Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default The appreciation we should all have for #86 Hines Ward

I will start semi-melodramatically: I got, not choked up, but a little emotional yesterday watching Hines Ward.

At 21 years old, I have been following the Black and Gold religiously since 2001. As we all know, Hines has been a Steeler since 1998, so I personally have never truly known our team without #86 throwing vicious crackbacks, going over the middle fearlessly, smelling the goal line and picking up huge third-down conversions all with that signature smile on his face. In a Hall of Fame career, he has done an excellent job carving out a niche for an undersized, pretty slow (for a wideout) player in this league.

It saddens me to see Hines as he is this season. There is obviously no shame in his eroding skills; the hard truth is that even the best athlete of all time will eventually lose it. The smile is not omnipresent, as it was once. This is not a signal of Hines moping around, though; I believe it is only because he wants very badly to get back to his old standard, and he is focused on contributing in any way he can. He is not smiling after every catch because he is pissed at himself for not being able to do more.

It would be easy for Hines to be bitter at his loss of playing time this season. That is not his way. He has said and done all the right things. He has been an admirable mentor to our trio of young recievers. You can see him encouraging, cajoling, prodding, clapping, screaming for them on the sidelines. And he is doing whatever he can to help, picking up a pair of first downs over the last two games.

It says something about the regard the organization has for him that they are making a concentrated effort to get him his milestones, through screens and dumpoffs designed for him that we have seen in KC and again yesterday. It was great to see the fans with the Hines Ward 12,000 sign in the stands, and the people with the Psycho Ward banner penciling in 12,000 yards on top of it. It says something about Steeler Nation that we aren't forgetting what this player has done for us even if he can't really do it anymore. After 5 catches yesterday, it is likely that he will reach the 1,000 catch milestone as well, hopefully at home on December 24th.

The reason I got a little upset yesterday was seeing Hines' face so serious coming back to the sidelines, almost giving off the air of a first or second-year bit player trying to stay out of the way. He deserves much, much more than that, and he is lucky to be part of an organization that appreciates him, and a fanbase that has a very long memory of who has done what for us.

When I think of Hines Ward, I will think of him flat out breaking 250-pound linebacker Keith Rivers jaw. I will think of all of his big red zone moments in the postseason, against the Jets in 04, vs. the Broncos in 05, the touchdown at the end of the half against the Packers last year. Most of all, I will see him leaping a mile high into the end zone against the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL, eschewing a flashy, orchestrated celebration in favor of pure joy and excitement. And I will always see him taking a huge hit, hanging on to the ball for a first down and popping up with that endearing, genuine smile lighting up his face. I get chills writing that sentence, thinking about my favorite Steeler of all time.

We don't know how many more times we will see that. This does feel like it will most likely be Hines' last year. I doubt he will stick around if he feels he can no longer contribute, just to hang on for one season longer. On a day when his stoic face saddened me yesterday, however, his smile also put one onto mine, when they called that 15-yard penalty after one of his catches and his face split into yet another huge grin.

In 05, we sent the Bus off in storybook fashion. Now let's do it again this year for another Steeler legend who deserves to ride off into the sun with a third Lombardi at the end of a truly special career.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: The appreciation we should all have for #86 Hines Ward

Hines Ward is the true definition of Steelers football. Beat you senseless and smile at you while doing it!

Hines is one of my favorites of all times, and like you, yesterday there was some emotion watching him in the game.

I try to prepare myself for his retirement, but something inside of me just won't let it happen.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,134 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Let me just say in a semi melodramatic fashion, that your blurb was a great trip down memory lane and gave me some chills of what yet may come to be for Ward and this team as a whole.

Hines Ward has been the best Steelers receiver ever, the best blocking receiver in the history of the nfl, and the most complete receiver of all time (and by that I mean understanding routes, blocking assignments, execution, clutch catching ((and in huge games)) and leadership skills).

Add the fact that he has played 3/4 of his career on run-oriented teams, 2 rings, and 1 SB MVP, along with Steelers records, and to me, he is much more of a shoe in than Jerome Bettis ever would be.

Since 1998 Steelers receivers have come and gone but Hines Ward has been the constant, guiding light to the shiny new toy the Steelers are only able to maintain for a little while. Burress, Holmes are probably the most notable receivers to wear the black and gold, only to yap their way out of town and they should at least partially thank Hines Ward for their successes.

In closing, When #86 retires, a void will be left in the Steelers receiving corp and we would only be so lucky to have a receiver who plays with half the passion, determination, and playful youthfulness as Ward.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I will miss Hines when he is gone, and I still look forward to him contributing this season...even in a smaller role.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,205 Times in 605 Posts

10 more catches and a Super Bowl victory to send him off into the sunset. Boy, that would a nice way to go out. I hope it happens.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
caplovestroyp43
Banned

Member Number: 16490
My Mood: Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
I will start semi-melodramatically: I got, not choked up, but a little emotional yesterday watching Hines Ward.

At 21 years old, I have been following the Black and Gold religiously since 2001. As we all know, Hines has been a Steeler since 1998, so I personally have never truly known our team without #86 throwing vicious crackbacks, going over the middle fearlessly, smelling the goal line and picking up huge third-down conversions all with that signature smile on his face. In a Hall of Fame career, he has done an excellent job carving out a niche for an undersized, pretty slow (for a wideout) player in this league.

It saddens me to see Hines as he is this season. There is obviously no shame in his eroding skills; the hard truth is that even the best athlete of all time will eventually lose it. The smile is not omnipresent, as it was once. This is not a signal of Hines moping around, though; I believe it is only because he wants very badly to get back to his old standard, and he is focused on contributing in any way he can. He is not smiling after every catch because he is pissed at himself for not being able to do more.

It would be easy for Hines to be bitter at his loss of playing time this season. That is not his way. He has said and done all the right things. He has been an admirable mentor to our trio of young recievers. You can see him encouraging, cajoling, prodding, clapping, screaming for them on the sidelines. And he is doing whatever he can to help, picking up a pair of first downs over the last two games.

It says something about the regard the organization has for him that they are making a concentrated effort to get him his milestones, through screens and dumpoffs designed for him that we have seen in KC and again yesterday. It was great to see the fans with the Hines Ward 12,000 sign in the stands, and the people with the Psycho Ward banner penciling in 12,000 yards on top of it. It says something about Steeler Nation that we aren't forgetting what this player has done for us even if he can't really do it anymore. After 5 catches yesterday, it is likely that he will reach the 1,000 catch milestone as well, hopefully at home on December 24th.

The reason I got a little upset yesterday was seeing Hines' face so serious coming back to the sidelines, almost giving off the air of a first or second-year bit player trying to stay out of the way. He deserves much, much more than that, and he is lucky to be part of an organization that appreciates him, and a fanbase that has a very long memory of who has done what for us.

When I think of Hines Ward, I will think of him flat out breaking 250-pound linebacker Keith Rivers jaw. I will think of all of his big red zone moments in the postseason, against the Jets in 04, vs. the Broncos in 05, the touchdown at the end of the half against the Packers last year. Most of all, I will see him leaping a mile high into the end zone against the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL, eschewing a flashy, orchestrated celebration in favor of pure joy and excitement. And I will always see him taking a huge hit, hanging on to the ball for a first down and popping up with that endearing, genuine smile lighting up his face. I get chills writing that sentence, thinking about my favorite Steeler of all time.

We don't know how many more times we will see that. This does feel like it will most likely be Hines' last year. I doubt he will stick around if he feels he can no longer contribute, just to hang on for one season longer. On a day when his stoic face saddened me yesterday, however, his smile also put one onto mine, when they called that 15-yard penalty after one of his catches and his face split into yet another huge grin.

In 05, we sent the Bus off in storybook fashion. Now let's do it again this year for another Steeler legend who deserves to ride off into the sun with a third Lombardi at the end of a truly special career.
Truly beautiful. Hines is one of my all time favorite players, competing with my Troy for the top spot.

It will be ever so sad to see him retire but what he is doing now, mentoring the young recievers is so Hines. They are learning from a true master of the field. He's a great guy and great player.

And one that this lifetime Steeler fan will always love and appreciate for all he's done.

caplovestroyp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

I'll sure miss Ward too...HELL OF A PLAYER...
Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
SteelerNan
Water Boy

Member Number: 19342

I have been an avid fan of Hines for many years, and these past few months have been heart wretching, watching Hines stand on the sideline, his famous smile no where to be found, being put in the game so little you could blink and miss it. I have been very angry about how Hines has been treated, and so have many other fans. Yesterday was magic, watching him get that 12,000 yards he needed, my heart was pumping, I was almost in tears I was so happy he finally got it. He should have been able to reach those yards several games ago had he been put in the game like he should have been. Yes, he's older and doesn't quite have the moves he used to, but he still can cause much damage on the field, and perhaps so many plays wouldn't have been left in the redzone had he been in there. Young Money hopefuly appreciates what a master teacher they have, they are learning from the best there is. I admire Hines not only for his work on the field, but his work with less fortunate children, and his drive to do everything the best he can. He brought a smile back to our faces winning the Mirror Ball after the heartbreak loss in the Super Bowl. You touched on something I've been saying...the team needs to get to and win the Super Bowl for Hines, just like Hines wanted it so much for The Bus. He deserves it, he's earned it. My Facebook page (www.facebook.com/we.support.hines.ward) was crazy happy yesterday, everyone celebrating Hines reaching one record, but he still has one more to obtain this year...only 10 more receptions to reach 1,000. I've had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Hines and he is honestly as nice as he seems, always ready with his smile. I'll treasure my 86 jersey forever, just like the memories of Hines Ward doing what he does best...play football.
SteelerNan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
Busforever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1065

I suppose he would be welcome by the organization if he wanted to be the WR coach. It could be great
Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

He will no doubt be a WR coach in Pittsburgh at some point! And who knows, he might wind up an OC or more here one day!!!!
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote