Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,215 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Mike Pereira calls out Jon Gruden

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/m...-saints-122811

Pretty sick of this Mike Pereira guy. He refers to Gruden as a blowhard who has poor knowledge of the rules and someone who is disrespectful to the officials. Cry me a river Pereira. You act like a know it all and a whiny crybaby whenever someone calls officiating into question. While rules are rules it doesn't mean that we have to agree with them. I watched the hit on a "defenseless" receiver in the Falcons game. It was a joke. Are defensive players just supposed to let them catch the ball first then let them get their feet and turn before they hit them? Defensive players are taught to separate the receiver from the ball. That's football. These new "defenseless" rules are a crock of crap and I completely agree with Gruden.

Playing defense is becoming difficult the NFL and it's not because offenses are just that good it's because Goodell is hiding behind his "player safety" excuse when his real motivation is to have these pass heavy, high scoring, revenue generating games. It's all about the money. Where's the rules to protect defensive players who get hit with open handed strikes to the head from stiff arms? Where's the rules to protect defensive players from running backs who intentionally stick their helmet down and spear linebackers, safeties, or defensive backs? Why is horse collar tackling illegal but you can grab a guys hair and drag him down by that ala Larry Johnson vs Troy Polamalu. If it was all about player safety wouldn't it go both ways?
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,237 Times in 1,854 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Mike Pereira calls out Jon Gruden

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/m...-saints-122811

Pretty sick of this Mike Pereira guy. He refers to Gruden as a blowhard who has poor knowledge of the rules and someone who is disrespectful to the officials. Cry me a river Pereira. You act like a know it all and a whiny crybaby whenever someone calls officiating into question. While rules are rules it doesn't mean that we have to agree with them. I watched the hit on a "defenseless" receiver in the Falcons game. It was a joke. Are defensive players just supposed to let them catch the ball first then let them get their feet and turn before they hit them? Defensive players are taught to separate the receiver from the ball. That's football. These new "defenseless" rules are a crock of crap and I completely agree with Gruden.

Playing defense is becoming difficult the NFL and it's not because offenses are just that good it's because Goodell is hiding behind his "player safety" excuse when his real motivation is to have these pass heavy, high scoring, revenue generating games. It's all about the money. Where's the rules to protect defensive players who get hit with open handed strikes to the head from stiff arms? Where's the rules to protect defensive players from running backs who intentionally stick their helmet down and spear linebackers, safeties, or defensive backs? Why is horse collar tackling illegal but you can grab a guys hair and drag him down by that ala Larry Johnson vs Troy Polamalu. If it was all about player safety wouldn't it go both ways?
This Pereira guy probably never played football in his life. Sure, he was a referee, but I doubt he ever played a snap. They pick these bums up at McDonald's and give them a rule book. No matter how knowledgeable you are of a game's rules, you shouldn't be able to make calls unless you've played a little football yourself.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

That's why I hate some of these football announcers. A lot of them are just there for the voice.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,864 Times in 3,720 Posts

troy has free will to cut his hair and is lucky the league doesnt mandate short hair, or atleast the locks being tied up as part of the uniform code. i couldnt play football for my HS team cause i wouldnt cut my hair for some bs policy.

as for pereira, until last year, he was the nfl's head of officiating and knows the rules better than any zebra in the game ( as well as most coaches). its his job. im sure most coaches know more X's and O's than him.

ive seen him call out refs plenty of times for a wrong call and feels he does a pretty good job as an expert analyst. cant blame him for the rulebook being FUBAR.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
troy has free will to cut his hair and is lucky the league doesnt mandate short hair, or atleast the locks being tied up as part of the uniform code. i couldnt play football for my HS team cause i wouldnt cut my hair for some bs policy.

as for pereira, until last year, he was the nfl's head of officiating and knows the rules better than any zebra in the game ( as well as most coaches). its his job. im sure most coaches know more X's and O's than him.

ive seen him call out refs plenty of times for a wrong call and feels he does a pretty good job as an expert analyst. cant blame him for the rulebook being FUBAR.

What the hell? Why the hell did I think Mike was DeMaurice Smith??? Guess this means it's time to sleep.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,864 Times in 3,720 Posts

lol... i agree d. smith is mostly crap. havent heard jack shit from him this season other than him collecting on his million dollar bonus.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,215 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

I don't blame him for the rulebook but I get sick and tired of his high and mighty attitude. Pereira has an "I'm always right and you're always wrong" type of attitude about him. I don't care how well traveled he is or how thorough his knowledge is of the rulebook. The fact of the matter is a lot of these rules are outlandish and geared too heavily in favor of protecting only the players on the offensive side of the ball. As for Polamalu I don't care about his getting his hair pulled, I think if you're going to wear it that long it's part of the uniform. The shoulder pads are part of the uniform too and horse collar tackles should not be illegal in football period. I've been horse collared myself a few times and never have I ever felt that I it was so dangerous that it needed to be penalized. It's because of one freak year where they had a few injuries associated with it that people overreacted and voted to make it against the rules.

Pereira has no business calling out Gruden. Gruden is entitled to his opinion and I like listening to Gruden because he's plain spoken and speaks his mind. I appreciate that from Gruden. I don't need to listen to the NFL company line garbage that Pereira spits out all the time.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post

C'mon now. How are we going to sell all those pink Brady jerseys to the milfs in the Lexuses if Brady is hurt or the games are "boring"? You know the pink #12 jersey is what all the cool moms are wearing to the PTA meetings these days. If the NFL isn't careful they might go back to having blue collar guys in the stands drinking domestic beer. How you gonna make any money off of those guys? Gotta get Mrs. doctor and lawyer involved so she'll tell Mr. Moneybags the PSL prices are worth it.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote