Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default An Argument for Sitting Ben

Tony Dungy said tonight that for the Steelers to do well in the playoffs - we need a MOBILE Ben Roethlisberger. (i know, its a no-duh type of statement)

The Steelers have some power in this matter. They can sit Ben for 3 weeks and let him heal as best as possible. This gives us a chance to have the most mobile QB possible in the playoffs. Or he can try to play right away and reap the possible benefits of winning the next 3 games.

So lets compare the two options and the probabilities involved. To do that, we need to look at what some other teams may do.

Houston has 3 games left - home vs Carolina, away at Indy and home vs Ten. They have a good chance to run the table. If Houston does this - they are the #1 seed.

NE has three games left. Away at Denver, Home vs Miami and then Home vs Buff. They also have a good chance to run the table and if they do - they will be the #2 seed (even if Pit runs the table and Bal loses)

This means that there is a good chance that the Steelers will NOT get a bye even if Baltimore loses and the Steelers win the Division. Despite having beaten NE, we lose the tiebreaker to them in a 3-way tie.

Oakland is at KC, home vs Det then home vs SD. I see them losing one of those games. Denver is home vs NE, at Buf and home vs KC. I see them losing against NE and winning the next two. SD is home vs Bal, at Det, at Oakland. I see them losing at least one game. So I see Denver as the division winner in the west.

As for the wild card - if Pit wins the division, it will be Baltimore and the Jets. If Bal wins the division, it will be Pit and the Jets.

If Ben plays - thinking optimistically - we run the table, and win the division. We get a HOME game against the Jets. BUT Ben is still hobbled as he had not had time to heal. And the following week - we play against NE - with a hobbled Ben.

If Ben sits - thinking pessamistically - we lose against SF but win at least one game against StL or Cleveland and we become the top wild card team. We start the playoffs playing in Denver against Tebow and if we win, we play away in Houston and TJ Yates. All of this with a healthy and mobile Ben.

Based on current probabilities - I would SIT BEN for the next 3 weeks.

I think we will make the playoffs anyways and our match ups will be better if we are the wild card team. Plus we will have a healthy mobile Ben.

We do have the luxury of having a monday night game this week and we can see the outcomes of the other games to see if we should play Ben or not - especially if either Hou or NE is upset.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,789 Times in 1,795 Posts
Default Re: An Argument for Sitting Ben

Then theres the possibility of going 0-3 if he sits and watching the playoffs from the couch.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Then theres the possibility of going 0-3 if he sits and watching the playoffs from the couch.
If you truly truly believe that without Ben, we have a good chance of going 0-3, then by all means you should play Ben - hobbled or not.

I think we can beat StL at home with one of our backups. Just one win will get us in the playoffs as the top wildcard - with a healthier QB
Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,143 Times in 3,096 Posts

Quote:
hater.

arians needs to pad batch's stats.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,631 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
losing to the browns or rams even without ben?

come on man.

honestly i was thinking of the same thing. 1 more win almost guarantees that we lock the #5 seed. Going 13-3 might still mean we're the #5 seed. Also, I like our chances better as a healthy #5 seeded team rather than a #1 or #2 that is hobbled and possibly with ben gone for the season. Batch will beat the likes of cleveland or st. louis, but will not lead us to a super bowl, even with homefield.

most likely NE and texans run the table, they have a cake schedule the rest of the way.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Just a quick addendum: All of the above probable scenarios are in place because Cincy lost at home to Houston. I thought Cincy had the best chance to beat the Texans. Once Houston beat Cincy - the probabilities became more clear and again, in my view - being a wild card and playing against Tebow and TJ Yates with a healthy QB may be a better option for a super bowl run.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,132 Times in 2,631 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Tebow's gonna need to score 20+ against our defense and I don't see that happening. I've been rooting for the broncos and hoping the raiders lose out. For some reason (yeah prolly the trip all the way to the WC) I hate the idea of going to oakland for the playoffs, but think we could destroy the broncos on their homefield
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
If you truly truly believe that without Ben, we have a good chance of going 0-3, then by all means you should play Ben - hobbled or not.

I think we can beat StL at home with one of our backups. Just one win will get us in the playoffs as the top wildcard - with a healthier QB
Was just throwing out a possibility.

I've had a high ankle sprain before and they suck ass. I was kinda wishing it was broken instead it wouldn't hurt as bad.lol
I'd be a little surprised if he's able to go this week and maybe next. Ben's looked fairly severe but wait and see what happens.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
hater.

arians needs to pad batch's stats.
Homer

Padding your post count.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Tebow's gonna need to score 20+ against our defense and I don't see that happening. I've been rooting for the broncos and hoping the raiders lose out. For some reason (yeah prolly the trip all the way to the WC) I hate the idea of going to oakland for the playoffs, but think we could destroy the broncos on their homefield
I agree. I think if anyone is going to "figure out" Tebow - it will be LeBeau. I also think our offense is more potent than what Denver has recently played.

It will be interesting to see how New England does against Denver. We have as potent of an offense and a much better defense than NE.