Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default On the Steelers: Short-handed team is limping in to important Monday night game

On the Steelers: Short-handed team is limping in to important Monday night game
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have perhaps six or seven Pro Bowl candidates and they may play without five of them in a crucial game Monday night in San Francisco.

The five and their problems: James Harrison (suspension), LaMarr Woodley (hamstring), Ben Roethlisberger (high ankle sprain), Maurkice Pouncey (high ankle sprain) and Troy Polamalu (hamstring).

It's not likely all will miss because Pouncey feels confident he will play and coach Mike Tomlin painted a rosier picture of Woodley, who has missed four starts and three-quarters of a game over the past five because of his lingering injury.

The Steelers are trying to get one game ahead of Baltimore over the final three in order to win the AFC North Division and perhaps get a bye through the first week of the playoffs.
PG VIDEO

"The guys that will be available to us will be the guys that we work with," Tomlin said, restating a long-standing theme of his. "If we lose guys due to suspension or injury, the standard is still the standard. We won't blink in that regard. We've been very consistent in that area."

Like the Steelers, the 49ers are 10-3 and also fighting for a playoff bye. They have clinched the NFC West Division title but are locked in a tie with New Orleans for the No. 2 conference seed in the playoffs.

"I think our guys enjoy the challenges that come with that, meeting that standard," Tomlin said. "Boy, if they enjoy challenges, they have what they are looking for this week."

Tomlin listed Roethlisberger, Pouncey and Polamalu as questionable for the game. Woodley missed three games, then started against Cincinnati Dec. 4, but had to leave in the first quarter because he could not push off of his injured leg. He missed Thursday's game against Cincinnati.

"Under the circumstances with James Harrison, it would benefit us to have LaMarr Woodley," Tomlin said.

Jason Worilds replaced Woodley and would move to right outside linebacker for Harrison Monday night. If for some reason Woodley cannot go or has to leave the game again, Worilds would play on the left side, starting inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons would play in Harrison's spot and Larry Foote would start for Timmons inside.

Charlie Batch, who has been No. 2 all season, would likely start for Roethlisberger. Dennis Dixon, who has not played all season, would dress even if Roethlisberger can play. It's possible that if Roethlisberger does not play, Dixon could still get into the mix at quarterback if Batch starts.

"If we are going into this game with Ben less than 100 percent, three quarterbacks are a potential option," Tomlin said. "So we will get all of our quarterbacks ready so we are ready regardless of the circumstance Monday night."

Tomlin said if Roethlisberger is healthy enough, he will play. He has been wearing a boot on his injured left foot, which is standard procedure for an ankle injury, and not likely to practice today. With the extra day of practice through Saturday, Roethlisberger could go until perhaps Friday before he sees the field.

"If he is going to play, he is going to practice in some form or fashion," Tomlin said. "I think that's appropriate. That is just my approach to this. As we get closer to the weekend, as we deal with situational football -- red zones, short yardage, goal line, third down, and so on -- I believe that everyone who is going to be a participant needs physical reps at those. ... Right now we are just trying to get him as healthy as we can on a day-to-day basis."
Kemoeatu struggles

First, Chris Kemoeatu played himself out of the starting job at left guard he had held for four seasons, and now he may have dropped further on the depth chart after Thursday's performance against the Cleveland Browns.

Kemoeatu entered that game late in the second quarter when Pouncey left and guard Doug Legursky shifted to center. In the second half, Kemoeatu was flagged three times, twice for holding and once for a hands-to-the-face penalty.

Tomlin was asked if there was anything he could do about Kemoeatu's propensity for committing penalties.

"He is playing illegally, so he is getting penalized. He either has to change his technique, or improve his technique, or he won't get the opportunity to."

It's possible that Trai Essex could start at left guard if Pouncey does not play Monday.

"That's to be determined," Tomlin said. "Those are some of the things that we are hashing through, given that the game is Monday, six days away."

It adds up

The resumes of those players who will be missing or could be missing from the Monday night game in San Francisco:

James Harrison: AP NFL defensive player of the year awards (1) ... Pro Bowl appearances (4). ... Times All-Pro (2). ... 45 sacks since beginning of 2008.

Troy Polamalu: AP NFL defensive player of the year awards (1). ... Pro Bowl appearances (6). ... Times All-Pro (4).

Ben Roethlisberger: AFC offensive rookie of the year awards (1). ... Pro Bowl appearances (1).

Maurkice Pouncey: Pro Bowl appearances (1).

LaMarr Woodley: Pro Bowl appearances (1). ... 44 sacks since beginning of 2008.

Note: All-Pro designation as either first or second team.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11348...#ixzz1gUIux5ZU
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,655 Times in 2,404 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: On the Steelers: Short-handed team is limping in to important Monday night game

i hope the media keeps dissing us, we respond well to that

don't kid yourself people, even limping, this steeler team is VERY dangerous. have faith!

we might be losing harrison, but the wooden dong will be back ;)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,473 Times in 1,648 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: On the Steelers: Short-handed team is limping in to important Monday night game

wooden dong lol

safe to say the Niners won't be blowing us out so we have one heck of a chance to come out of their with a W - just have to sustain the initial emotion from the Niners and the crowd

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I still say we win-- I am not sold on the 49ers. That 4-12 team is still in that roster, it will just take the right defense to bring it out of them again....
Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Happy

The Steelers are NOT the team you want to play in the playoffs. Never have been. No matter how high you hold yourself, Pittsburgh is not a team you want to meet in the playoffs, and if we get HFA, it's going to be smooth-sailing.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote