Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,380 Times in 2,080 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Welcome to the National Faiy League

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
we are heading to a point where, at least QB's, will be totally protected. They will not be allowed to be tackled or hit. There will be a "flag" or "touch" rule of some sort worked out. You watch. I believe its coming in our lifetime and we will live to see that.
I wouldn't bet against it.......we're half-way there.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

I said this 53 weeksago, and it is worth repeating, in-light of Ms. Goodell's recent actions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
by age 7, I was going to the old Black & Gold scrimmage at McKee Stadium in Jeannette, Pa., attending 2-3 days of camp per-week at St. Vincent's during my dad's summer vacation (back-then, we were lucky to get 100 people showing-up at camp), and getting a ride from our home in Greensburg whenever possible when he was working, or convincing one of the guys' mothers to take us

the League built it's reputation on being as physical game, played by hard men, and didn't shy away from publicity like 'The Violent World of Sam Huff':

the classic picture of Chuck Bednarik standing over a fallen & unconscious Frank Gifford epitomized the game of the 1960's

as that decade wore-on, 30 minute pre-game shows on CBS (NFL) & NBC (AFL) glamorized the images of contact & hitting ~ long-before ESPN, a little-known entity called 'NFL Films' began making weekly 1/2-hour clips, highlighting the previous weeks action, further cementing the physicality of the game:
vicious hits were shown in slow-motion, mouth-pieces & chin-straps flying, further enticing viewers to watch the League

soon, Dick Butkus was speaking about 'running-back losing their heads', signs were hung at stadiums reading 'KILL, BUBBA, KILL', and nick-names like 'the Purple People Eaters' and 'Fearsome Foursome' became known to many Americans enamored with professisonal football:
the NFL used this publicity to surpass baseball as 'America's Game' without batting an eye

as the 1970's dawned, the League, fresh from the AFL/NFL merger, consolidated it's power, and it's publicity continued to grow with teams featuring names like the 'Steel Curtain' and the 'Doomsday Defense', and players called 'the Assassin', and 'Dracula in Cleats', with no-qualms about it's violent nature:
indeed, the networks looked-forward to the annual Raider-Steeler blood-lettings in the playoffs, because they generated record ratings & revenue

in the late 1970's (as it had been for 40 years), the game was based-on running the football, and playing defense, yet despite having become 'America's game', the League & owners decided that if they could increase scoring, they could make the game even-more palatable to the viewing-public (evidence that the college-boy / scumbags couldn't, or wouldn't, enjoy a hard-fought 16-10 game):
what had been holding (i.e. - open-hand pas-blocking) became legal, defenders couldn't play bump-n-run pass-coverage, sneezing in the general direction of the QB became ver-boten, and while scoring escalated, the game became a shell of it's former self

Rozelle passed the torch to Tagliabue, who gave-way to Nancy-boy Goodell, leading to what we have today, an over-hyped, over-commercialized 'fantasy'-driven version of basketball-on-grass:
the game's history & records have become bastardized because of these rule-changes, and despite Rogita's claims he is concerned about players' safety, he intends to increase the schedule from 16 to 18 games

I last spoke with my dad the day of the San Diego 1st round playoff game in January 2009, trying to reconcile after 7+ years of silence between us, as he knew that his time was short:
during the game, he said he loved the Steelers because 'they are the only team that still plays smash-mouth football', but I had to correct him, stating 'by TODAY'S standards, they play smash-mouth football, but this is still pass-n-tab... the League doesn't WANT smash-mouth footbal to be played anymore!', so during the remainder of that game, we discussed how-much the game had changed in the previous 40+ years, and before we said our final goodbyes, he frowned & admitted 'you are correct, this isn't the game we began watching many years ago'

he hung-on to watch that Super Bowl victory against the Red-Robins, and passed-away the next day, content he'd seen his Steelers win another Championship, but I think he realized the game had changed, and not-necessarily for the better

today, we have players fined $75,000 for tackles that don't draw penalty flags, while players who tear-off opponents' helmets and throw punches, which has NOTHING to do with the game of football, get 1/3 of that fine:
which incident gave the NFL a black eye to the general public?

tell me again how Rogita is worried about the 'League's image'?????

I haven't 'given-up' on the Steelers, per-se... I've grown tired of the League, and the game they have turned it into
the only thing those ass-clowns in New York will understand is reduced revenues from declining sales and lower TV ratings

quit watching the inferior product they continue shoveling our way