Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,831 Times in 4,092 Posts
Default Colt McCoy can't remember James Harrison's hit,

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...medium=twitter

Quote:
PITTSBURGH, Pa. -- James Harrison did it again. Another helmet to helmet hit, another Browns player down writhing in pain.

Last year it was wide receivers Mohamed Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs. Both were smashed in the head by Harrison's helmet and both were knocked out cold. Both suffered concussions. Harrison was fined $75,000 for the hit on Massaquoi.

Thursday night, he drilled Colt McCoy helmet-to-helmet and McCoy remained down on the field for a minute. Harrison was flagged 15 yards for unnecessary roughness and can expect his fine from the league office next week.

"Honestly, I don't remember (the hit)," McCoy told the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram after the game.

McCoy remained out for two plays and the came back in the game, eventually throwing a deciding interception to the Steelers' William Gay.

"He was fine to go back in,'' said coach Pat Shurmur.

Shurmur was asked if Harrison's hit was a cheap shot.

"Well, I mean it was penalized, right?'' said Shurmur. "I think (the officials) felt it was, so it was penalized.''
mary kay calbots hatred is strong
in this article...
Old 12-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Colt McCoy can't remember James Harrison's hit,

So sick of this sissy sh*t
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

and once again the Browns leave Pittsburgh with their tails between their legs.

on another note, let's see if the media rips into the Browns for letting McCoy back into the game after what almost certainly was a concussion, when we got grilled for the way we handled Polamalu and Ward this season, even though neither player returned to the game. all three games were on prime-time, so no excuses. i bet the media doesn't mention it once... especially that douche bag at PFT.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,762 Times in 2,032 Posts
My Mood: Tired

I'm glad Harrison made that hit.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

yeah, even though he gets fined.....whats the "intimidation" value that he lays into the heads of McCoy and other QB's,who are afraid of taking that same hit?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
and once again the Browns leave Pittsburgh with their tails between their legs.

on another note, let's see if the media rips into the Browns for letting McCoy back into the game after what almost certainly was a concussion, when we got grilled for the way we handled Polamalu and Ward this season, even though neither player returned to the game. all three games were on prime-time, so no excuses. i bet the media doesn't mention it once... especially that douche bag at PFT.
I was thinking the same thins
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Im liking Deon Sanders more and more with his comments. Im sure Deon will be fined by Goodell shortly for not being a puppet. He and Irvin gave some good comments on the hit.

Interesting though, how exactly did McCoy re-renter the game if he couldnt remember the hit? What happened to the extensive battery of tests on the sideline that has to be done? They wrapped a finger on his left hand and the 2 idiot announcers started comparing his toughness to Ben, LOL
If he couldnt remember the hit, by new NFL concussion rule, he would never have been let to go back into the game.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,130 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...medium=twitter

mary kay calbots hatred is strong
in this article...

She's just padding her journalism stats.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,631 Times in 712 Posts

So now the rumor is that the league may suspend Harrison?

Really?
For what?

I watched that play from beginning to end and what I saw was a QB who came running out of the pocket and thus became a running back and it did look as if he was going to run with the ball. So James took a bead on him (like he's paid to do) and went after him as a runner.

McCoy pulls up at the last second and tosses a short pass and James hit him.

Even the talking heads are saying that the hit wasn't late and in my opinion it wasn't intentionally head-first either.
As James was approaching McCoy, it was clear that he was aiming for his upper torso and just before impact he lowered his head (which is the natural thing a human does when bracing for such an impact) and hit McCoy just above the numbers. McCoy, (again just as humans do) also braced for the impact by lowering HIS head and James caught him on the facemask.

So what's the problem?

What they should show Goodell is the exchange between McCoy and Harrison a few plays later when James obviously said something to McCoy (probably something like "Sorry about that") and McCoy says something back (probably, "Don't worry about it") and pats Harrison on the helmet in a friendly way.
Is this the reaction of a man who has been the victim of a vicious and devastating hit?

The fact that McCoy was out on the field after missing only one play (and we were told that he missed the play because they had to tape up a dislocated finger and nothing was said about any head injury) and then later he and James are seen talking to each other with McCoy giving him a "Good hit" tap on the helmet, should also be part of the "evidence" that Goodell should be evaluating.

A totally off the wall response like that of Suh's should definitely be dealt with harshly because no one could find anything good to say about that.
But Harrison's hit on McCoy is just football and judging by McCoy's reaction, he thinks so as well.

Remember what Lombardi once said: "Dancing is a contact sport... football is a HITTING sport."
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote