Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-27-2005, 01:13 PM   #11
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

Member Number: 284
Default Re: News Around the NFL

AP reports Browns RB Reuben Droughns, who was prepared to hold out, is participating in passing camp and HC Romeo Crennel is pleased. "He's shown a good attitude, he's been working and taking his reps and he's been trying to do it right," Crennel said. "We'll see. You never can tell, but so far it's been good." He said running backs coach Dave Atkins called Droughns while he was back in Denver and told him the Browns wanted him in Cleveland, but Crennel didn't know if that was instrumental in his return.

AP AP reports OT L.J. Shelton is looking for a place to revive his career. Shelton wrapped up a two-day visit with the Houston Texans on Thursday, continuing a free-agent tour that began after the Cardinals released the former first-round pick last week. "This is a great organization. I like what I see so far," Shelton said during a tour of the Texans' facilities. "I have to weigh all my options. I'm kind of waiting to see what happens." Shelton, selected No. 21 in the 1999 draft out of Eastern Michigan, has already visited the Chicago Bears and has a trip set for Kansas City later in the week. Jacksonville is also believed to be interested. Shelton's agent, Vance Larimer, has said his client would like to make a decision by the end of next week.

AP reports free agent CB R.W. McQuarters left Redskins Park without a contract yesterday. HC Joe Gibbs said the Redskins will continue negotiations with McQuarters. Also the Bucs have expressed a desire to meet with free-agent CB R.W. McQuarters. McQuarters, who was released this week by the Bears, finished up two days of meetings with the Redskins on Thursday and is expected to meet with the Giants either this weekend or early next week. Should he not sign with the Redskins or Giants, McQuarters likely will begin a tour of Florida teams, including the Bucs, next week.

AP reports the New Orleans Saints thought they had a good shot to land WR Troy Brown. One problem: His wife supposedly told him either he plays in New England or he retires. The Saints offered Brown more money -- $1.2 million for this season on a multiyear deal to $800,000 from the Patriots -- but Brown decided to stay put with the world champs. For that monetary difference, it's hard to argue with his decision. He also signed a promotional deal with a New England bank that will help make up for the lost money. This was a no-brainer for Brown. The word around the league is the Patriots plan to use Brown more as a defensive back than a receiver. That makes sense since the receiving corps is so deep with players who are much faster than Brown. The addition of WR David Terrell is one that will really pay dividends, which is why Brown could see more time on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #12
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Chef

I don't get your point at all. Law can either still play, or he can't. If he can, he's a good guy to have around. He may be a loner, but he loves to win. Bringing a winner into that organization will only help.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #13
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

My question is, why would he want to go. He is to far along in hus career to just teach winning to a 3-13 team, that shows no sign of improving this year
Old 05-27-2005, 05:22 PM   #14
hardwork
Banned

One reason he might do it is because he's damaged goods right now. He might think that if he signs a one year deal, plays well, he can then get back in the hunt for bigger money.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:28 PM   #15
hardwork
Banned

I should add, that if he feels good, and he can begin to cut without pain, he should give the Steelers a call. That's what I'd do. But, maybe he isn't that confident. Times ticking away, and he still can only run straight ahead.

Last edited by hardwork; 05-27-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:07 PM   #16
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Hw, to answer your good questions. I don't think he wants to pull a Parcels and bring a Drew Bledsoe everywhere he goes. Just saying sometimes in sports you sever ties. Phil Jackson never hounded Jordan to come away from the wizards to play for him. You just move on. Yes the browns have had bad luck with draft choices, but this team needs new, young players for the team to identify with. They need to stop plugging fingers in the dike and address their identity. Give up 200 yards rushing a game last year, so lets sign a aging/hurt CB. Not saying you can't add some older veterans for stability, but my brain says Law would be a bad fit in Cleve. I might be wrong.

Last edited by ironcitychef; 05-27-2005 at 06:39 PM.
ironcitychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #17
hardwork
Banned

Chef

You're right in that Ty Law is a thoroughbred, and like most thoroughbreds, he's hard to handle. But, Romeo knows that.

You're right to in that he can't carbon copy the Patriots. But, Romeo knows that also.

What has to be done in Cleveland is that the entire franchise, fans, press, etc., has to begin to see that team do things to other teams that they are only used to seeing done to them.

There has to be a total reversal. One way to do that is to bring in a player, or two, who plays with a completely different attitude, and with a completely different style. It's like shock therapy. All of a sudden everybody is seeing an experienced player who hasn't been contaminated by the situation in Cleveland. Then you begin to see other players thinking, hey, wait, we can do this to.

Now, is Law ideal for that role? No. He isn't a great looker room leader. But, if healthy, he's so good on the field, it may not matter.

Then, after a few years of using that method, Romeo's draft picks, and free-agent pick ups, will begin to represent the mold he wants to go forward with.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:11 PM   #18
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork
One reason he might do it is because he's damaged goods right now. He might think that if he signs a one year deal, plays well, he can then get back in the hunt for bigger money.
This would make sense! I could see that!
Old 05-27-2005, 11:04 PM   #19
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Yeah he's batting 1000 right now.. a 1st round draft pick who will barely have played in 2 years, and now has to pay back some of his money, a FA RB who's gonna hold out, Trent Dilfer for a QB, ...sorry, but I'll reserve my praises for him, for now.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:13 AM   #20
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

I`ll be honest I would have never hired Romeo myself, I like starting fresh with a young head coach that can stick it out for the long haul, years and years. Nothing against Romeo I`m sure he was one of the smartest coaches around, but how come it took so long to get picked up.