Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Kovacevic: Harrison won't have last laugh

Kovacevic: Harrison won't have last laugh

By Dejan Kovacevic
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 14, 2011

For all the gnashing of teeth that followed James Harrison's one-game NFL suspension Tuesday, the one issue I couldn't recall being raised on Twitter, talk shows or anywhere else was the most relevant: What about Harrison's next hit?

Seemed everyone wanted to do a Zapruder-like breakdown of Harrison's helmet-to-helmet missile strike that concussed Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy last week. Or they wanted to review every similar hit over the past decade, then tally up the misdeeds.

Oh, the injustice of it all, the Nation cried in virtual unison.

A few of Harrison's teammates piped up, too, with cornerback Ike Taylor saying: "I don't understand how you punish James for playing through the whistle. He didn't punch anybody in the privates. He didn't stomp on anybody. He didn't spit in anyone's face. You're going to suspend a man for playing football."

Some of it makes for worthy debate.

Thing is, the past isn't the issue here. It's the future.

Let's assume the NFL harbors no ill will toward the Steelers (I've never bought that, given the Rooneys' stature) or toward Harrison (not so sure there, given that Roger Goodell has been known to read Men's Journal). That would make the league's motivation, in theory, an honorable one: Reduce concussions.

Well, Harrison's hit on McCoy was, as the league subtly pointed out in the headline of its press release, his "FIFTH ILLEGAL HIT AGAINST A QUARTERBACK IN THREE SEASONS." The suspension was intended to be cumulative. Moreover, both of the rules cited in the release one regarding a passer out of the pocket still receiving "special protections," the other regarding "hits to a passer's head and use of the helmet" were violated.

Case closed. That was easy.

So, do you fine Harrison?

How much of a fine is an effective deterrent to a player whose contract is worth $51 million and who shrugged off $100,000 in fines last year?

I had thought until the announcement that the league would go with a fine, and for no small reason: No player had ever been suspended for a head hit between the whistles. But the league evidently saw Harrison as being beyond fines, so they went with the one avenue they knew would get his and everyone's attention: They took him off the field.

It was the right move if aimed at discouraging Harrison in the future. You'd have to think that being forced to watch his teammates play Monday night in San Francisco a pretty big game against the 49ers, you might have heard will sting far more than the $73,529 he'll forfeit. He'll be letting the whole team down.

But really, I'm not sure any message will get through.

Remember, Harrison was telling reporters Monday that he expected neither a suspension nor a fine. That was either him trying to spin things or being outright delusional.

Then, Harrison's initial reaction to the suspension on his Twitter account was "LOL!!!" That's Internet code for "laugh out loud."

Imagine the reaction if he'd merely been fined.

It might be instructive for the Steelers and Harrison to look at the case of the Penguins' Matt Cooke.

When Cooke was issued his 17-game NHL suspension last season, it was unprecedented but widely viewed as fair, even locally. He'd been running players for years, and no piecemeal punishment had any effect until this one. He sat out the playoffs and watched his team rubbed out in the first round. Worse, he heard everyone inside the organization, from Mario Lemieux on down, challenge him to get his act together or get lost.

Since then, Cooke has changed his style, has kept clean and has been a terrific third-line player for the Penguins.

"The way I saw it, I had no choice," Cooke told me Tuesday. "I knew there was going to be extra attention on me, and I'm sure it's the same way with James. You can't slip up."

Lesson learned all around.

The NFL was fair to take this step with Harrison, but only for now. That can't be fully judged until there are more suspensions like it.

The Steelers have been fair, too. Tuesday, Mike Tomlin sharply dismissed any paranoia about the league being out to get Harrison and said of the suspension: "We'll accept that. We're disappointed for James. He's worked extremely hard to change his game."

It might not feel fair to Harrison, who is appealing the suspension through his agent without the team's blessing, perhaps? and told longtime friend Jerome Bettis on Tuesday he has no plan to change anything about the way he plays.

This is one head-on collision Harrison can't win.

Dejan Kovacevic can be reached at dkovacevic@tribweb.com or .

Read more: Kovacevic: Harrison won't have last laugh - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...#ixzz1gUIBL8XN
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: Kovacevic: Harrison won't have last laugh

I agree with the fact that Harrison is in a "no win situation"

To compare Cooke to Harrison is like comparing apples to oranges. To make matters worse Lemieux was crying about how dirty the league was and harboring the dirtiest player in the NHL on his roster.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

the **** with that! since Cooke toned down his play, the entire team has been playing soft.. now they have four players out with concussions or concussion-like symptoms because teams are taking so many shots on Penguins players without any retaliation.

the Steelers better not change their ways. if they do, they'll lose their identity and lose their winning ways.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
the **** with that! since Cooke toned down his play, the entire team has been playing soft.. now they have four players out with concussions or concussion-like symptoms because teams are taking so many shots on Penguins players without any retaliation.

the Steelers better not change their ways. if they do, they'll lose their identity and lose their winning ways.
Yep just look at all the bullcrap hits Boston laid on the Penns last week....not one of them were called for penalties.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,004 Times in 3,348 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

this isn't a spike lee movie, you can't man up against the system and win. that's not the way the world works. sucks but we have to deal with it
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Hopefully he will get the last laugh

Steelers win #7. Harrison goes up to the podium to hold the trophy, next to Goodell. Clears the stage back, spears him and flips his ass to the ground. Takes the mic and says, thank you for #3, and the orgs #7. I'm retiring!!!
That is the way to go out. Who cares about the hall of fame, he will be forever remember as the man in the NFL with the biggest set of balls alive.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

These writers need to play a few snaps on the defensive side of the ball. They just don't get it. Even the one's that were against Harrison's suspension still didn't get that the hit a hard but fair hit, they just didn't think it was worthy of a suspension. As for him winning the fight with the league, there is not an unbiased third party to make a legitimate appeal so it's not even a fight, it's just a nazi controlling a player.

Also, was I reading correctly, this guy agrees that the league is out for the Steelers and especially Harrison?
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

"...What about Harrison's next hit? ..."
so what about Harrison's next 2 Rings, you moronic-wanna-be sports writer ?

Harrison already has 2 SuperBowls, with more to come.
so whois really laughing ?
Hang in there, James.

Last edited by Kanata-Steeler; 12-15-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typo
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,104 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

As I said in another thread: It's easy to point these things out from behind your desk, or in the comfort of your living room. Get out there and play. I have. These writers probably haven't played a snap in their lives. Just there for their writing skills as commentators get hired for their voice.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #10
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

What are you people talking about? All Kovacevic is saying is that Harrison has a good chance of receiving a multiple game suspension for his next personal foul as a repeat offender who has already been suspended. What does that have to do with needing to play football? It's an obvious observation that Harrison needs to be really careful from now on if he wants to stay on the field.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote