Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,190 Times in 1,779 Posts
Default get ready for MORE commercials

if you think the commercial breaks are bad now, what do you think they'll be like after this deal ? every 5 minutes there'll be 5 minutes of commercials...

Quote:
NFL TV rights fees reportedly to increase 60 percent

As if the television power the NFL wielded already wasn't clear, the league is on the verge of renewing its TV deals with all of its broadcast partners. The deal is expected to result in rights fee increases of more than 60 percent across the board.

Sports Business Journal, citing multiple sources, reported each of the network broadcasts will pay an average of at least $1 billion per year for the rights to air NFL games. SBJ reported the combined financial windfall from the deals with CBS, FOX and NBC is expected to be valued at more than $24 billion over the next eight years.
The current deals end after the 2013 season, while the new agreement would run through the 2021 season and is expected to be finalized later this month, according to SBJ.
Once the new rights deals are finalized, SBJ reported the NFL could generate close to $7 billion annually in national media revenue starting in 2014. That figure -- obtained by combining the deals with CBS, FOX and NBC with ESPN's "Monday Night Football," DirecTV's "Sunday Ticket" and other ventures along with the league's intention to shop its Thursday night package -- represents a 64 percent increase over the $4.28 billion the league received annually from the national media

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911
Default Re: get ready for MORE commercials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
if you think the commercial breaks are bad now, what do you think they'll be like after this deal ? every 5 minutes there'll be 5 minutes of commercials...
when I was growing-up, the 1:00 PM game ended early-enough to have 10 or 15 minutes for the networks to show scores or highlights of other games played, before the 4:00 PM game began:
Ms. Goodell already has the 2nd games starting at 4:15

watch an NHL game ~ 3 TV-timeouts per 20 minute period, and NO commercials during overtime:
most games are done in 2:20, 2:35 at the most, unless a particular game has several brawls, or a severe injury occurs
Old 12-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,371 Times in 4,307 Posts

so much for the impending doom of steelers in "salary cap hell".
Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,055 Times in 3,368 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

commercials can sometimes be a good thing
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post

commercials can sometimes be a good thing
but most of the time they suck.

jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

I went to my first Steelers game at Heinz field this year and was very disappointed at all the delays due to commercials. It really messed up my experience. I haven't been to many NFL games in the last 10 years so I had no clue how bad it was..

I just wonder what effect it has on a teams momentum during a game?

I cosign with 4xSBChamps.. It's so bad now that when the 4:00 games come on, we miss a third of the 1st quarter..

My solution is to just DVR the games and start watching them about 30-45min in.. If you are into fantasy or a redzone person it really sucks but at least you can fast forward through the commercials
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,844 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCbeauBlak View Post
I went to my first Steelers game at Heinz field this year and was very disappointed at all the delays due to commercials. It really messed up my experience. I haven't been to many NFL games in the last 10 years so I had no clue how bad it was..

I just wonder what effect it has on a teams momentum during a game?

I cosign with 4xSBChamps.. It's so bad now that when the 4:00 games come on, we miss a third of the 1st quarter..

My solution is to just DVR the games and start watching them about 30-45min in.. If you are into fantasy or a redzone person it really sucks but at least you can fast forward through the commercials

According to the agreements made with the networks, NFL games are REQUIRED to have 5 "TV Timeouts" per quarter for a total of 20 per game and each commercial break runs one to two minutes. They are also called during stoppages due to injury, instant replay challenges, when either of the participating teams uses one of its set of timeouts, and if the network needs to catch up on its commercial advertisement schedule.

So just looking at the basics of the agreement, the time lost to commercial breaks can be anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes per game just to satisfy the minimum requirements. Add to that the 12 minute halftime as well as unpredictable situations such as injuries and it's not hard to see why a typical game lasts over 3 hours.

This is why I believe that the DVR was the greatest invention ever dreamed up. I too let the game "play" for at least a half-hour to as much as an hour (for post-season games) so that when I sit down to watch it, I can fly past all of the junk and just focus on the game.

(Super Bowls require at least a 1 to 1 1/2 hour lead time).
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote