Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-20-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Times that try Santonio's soul.....

Football writers have to get in shape, too, so I?m spending the off-season reviewing the history of the world. Sure, it?s a bit comprehensive, but you never know when such a review will pay off -- like now.

A letter from a woman named Sarah Hodgkins, written to her husband, John, an American officer in retreat from the Battle of Brooklyn during our army?s low point in 1776, struck a chord.

?It has been observed,? Mrs. Hodgkins wrote, ?that man?s extremity is God?s opportunity.?

It?s probably been said a million different ways since then, but the sentence made me think about the night Santonio Holmes spent in jail. I wondered what was going through his mind during the 13 hours he spent locked up after being accused of domestic violence, less than a month after being charged with disorderly conduct in Miami, which occurred a month after being drafted in the first round by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

What was going through Holmes?s mind in his moment of extremity? What would he tell the reporters bound to bombard him the next morning? What would he tell Bill Cowher, who?d already scheduled one sit-down with him? What would he tell the Rooneys? His accuser? His other kids and their mother in Florida? And what?s his mother thinking? At least she knew what state her son was in that night.

So the star was in jail. Mr. Big. And all of the above have yet to tear into his signing bonus, so there's a good chance these distractions will continue.

Some are saying Holmes doesn?t even deserve a bonus. Some are saying he should be sent packing, his rights traded for a blocking sled and some old balls. Some are dredging through his past in an attempt to figure out whether Holmes is a bad guy or not. So let?s review the facts:

1. Holmes has three children, ages 4 months to four years, to two different women, neither of whom are this 22-year-old bachelor?s wife.

2. Holmes was charged with disorderly conduct for sassing a cop during a South Beach jaywalking crackdown in Miami. He was visiting two of his children at the time, but slipped out for some human interaction at 3:30 a.m.

3. Holmes was charged this past weekend with domestic violence and assault (with an old tailgating charge thrown in) as he visited his other child. A torn shirt was the alleged crime.
Obviously, points two and three have much to do with point one. He obviously doesn?t want his children to grow up the way he did -- without a dad, as the eldest of four children. ?He had to be big brother, mommy and daddy all at once,? his mother told the Post-Gazette on draft day.

So there?s some understandable anger residing within Holmes, but there?s also indication that he?s trying to do the right thing, that he cares about his children, maybe too much.

Is this the kind of young man the Steelers should turn their backs on? Of course not. In fact it might be the right time for the team to take a keen interest in Holmes. It might be time for Dan Rooney to sit down with Holmes and hash out the problems here. What do the kids want? What do they need? What do their mothers want? What do they need? Involve them if possible; hash out the root of the anger and work on it.

I interviewed Santonio Holmes during the three-day minicamp after the draft. He showed sensitivity, intelligence, humor and respect for me, a complete stranger. Two months later I believe he?s the last person you?d want to throw on life?s scrap heap.

He?s a bit angry. Yes, he?s a rebel. But is he fighting for the proper cause? That?s the question he undoubtedly worked over that night alone in his jail cell.

Don?t be surprised if that night of extremity is the basis of a turnaround. Don?t be surprised if some day, in post-game exultation, he cites that night and how he made sure it became God?s opportunity.

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Jun 20, 2006

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Times that try Santonio's soul.....

I was his apologist once before, and this is a well written and thought out article, but I feel betrayed by the kid...

Maybe when more information comes out and a clearer picture emerges I'll change my mind, but right now I'm too pissed off to think about giving him a second chance.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I was his apologist once before, and this is a well written and thought out article, but I feel betrayed by the kid...

Maybe when more information comes out and a clearer picture emerges I'll change my mind, but right now I'm too pissed off to think about giving him a second chance.
To be perfectly honest, I don't think any of us have a right to be pissed off at the guy. I personally don't know what it's like to have 3 kids with two women, and how frustrating it would be (hell I have frustrations with my ONE wife). Everyone is bagging on him for his pre-marital business, but it's not like any of us could have had the same problems with a little breakge of the rubber. The fact of the matter is, that everyone is very quick to judge here, I say give it some time, it's not time to give up on him yet. I think the Rooney's, Cowher, Porter, and most importantly, Hines will get him moving in the right direction.

Last edited by Stillers#1; 06-20-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,384 Posts

Thanks for the post, but some of the statements are a bit much.

He was visiting two of his children at the time, but slipped out for some human interaction at 3:30 a.m.

"Human interaction" covers quite a bit of territory, some of it in violation of the criminal code. So were the kids visiting with him in a South Beach hotel while he went to to the vending machine to bring back some Diet Cokes for everyone? Doubtful, especially at 3:30 in the morning.

He obviously doesn?t want his children to grow up the way he did -- without a dad, as the eldest of four children. ?He had to be big brother, mommy and daddy all at once,? his mother told the Post-Gazette on draft day.

This of course is the same Mom who said Santonio was in Columbus at the time he was seeking "human interaction" (presumably not in the company of Mom #1 or Mom #2) at 3:30 a.m. in South Beach.

If he does not want his kids to grow up the same way he did, how about marrying (or at least entering into a monogamous, stay at home relationship) with the mother of his first 2 kids rather than siring a third kid with someone else before he is out of his early 20s? Which kids (if any) get a live-in Dad and which only get visits?

A torn shirt was the alleged crime.

Some might say this does not accurately describe the allegations in the police report, which are as follows:

According to a police affidavit, the woman said Holmes did "knowingly cause or attempt to cause physical harm to a family or household member ... by means of choking, throwing her to the ground, grabbing her arms and slamming her into a door, leaving her with bruises, pain and a torn shirt."

Don?t be surprised if that night of extremity is the basis of a turnaround. Don?t be surprised if some day, in post-game exultation, he cites that night and how he made sure it became God?s opportunity.

OTOH, don't be surprised if he becomes the Steelers' version of Nebraska gangsta Lawrence Phillips

Everyone makes mistakes, but domestic violence is not jaywalking and after being arrested in Miami Holmes appears to be dumber than dirt to put himself in a situation such as that which occurred on Sunday night in Ohio.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 06-20-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122

The police report also says that a bystander called 911 first while the altercation was taking place and that he had attempted to break it up because the baby was "screaming her head off." This whole situation just sucks!
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

so far Im spelling the "T" and the "H"....the "U" and the"G" are on standby....

or is ti "P" and "U"...with the "N" and "K" standing by....?

Kid...GET IT TOGETHER!!!!!!