at the bar yesterday while watching the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
can I ask how old this fellow was?

Getting old is a real beeyotch. Maybe he's the local crazy?
And he got his outfit from the Goodwill.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

If he was older I maybe would have felt bad for him, but he couldn't have been older than 35 or so. As for the outfit, I don't believe that Goodwill stocks Farrior jerseys. If they did I would've picked one up by now haha
Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
I ask you: how is this even possible that your at a bar watching the Steelers in a Steelers jersey and you don't know that the guy you think is the starting halfback hasn't been around in two years.
Drugs and/or head injuries can have an amazing impact on one's critical thinking skills and the ability to recall important historical fact (like the status of players on your favorite team). Hell, Arians doesn't believe in having a FB on the squad, but he takes a TE and hopes he learns to block in the backfield ... and he has stated he hates rookies.

Quote:
Suffice to say it was awkward when I had to explain to him that Willie is no longer with us.
You probably should have told him the entire truth ... his NFL days are over.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Yea - ignorance is bliss with those crazy people - you might have just crushed his dreams lol

"Willie? WILLIE? WHY WILLIE? WHHHHHHHHHY!?!?!?!?"
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Hahaha well it doesn't seem like he's very up to date on his Steeler football so I would imagine that he probably wouldn't know what Willie's performance was like and wonder why we got rid of him. I liked him as a person, he could break off a home run 80-yarder every now and then, but overall he was just not a very good NFL running back.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

the only thing I enjoyed about Parker was that he knew he was at his best burning it around the ends - that was fun to watch. Thankfully for Mendy, he is a little more built than Parker was.

Tomlin's stubbornness while trying to put his mark on this team, combined with Parker's whining and supposed coke use was his downfall
Old 12-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,094 Times in 899 Posts

Quote:
Me and my girlfriend have a tradition here in Albany, N.Y. where we go to school - every Sunday, we pick a new place to watch the game at. Yesterday's choice was a sort of seedy dive bar that we've always been apprehensive about going to. Food was good, so it ended up being a decent choice. But I digress.

There was a guy in there, probably in his 30s, wearing a Farrior jersey and a six-time Super Bowl champions beanie. Sounds like a pretty big fan, right, making the effort to watch the game decked out in all black and gold? In the second quarter, the guy turns to me and says "Where's Willie?" I said to him "Willie who?", thinking maybe he meant Colon. Nope. This guy was wondering where Willie Parker was. I ask you: how is this even possible that your at a bar watching the Steelers in a Steelers jersey and you don't know that the guy you think is the starting halfback hasn't been around in two years. Suffice to say it was awkward when I had to explain to him that Willie is no longer with us.
The next time you run into someone like that, you sit down with them, put a hand on their shoulder, give them a very serious look and quietly ask: "Did you ever think of how your life might have turned out if you'd actually HAD enough oxygen at birth?"

They usually go away after that.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Quote:
Hahaha well it doesn't seem like he's very up to date on his Steeler football so I would imagine that he probably wouldn't know what Willie's performance was like and wonder why we got rid of him. I liked him as a person, he could break off a home run 80-yarder every now and then, but overall he was just not a very good NFL running back.
I thought Willie was a good NFL running back ... Tomlin just ran the wheels off the guy. After breaking his leg, he just wasn't the same RB. But don't let his last year in the 'Burgh taint the good years he had for the team.