Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Mike Tomlin press conference

Mike Tomlin press conference
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/lo...tml?mode=print
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 3:59 pm

Excerpts of the Mike Tomlin press conference which reviewed the 35-7 win over the Bengals and previews Thursday night's game against the Browns:

OPENING STATEMENT

"I will quickly recap yesterday's performance. We are pleased with the victory. It was a very necessary one at this time of year, AFC North football. Like I said yesterday, I was pleased with the effort and energy in all three phases. We had significant, splash plays, in all three phases. I thought our special teams unit set a tone, providing a splash for us early in the game.

"We had a blocked field goal by Cameron Heyward. We had a kickoff fumble recovery by Emmanuel Sanders, and then at the end of the half we had a punt return for a touchdown. It was big for us. I thought we did a nice job of seizing the opportunities in the red area on offense. We were very efficient in the red area. We liked the way our running backs ran down there. It made it easier, not to be confused with easy. Just overall, we had good execution in situational football, particularly when we were backed up in the red area.

"Defensively I thought our pressure was consistent. It didn't necessarily manifest itself in the form of sacks but James Harrison had a big day. I thought the pressure was consistent. It broke down the pocket and made Andy Dalton move. It didn't allow him to find targets to develop a consistent rapport with any of the other guys other than A.J. Green. Green is a special guy. We have to quickly put that one behind us and look at areas where we fell short, or areas we'd like to improve and prepare for with our next AFC North matchup, which is Thursday night versus Cleveland.

"From an injury standpoint, there's not much to add relative to last night. Ramon Foster came out of the game with a left ankle sprain. I guess we could characterize him as questionable at this point. We will see where the week takes us. A couple guys that missed action last night will probably remain out, those guys are Arnaz Battle and Chris Carter. Chris Hoke has a visit to the doctor today as does Jonathan Dwyer. He potentially has a foot issue. LaMarr Woodley is still in play. We will see where this week takes us with him. All other guys are pretty positive from an injury standpoint. We will continue to gather information along those lines with these guys. Guys that were out, you can pretty much anticipate them continuing to be out, due to the nature of the week. The one exception to that is Larry Foote. He has a legitimate chance. The rest of the guys, if they were out, they are probably going to remain out."

Are you considering not kicking to Joshua Cribbs, the Browns' outstanding kick returner?

"Those are things we need to consider, particularly when you start talking about weather. I haven't looked at the weather forecast for Thursday night but if wind is an issue, along with his skill set, those are some of the things you consider, not only in punt returns but in kick returns."

Is there a tendency to hold back, considering the Steelers have beaten the Browns 14 out of the last 15 times?

"If we would have played them 14 or 15 times this year, then yes. But the team we are assembling and the team they are assembling are different than some of the teams that have taken part in that history. We tend to live in the now. We are looking at what they are capable of this year compared to what we've done and what we're capable of this year. We are probably not going to have a level of comfort when looking at it from that perspective."

Did LaMarr Woodley have a setback with his injury?

"I don't know if you want to characterize it as a setback at this point. I think that the week will provide that legitimate information for us. Obviously, he felt something, and he was mature enough to not do any further damage to it. We appreciate that. We will see if that provides an opportunity for us to put him in play this week."

Was Woodley on sort of a pitch count?

"Certainly, he was going to be on a pitch count. He didn't log enough time for that to become an issue. But that's generally the case when you are talking about a guy coming off of an injury, whether it's LaMarr Woodley or anyone, particularly when the guys that are replacing them have played as solid as Jason Worilds has. There was going to be a pitch count. It didn't come to that. I gave you the information I had in regards to the thought process of pulling him out of the game and letting him remain out of the game."

Re: Direct correlation between running the football and red zone success:

"There was yesterday. That's not always going to be the case. I think each week presents different challenges, partly due to how we are built and what we have ready to go, and the capabilities and schematic approach of our opponents, but it was a factor yesterday."

Is the cliché, playing how you practice throughout the week, true for your team?

"I measure practices on performance, and just that. We've practiced to the tune of 9-3 this year."

Re: rookie cornerback Curtis Brown:

"He is doing a nice job (on special teams). He's got a different sense of urgency than most. His hair is on fire. This guy competes when he's in position to make plays. He competes when he is in less than ideal positions, double-teams. He's an exciting young guy, not only because of what he's doing on special teams, but generally, if a guy plays with that kind of urgency and that kind of production on special teams, it's a window to what he may be capable of doing at some point on offense or defense. We are excited about him, but I think we are getting similar efforts and contributions from Cortez Allen."

Is Brown close to being in sub-package football?

"We'll see."

How does Brown have a different sense of urgency?

"He's probably better suited to answer that. I am just telling you what I see. He stays in the fight. He's extremely competitive. He doesn't back down from confrontations or challenges, and those are things that are encouraging when you're talking about a young player."

Did you consider moving Chris Kemoeatu to left guard and Doug Legursky to right guard when Ramon Foster was hurt?

"Legursky wasn't broken, so we weren't trying to fix it. Trai Essex is a very versatile backup. We have given him some reps at that position during the week as we do every week. So he was ready to go, and we decided to stick with our plan in terms of what we gave from a physical rep standpoint."

If Ramon Foster doesn't play, will Trai Essex start for him?

"That's to be determined. Right now, I am not ready to consider that Ramon isn't playing. We will see where the week takes us."

Re: Advantages and disadvantages of playing on Thursday night:

"It looks pretty good when it's in your rearview mirror and you did the job. Other than that, we all have a lot of work ahead of us here over the next few days."

Can (linebacker) Jason Worilds play both the left and right sides, or is he more comfortable on one side?

"As a non-starter or a starter in waiting, he better be capable of distinguishing himself in whatever we ask him to do, whether it's on the right side or the left side. I don't look for strengths in that area. I identify weakness, and hopefully he's willing to work on them. He better be versatile enough to help us in whatever ways we ask him."

Has Worilds made that jump from rookie to second-year guy that you hoped?

"It's in progress. Check back with me."

Is getting Hines Ward 1,000 catches a priority in this offense?

"We have a bunch of guys with milestone-like things. We can't get consumed with that. If we do what we are supposed to do, I am sure we are capable of realizing all of those things. We can't lose sleep over that. I know it's a personal thing for him. I know it's important to him. But if he's doing what he's supposed to do and we are doing what we are supposed to do, it will take care of itself."

Is Hoke at the doctors for his stinger?

"Yes. He may be at the doctor's office right now. I don't have any additional information other than to acknowledge that he needs to get that looked at today."

Re: Jeremy Kapinos:

"He's done a heck of a job from a punting standpoint. Like I said before, we thought we had two NFL capable punters when we came out of training camp. We were fortunate to be able to reacquire him and that he was available to us. I'd like to see him make sure the ball is not snapped when we have 10 guys on field goal but he's doing a heck of a job as our punter."

Re: Antonio Brown getting hit Sunday:

"Everybody has something that's a little ugly about their job. Casey Hampton takes on double-teams, wide receivers get hit every now and then, so be it."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Re: Mike Tomlin press conference

It bugs me how Tomlin calls the Red-Zone the Red-AREA
Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
It bugs me how Tomlin calls the Red-Zone the Red-AREA
As long as we keep walking away with touchdowns, he can call it the Pink Palace for all I care.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,495 Times in 2,335 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i wonder if it's too late to get curtis brown involved on defense in sub-packages

though it's crazy to think how far bryant mcfadden has dropped on the depth chart this year, from #2 to #5 or even #6 behind brown?
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

It amazes me how prior to the season and draft there were all these posters saying we needed to go CB in the first round, the same folks saying we had no db's giving no regard for our previous picks, complaining Butler was cut. Now we have 3rd and 4 th round rookie dbs playing well. Lewis playing well and Gay finally coming into his own. Where are the doomsayers now ?

Last edited by Rick5895; 12-06-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
As long as we keep walking away with touchdowns, he can call it the Pink Palace for all I care.

heard one of my favorite tomlinisms today-

[ Mike Tomlin on Browns KR Josh Cribbs:] "We've been dead Indians in his cowboy movie enough." .
Old 12-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,140 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
It amazes me how prior to the season and draft there were all these posters saying we needed to go CB in the first round, the same folks saying we had no db's giving no regard for our previous picks, complaining Butler was cut. Now we have 3rd and 4 th round rookie dbs playing well. Lewis playing well and Hat finally coming into his own. Where are the doomsayers now ?
dont worry, they'll all be flushed out like la cucarachas the next time william gay gives up a TD.