Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #11
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Sports Beat (Randle El Interview)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL
Not trying to make waves but didnt we have a chance to match the offer? I mean does El deserve a pay rasie or not? I am not saying we should have kept him but we did have the option. Anyway El helped us get where we got last year so I wish the best for him. Bad thing is i bought his jersey for my 4 year old little girl now i got to go get another one
El deserved a raise...but the money and bonus offerred by Washington was way over the top for the actual output that El had...The Steelers could not match it...I certainly dont blame these players for taking the big payday (especially up front bonus money)...every one of these guys are one play away from a career ending injury.

I really do wish him the best. Unfortunately for him...he will need to continue excelling as a KR...because there is NO ONE in a Redskin jersey that can throw him the ball....he will be buried under Moss and Lloyd...and will never go back to the Super Bowl in a Redskin jersey.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
GoFor6
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 2352

El had to go for $30M. I bet he would have stayed for $25M but you can't pay $25M to your #2 receiver - I think the Steelers were thinking in $4.0M average per year range. The Redskins are selling their soul for a Super Bowl run and in 2 years they will be in Salary Cap hell and gut the team. I don't blame El - I have switched jobs for $1,000's - his choice was over $10 MILLION.

Since Cowher has come in the Steelers, no team in the NFL can match our win/loss percentage - we are number 1 - why. Because we draft well, keep the guys with ability and character, pick up a few appropriately priced FA's and JUST WIN BABY.

I think the NFL has a good balance between letting players maximize their value and team continuity. We have 47 of 53 man roster going to camp this year.

Think about is this way - the average career is 4.5 years. In theory you should turn over 10 people each year anyway. The Steelers have average turnover is just little over 8.4 a year in the Cowher era which keeps young and hungry. The Rooneys pay a fair price, not top price, but a fair and reasonable price that produced the best winning percentage.

I believe we had 50% turnover in players from the 2nd to the 3rd Super Bowl for example and that was in totally different era.

EL is gone - we will miss him and he will miss us - but this is life. My wife has an El shirt and she will continue to wear it.
GoFor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor6
El had to go for $30M ... I don't blame El ... Because we draft well, keep the guys with ability and character, ... pay a fair price, not top price, but a fair and reasonable price that produced the best winning percentage ...

EL is gone - we will miss him and he will miss us - but this is life. My wife has an El shirt and she will continue to wear it.
That's the way it should be. Did he leave us, yes. But didn't we have a good time when he was with us, absolutely. Didn't he help us to get our one for the thumb, sure. Besides, he didn't leave us like Plax did. Maybe someday he might even come back. Hold on to your El jerseys if you have them.

For me, he left us. But he went to the Skins. I don't know why, but I also like the Skins better than any other 30 teams (maybe it's because of the Skins & Cowboys rivalry thing, or it might be just the name or logo). LOL