Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Roethlisberger limited in return to Steelers practice

Steelers take wait-and-see approach to Big Ben's ankle injury
NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: Dec. 16, 2011 at 03:55 p.m. Updated: Dec. 16, 2011 at 04:35 p.m.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...s-ankle-injury

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was limited in practice Friday, while safety Troy Polamalu and center Maurkice Pouncey sat out.

Roethlisberger has been nursing a sprained left ankle he injured last week against Cleveland. Coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians both said they'd like Roethlisberger to practice at least once before they decide whether he'll play Monday at San Francisco. He sat out three straight practices before participating Friday.

If Roethlisberger can't play, 37-year-old Charlie Batch will start. Roethlisberger, who has not missed a start due to injury in more than two years, was not available to the media.

Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Thursday that he was getting nonstop treatment, adding "I'm going to do everything I can to be out there. I don't know if it's my decision. If it was just a matter of pain, I'd be out there. I'm physically unable to do certain things."

Along with Polamalu (hamstring) and Pouncey (ankle), linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring) and receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) also did not practice. Polamalu is expected to play vs. the 49ers.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,563 Times in 3,154 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Roethlisberger limited in return to Steelers practice

it sounds pretty bad. to be honest i'd say sit him at this point. charlie's been taking most of the 1st team reps, he will be ready.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,679 Times in 2,006 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Thanks for posting that up, mom!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
it sounds pretty bad. to be honest i'd say sit him at this point. charlie's been taking most of the 1st team reps, he will be ready.
Well if you witnessed the hit, you know it wasn't pretty. He may have been able to come back and perform later in that game, but as he said, it was all adrenaline, emotion and determination (& a little FEEL GOOD shot), and that he wouldn't be able to do it now.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,563 Times in 3,154 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Well if you witnessed the hit, you know it wasn't pretty. He may have been able to come back and perform later in that game, but as he said, it was all adrenaline, emotion and determination (& a little FEEL GOOD shot), and that he wouldn't be able to do it now.
true that. well if ben is really that hobbled, i would say sit him.

if we're going to be making it to the super bowl, healthy ben is more important than homefield advantage. we have a veteran team that had to do it on the road before, they know what to expect.

besides, even with charlie batch sitting out, i wouldn't count out the steelers vs the niners. he can get it done
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Yeah, I second that. I know when I sprained my ankle over the summer, the initial pain was horrible, and I knew I was in for a good few weeks of pain...but after the initial pain wore off and the adrenaline kicked in, I was fine to walk around nearly pain free for a few hours. Later that night though (and on through the next couple of weeks) was a different story altogether.

I know it he would play if it were up to him. I respect that. I don't think it's a good idea though...no matter whether the Ravens win or lose on Sunday. If he gets hurt worse, it's just going to mean that he'll be out or hobbled for that much longer. Sitting him just seems like the smart thing to do.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Yeah, I second that. I know when I sprained my ankle over the summer, the initial pain was horrible, and I knew I was in for a good few weeks of pain...but after the initial pain wore off and the adrenaline kicked in, I was fine to walk around nearly pain free for a few hours. Later that night though (and on through the next couple of weeks) was a different story altogether.

I know it he would play if it were up to him. I respect that. I don't think it's a good idea though...no matter whether the Ravens win or lose on Sunday. If he gets hurt worse, it's just going to mean that he'll be out or hobbled for that much longer. Sitting him just seems like the smart thing to do.
If he's actually practicing a little already, one things for sure. He's going to be pretty sore. Wouldn't be suprised if his wifey gets fed up with his groans of agony tonight

Old 12-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I know this SF game is important especially if Houston and Baltimore lose. However, in my view, the worst case scenario if Ben sits the next 3 weeks is for us to be a wild card team in the playoffs.

Recently, the Giants, Packers and us have been able to show that winning the SB is not impossible as a wild card team.

20:20 hindsight will be heavily showcased no matter what the decision but I would recommend that we sit Ben and let him heal and be as healthy as possilble for the playoffs.

We will really be kicking ourselves if Ben aggravates the injury and makes it a season ending type injury.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,737 Times in 704 Posts

On the surface, if we sit Ben (and I REALLY do think he plays come Monday Night) then it'll look like we're forfeiting the division. However, does anybody else think we can flat out WIN with Batch playing Monday? I do.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Corey_J
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16584

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
On the surface, if we sit Ben (and I REALLY do think he plays come Monday Night) then it'll look like we're forfeiting the division. However, does anybody else think we can flat out WIN with Batch playing Monday? I do.
He will play. This game means too much to us. We wont be able to run against SF, so we have to rely on the pass..........Charlie Baltimore isnt the answer...Id say if Dixon were starting, maybe. Behind that Oline charlie is a sitting duck !