Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Harrison awaits repercussions from hit

By Ralph N. Paulk
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 10, 2011

In the aftermath of the Steelers' sluggish 14-3 victory over Cleveland on Thursday night, an unapologetic James Harrison was somewhat perplexed about the roughing-the-passer penalty he incurred late in the fourth quarter.

Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy left the pocket to complete a pass to Montario Hardesty with 5:59 to play and the Browns trailing, 7-3. Harrison delivered a vicious helmet-to-helmet blow that left McCoy stretched out on the cold, ragged Heinz Field turf.

The penalty tacked on 15 yards, placed the ball on the Steelers' 19 and positioned the Browns to steal a rare victory in this one-sided AFC North rivalry. But five plays later, cornerback William Gay intercepted a hurried pass from a disoriented McCoy.

Harrison isn't likely to escape the wrath of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell when league officials deliberate next week to consider either a fine or suspension -- or both.

"From what I understand, once the quarterback leaves the pocket, he's a runner," Harrison said. "All the 'defenseless' liberties a quarterback has in the pocket are gone.

"You can tackle him just as if he's a running back. The hit wasn't late, so I really don't understand why it was called. We'll see what transpires later on in the week."

According to a league spokesman, Harrison's hit on McCoy probably will be reviewed early next week to determine whether referee Ed Hochuli's crew erred in penalizing Harrison for illegal contact to the head - a rule change tweaked specifically to protect "a passer who is in a defenseless posture."

Harrison clearly made contact with McCoy's helmet as he torpedoed his 255-pound body into the Browns' quarterback, who was exposed after releasing the pass. McCoy, who later complained of concussion-like symptoms, said he couldn't remember Harrison's hit. He was visibly dazed as he walked through the stadium corridor prior to his postgame interview.

Harrison and his agent, Bill Parise, are preparing for Goodell to deliver the next blow in a verbal sparring match that began when Harrison publicly ridiculed the commissioner during the NFL lockout for insinuating he's a dirty player.

However, it's Harrison's past that appears to give Goodell leverage to issue a significant fine. The All-Pro linebacker was fined more than $100,000 for three incidents last season, including a helmet-to-helmet blow to Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

"There was nothing dirty about that (McCoy) hit," Parise said Friday. "There was nothing malicious about it. It was nothing more than a great player making a great play.

"I don't think anyone watching (Thursday) night - including the league office - feels that was a flagrant hit. It's just football. It was a tenth of a second between (McCoy) releasing the ball and James hitting him."

Parise acknowledged that he and Harrison exchanged text messages yesterday, but declined to say if their conversation centered on how they will move forward if the league opts to fine Harrison.

"There are a couple of issues here," Parise said. "The (league) will look at the tape, and I would want to hear what they say before James and I make a decision.

"I'm certainly willing to appeal. Right now, we're all sitting here saying, 'What if?' I think it's proven that appeals are basically worthless."

However, Parise convinced league officials last season to reduce two of Harrison's fines.

It may not factor into Goodell's decision, but the Steelers are among the most heavily fined teams in the league this season. Safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu have both been fined twice this season, including Clark's $40,000 fine for his Nov. 6 hit on Ravens tight end Ed Dickson.

Ralph N. Paulk can be reached at rpaulk@tribweb.com or 412-320-7923

Read more: Harrison awaits repercussions from hit - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...#ixzz1gEW3VfDv
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,044 Times in 879 Posts
Default Re: Harrison awaits repercussions from hit

So what's the deal with Goodell and Harrison?

Did Harrison run over his dog some time ago or what?
I mean, I get the whole Sheriff thing about wanting to clean up the bad hits but there is definitely something more to this when it comes to Harrison. It's seems more and more like there's something personal going on here and it even seems to extend to the Steelers as an organization.

I wonder what's in Goodell's closet that makes him focus so much on one team and specifically one player?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Boomer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19165

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post

I mean, I get the whole Sheriff thing about wanting to clean up the bad hits but there is definitely something more to this when it comes to Harrison. It's seems more and more like there's something personal going on here and it even seems to extend to the Steelers as an organization.

I wonder what's in Goodell's closet that makes him focus so much on one team and specifically one player?
Goodell's in Roger Kraft's back pocket. Who's owners box is he always seen sitting in? So of course he's gonna hate the Steelers. But that's OK, we hate him back. I don't wish bad things on people but he's an exception to that rule.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:

Harrison didn't do himself any favors this past offseason during the lockout when he made a number of quite unflattering comments to the media about Goodell.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Quote:

Well - if you want to keep it from getting personal it probably is not wise to hand out these sorts of quotes

When Harrison was summoned to league headquarters in November to meet with Goodell, NFL executive vice president Ray Anderson, and director of football operations Merton Hanks, he was made to watch a reel of his questionable hits plucked from four years as a starter. “They take 10 plays out of 4,000 snaps and want to know my thought process on each,” he says. “What I tried to explain to Goodell, but he was too stupid to understand, is that dudes crouch when you go to hit them. With Massaquoi, my target area was his waist and chest, but he lowered himself at the last possible second and I couldn’t adjust to his adjustment. But Goodell, who’s a devil, ain’t hearing that. Where’s the damn discretion, the common sense?”

He goes on in cold fury, spitting curses and charges, none of which will earn him sympathy from the “devil” or endorsements for Double Stuf Oreos. “Fa**ot Goodell” (also described as a “punk” and “dictator” by Harrison), Anderson (“another dummy who never played a down”), and Hanks, a former Pro Bowl safety with the Niners (“he needs to be ashamed because he played D before, though he never was what you’d call a real hitter”), conspired, he says, to target the Steelers

http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison/2

But if Goodell does issue a suspension it will be because a lot of media talking heads are pushing for it (local Atlanta sports talk supported a suspension this morning) rather than any personal vendetta - this all started in October 2010 after Goodell overreacted to Rodney Harrison and Tony Dungy going nuts about helmet to helmet hits on the NFL Sunday night pregame show after Harrison and players from Atlanta & New England had helmet to helmet hits earlier that day. Goodell worries first and foremost about how to spin the media (e.g. - Roethlisberger gets a 4 game suspension without even being charged, let alone convicted, of a crime)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,044 Times in 879 Posts

I personally will never fault anyone for speaking their mind as long as whatever they say is what they truly believe.
But I DO get the politics of such things and I DO understand how such comments can have an effect on ego-sensitive people like Goodell.

But coming on the heels of Suh's childishness, I still think it would be difficult to suspend Harrison - especially if it was for two games - and have it seem fair in comparison. This is especially true since Harrison's actions (though extreme to some) can still be viewed as part of "playing football" while Suh's actions clearly had nothing to do with making a play and were completely beyond anything that could be described as having anything to do with the play of the game.

It's sort of like one person getting 20 years for murder and someone else getting the same sentence for punching someone in the nose.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Talking head Chariie Casserly joined the chorus by pushing for a 1 game suspension on the CBS pregame show

ESPN also is saying a 1 or 2 game ban is under consideration

The NFL is considering suspending Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison one or two games for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, according to an NFL source.

The debate about whether Harrison will be suspended will continue at NFL offices Monday morning. But at the very least, he will be hit with a hefty fine for his latest controversial hit

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73...on-source-says

Since Suh got 2 games my guess is the "compromise" will be a 1 game suspension for Harrison

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 12-11-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Add ESPN story
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

Its such BS if Harrison gets suspended.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,302 Times in 3,482 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPsteelers View Post
this
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPsteelers View Post

I'll be the first to admit that the league has been out to make an example of Harrison, but that hit against Mccoy is deserving of a fine at least.