Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Will James Harrison be suspended? Is the NFL out to get the Steelers?

Will James Harrison be suspended? Is the NFL out to get the Steelers?
Monday, 12 December 2011 00:30
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...t-the-steelers

Two related issues today:

* Will James Harrison be suspended by the NFL?

* Is the league out to get the Steelers?

Harrison does not deserve a suspension for the helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy Thursday. If the league feels a fine is in order, and it probably will, it should be a whopper, considering Harrisonís past history.

As for a suspension, there has been such a lack of transparency by the NFL on disciplinary issues that itís hard to figure what it will do. But the circumstances of the play must be taken into consideration.

It looked like McCoy was going to run with the ball and Harrison thought he was fair game. Thatís not an excuse but it can be considered mitigating circumstances. Harrison chose to launch himself and the consequences of that were a helmet-to-helmet hit. He will probably pay the price for his recklessness.

But heís been on good behavior for more than a year. A suspension is not warranted, particularly because of the confusion on the play.

If, however, Harrison is suspended that does not mean the league is out to get the Steelers. That's a charge regularly thrown around Pittsburgh and on this blog. Itís a serious charge with little or no foundation.

Answer this question: What possible motivation would the NFL have to be out to get the Steelers?

The Steelers are a premier franchise. They draw viewers, they draw fans to visiting stadiums. People regularly accuse MLB of catering to the Yankees and Red Sox. The Steelers are the NFL equivalent of the Yankees and Red Sox.

Thereís no reason for the NFL to be out to get the Steelers or any team. No sports league more values its integrity than the NFL. The best way to destroy that integrity is to be deliberately unfair to any team or teams.

Lastly, the notion that Roger Goodell is behind this attempt to get the Steelers is beyond preposterous. Goodell, if anything, is indebted to the Rooney family, which backed him when he was seeking the commissionerís job.

No owner -- and the owners are Goodell's boss -- would stand for unfair treatment of another team. If they did, they might be next.

Finally . . . the belief the refs are under orders from Goodell to hurt the Steelers chances of victory is equally without merit.

The Steelers are 16th in the league in penalties and 12th in penalty yards. Those numbers should end any discussion of officiating discrimination.

If the league is out to get the Steelers, what is it doing to the 15 teams that have drawn more penalties?

Sure there are calls that go against the Steelers. There are calls that go against all teams. Good, bad or indifferent, the officials are human. They make mistakes -- just like the players.

Give it up, Pittsburgh. The Steelers are a cherished NFL franchise. It would be stupid to deliberately plot against them.

(What Smizik doesn't realize is that Godell is stupid! (and arragoent and ignorant, etx. Note the misspelling of Goodell was deliberate. Then again Smizk isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer either. After all he thinks Airhead is a good OC. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Steelerindc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15880
Default Re: Will James Harrison be suspended? Is the NFL out to get the Steelers?

Word on the street is that James Harrison will be suspended for a game or two. So we know he will be suspended now it's all about how long now.

Is the NFL out to get the Steelers, I don't like to feed into conspiracy theories but I can only compare it to the NBA and Dennis Rodman. It seemed like the refs in the NBA was always looking for something to suspend him for. Anything he would do warranted him a fine or suspension and it was b/c throughout his career he built a reputation for certain behavior.

The Steelers aren't Dennis Rodman but they have a reputation of hard hitting. The NFL are fining players for hard hitting, not illegal hits for the most part.

If you hit someone hard it can be clean but if it looks bad the refs are going to flag you. That's just the way it is now.
Steelerindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,648 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Will James Harrison be suspended? Is the NFL out to get the Steelers?

and the flip side to that is Jordan who never, never, never got called for traveling because the way he played the game pushed the limits and was spectacular. I remember plenty of discussion from 1991 to 1998 that the refs tended to favor Jordan and he was almost 99/100 times also able to draw a foul driving to the basket, no matter how little contact was made on him

I def think teams and players earn reputations and are part of what shapes the trends of any league. We all know some how some way the Steelers are always involved in big games, make spectacular plays or are victims of flukey plays, put hard hits on opponents and get hit apretty darn hard too. That's what happens when you are a storied franchise that wins and wins and wins with plenty of hall of fame caliber to pro bowl caliber players that fill your roster - you are going to constantly be part of what is trending.

Right now, for me, Mike Wallace put it best - because of our successes and because of our defense's hard hitting reputation in a changing league - The Steelers are "Public Enemy #1" and I do believe because of who we are, certain situations are going to be amplified - whether good or bad.

I.E. - nobody is going to make a huge fuss if a Browns OLB gets fined or suspended but, when James Harrison of THE Pittsburgh Steelers get suspended - its huge news Smizik has it right - we are, along with Green Bay, the equivalent of Yankees/Red Sox. We're one of the premier teams so everything that happens, good or bad, is heavily focused on by the rest of the teams and their fans.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

So, Mr. Smizik, think about this about the flags situtaion:

Say a team gets 10 false start penalties. Not really game changing.
Then the Steelers get ONE pass interference call in the end zone late in the game that gives someone a chance to score and win.

Your logic fails.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerindc View Post
If you hit someone hard it can be clean but if it looks bad the refs are going to flag you. That's just the way it is now.
if the League can muddy the water enough, and blur the definite lines of reality, they can do & get-away with whatever-the-F they want, and make a story where none exists:
if the sheeple continue buying the product, don't expect Ms. Goodell to change her modus-operandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
and the flip side to that is Jordan who never, never, never got called for traveling because the way he played the game pushed the limits and was spectacular...
the NBA bastardized the game & prostituted themselves out to TV when they allowed the rules of the game to be ignored so that Jordan could fly through the air, tongue-out, and dunk the ball, running-over opponents while doing-so:
Jordan would have difficulty scoring 25 points in a game, if it were officiated by WPIAL referees who followed the letter-of-the-law, as-written basketball rule-book, calling such things as traveling, palming, pivot-foot violations, etc.

the NFL is doing the same by becoming a pass-and-tab League, just so that retired QBs & WRs can sit-around a desk on various TV networks, and talk gushingly about the current crop of QBs & WRs:
don't buy the hype!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Anyone that watched the game would know that McCoy was scrambling (he had run for a first down a few plays before). Whats the difference between that or hits Vick takes out of the pocket? He will get suspended and there is nothing anyone can do about it. The owners and coaches have stayed silent so why should we care?

ESPN is on a major witch hunt. Try to watch or listen to any show and tell me anyone is taking a neutral stance?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

Bullshit they are to out to get the Steelers........specifically they're out to stop us from hitting hard

Its BS pure an simple, the fffing refs throw the damm flag on anything that looks too violent to them

They don't want tough hard hitting defenses ruining their Fantansy Football/Nerd demographic who like watching numbers go up and down more then the actual game

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,648 Posts
My Mood: Fine

best medicine for a lot of things would be for us to win the Lombardi with this group and watch them get up on the podium and state in spite of the league's best efforts - you'll never get rid of defense in Pittsburgh

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
wera176
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18645

Regardless of what happens, I'm still PO'd at Harrison: he KNOWS better, he knew it was the QB, he did NOT have to hit him that high he had him dead to rights and could have wrapped him or heck drive his shoulder through him. It's like you tell your kids NOT to do something and then they do it right in front of you. It no longer matters if it really was a bad thing or not...

The hit deserved the flag (dem da rulez) and I won't be upset at a fine. A suspension is too much imo. First offense this season and was between the whistles. But James, PLEASE use your head to think with brother!

And yes, the NFL is ruining the game...
wera176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

I do not think he should be suspended but he will. I do think the NFL makes the Steelers the road kill on their quest for a league where players should wear skirts which is what they want

He should be fined and fined minimally.

My reasoning is Harrsion plays 100% at all times and he was coming to stop McCoy full speed and McCoy was setting up to pass, which he did, so the right way to defend in this bang bang play was to come it high.
McCoy jumped show how could Harrsion position a high tackle or pass knockdown precisely.. If a player hits a stationary target helmet to helmet, it is completely avoidable, but a runner coming right at you who may throw or run is just not easy to judge what parts of both bodies will contact.

I have never seen a ball carrier fined for lowering his helmet into a defensive player while running the ball. In this case McCoy was a runner, and the penalty should be adjusted as such.
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote