Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #21
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,504 Times in 3,133 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: HARRISON SUSPENDED FOR ONE GAME

welcome to the nazi football league. heil adolf goodell!
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #22
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Look... I'm all about big hits as much as the next guy, but why can't Harrison seem to realize you can't hit a guy in the face with the top of your helmet? He could easily have hit him just as hard going for the midsections with his shoulder and wrapping him up.

I totally get his is an intimidator. And I get he likes big hits. But after 5 fines and a bright spotlight, don't you think it is time to figure out how to play the new game? Plenty of other players have...

He has given multiple concussions in the past 3 years with his hits. The league is trying to stop concussions. Perhaps the suspension was the only way to send the message to players who don't react to monetary penalties.

Don't know if he will change his ways, but for the sake of your team, I hope he does.
What sport did you watch before football?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #23
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182

Quote:
Look... I'm all about big hits as much as the next guy, but why can't Harrison seem to realize you can't hit a guy in the face with the top of your helmet? He could easily have hit him just as hard going for the midsections with his shoulder and wrapping him up.
+1 Harrison could have destroyed McCoy with a solid and perfectly legal hit, but instead kept his head high and put a shot right in his face.

I don't believe that the hit warranted a suspension, but it was still a very poor decision by Harrison to stay high like he did.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #24
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
When you think back to the hits he was fined for (i.e. Brees) the title "repeat offender" is so inflated.

Herm Edwards just said the hit looked clean. The fact that every hit he lays out hard is deemed illegal only adds to his so called reputation.

My question is what do you think Tomlin says? Some of the Steeler beat writers seem to be taking the high road.
Herm's not the only one, every ex player I saw talking about it was on Harrison's side: Dieon, Faulk, Keyshawn, and Herm. It's only these "writers" that were calling for a suspension, you know, the guys who have never played a play in football. As for Tomlin, he will say nothing because he is limited. What's more dissapointing is the Rooneys will continue to say/do nothing.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #25
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:

I totally get his is an intimidator. And I get he likes big hits. But after 5 fines and a bright spotlight, don't you think it is time to figure out how to play the new game? Plenty of other players have...

He has given multiple concussions in the past 3 years with his hits. The league is trying to stop concussions. Perhaps the suspension was the only way to send the message to players who don't react to monetary penalties.

Don't know if he will change his ways, but for the sake of your team, I hope he does.
Yes, goodness knows, he needs to play clean. Like Ray Lewis.

Kindly take that bullshit elsewhere.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #26
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,504 Times in 3,133 Posts

Quote:

it's hard to change something you've been trained to do since day 1. I've played safety/corner from pee wee leagues to high school, and they always taught us to lead with the helmet in between the numbers.

of course if you really wanted to put the hurt on someone or establish your dominance, you'd hit them in the grill. this usually flies up to college and you don't get penalized for it until you're in the pro leagues. but telling someone to change something they did for the last 15+ years isn't automatic
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #27
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,511 Times in 671 Posts

Just listened to the talking heads on First Take and Bayless (of all people) says that the suspension is too much and that the hit wasn't a punishable hit.

Mangini and Steven A. both think it's too light and should have been two games because of Harrison's record and the warnings he's received. Bayless argues that the warning don't change the fact that the hit itself wasn't out of line and THAT is what I think is missing here.

Just because Harrison has done things like this in the past doesn't automatically make this a bad hit. It IS possible for someone with a bad reputation to do good things or to do things within the rules and not every single hit has to be judged against his history.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #28
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

I'm appalled, disgusted, and feel like thowing up.
I knew this was coming, but it doesn't make it feel any better.
This wasn't someone who spit in somebody's face, or punched someone in the face, or bodyslammed someone on purpose. This was a 'bang-bang' play on the field......it happens.
Truly a disgusting, hall-of-shame moment for the history of the NFL. I don't know what else to say.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #29
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Sorry but I just don't see where that particular hit warrants a one game - or ANY game suspension. I watched a lot of football this past weekend and I saw plenty of hits that were far worse than his and many for which not even a flag was thrown.

I know that he has a reputation and all that but if a questionable hit is supposed to be judged on its merit, I'd say James' hit was borderline at best and may have warranted a fine but that's it. A borderline hit cannot be made more severe just because it was Harrison doing the hitting.

At least it wasn't two games because if it was then the NFL would be saying that James' hit was as bad as Suh's assault and that would have probably resulted in death threats against Goodell.

As far as San Fran is concerned, I think we'll be OK without Harrison, especially since we didn't have him for a few games already this year and we survived.

But still...
So whats this tell you? Someones out to get somebody doesnt it?

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #30
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

also, an appeal should be just that. An appeal. With a chance of getting a ruling over-turned.

Unfortunately, in this communist-like dictatorship, an appeal is a complete joke, a waste of time, and not really "an appeal".
Just despicable. Shame on the NFL. I'm calling their office and telling them that my NFL subscription is canceled (i'll watch the pirated telecasts online) and that i'll never buy a piece of NFL licensed merchandise again. Ever.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote