Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Your stand on illegal hits and laying up on defenseless reciever or QB?

You people can't be serious. Is it seriously more important for people to be able to hit each other in the head without being flagged, fined, or suspended than it is for the people who get hit in the head to be able to feed and bathe themselves later on in life?
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,005 Times in 2,117 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Your stand on illegal hits and laying up on defenseless reciever or QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
You people can't be serious. Is it seriously more important for people to be able to hit each other in the head without being flagged, fined, or suspended than it is for the people who get hit in the head to be able to feed and bathe themselves later on in life?
Listen, Roger. We just want football back. Good old, hard hitting football! If someone is constantly going for the head, hit his ass right back! You know what your risking when you go out on the gridiron! Just like Nascar racers know they could die at any given moment. It's a risk you take, and your being payed damn well to do so!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
Black N' Yellow
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19123

Dodens is right... I'm all for hard hitting football and the occasional accidental helmet-to-helmet is fine. But deliberately headhunting and not trying to avoid using the head in hits is wrong with what we now know about head injuries.

Its just a game in the end. Is having your brain falling apart when you're 70 really worth it?
Black N' Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #24
steelersfan77
Starter

Member Number: 10585
My Mood: Breezy

If a player is worried about head injurys and concussions why does he play football? I'll say this everytime there is a hit to the helmet there is a swelling of the brain even if it's ever so slightly. We were on the argument earlier about the rules of being able to hit a running back helmet to helmet without fines or penalites simply because the runner knows what he's up against and he's not defenseless. That's ridiculous because everytime he takes a shot to the helmet he's getting his bell rung. Guarantee it. Everytime.

Maybe the league is trying to get rid of football players for something else. The CFL is a league that is a lot softer. Go play there McCoy.

It's either get rid of helmet to helmet contact all together or have better rules to enforce it. Right now they're junk.
steelersfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #25
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I don't have a problem with not being allowed to hit a defenseless player in the head, and I question the moral compass of the person who does. This is an issue beyond common workplace hazards. With what we know about concussions today, we are in the process of reevaluating what we are permitted to ask another human being to do. Players themselves need to be made more aware of how a concussion will impact their brain functionality for the rest of their lives, because I'm convinced that if not the majority, then a healthy minority of players don't even understand what a concussion is, and it's pretty obvious that most fans don't either. Maybe if they did, they wouldn't be so callous and cold blooded and seemingly ignorant of the fact that they're talking about the lives of other human beings.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #26
steelersfan77
Starter

Member Number: 10585
My Mood: Breezy

What is a concussion?

A concussion is a type of traumatic brain injury that is caused by a blow to the head or body, a fall, or another injury that jars or shakes the brain inside the skull. Although there may be cuts or bruises on the head or face, there may be no other visible signs of a brain injury.

You don't have to pass out (lose consciousness) to have a concussion. Some people will have obvious symptoms of a concussion, such as passing out or forgetting what happened right before the injury. But other people won't. With rest, most people fully recover from a concussion. Some people recover within a few hours. Other people take a few weeks to recover.

In rare cases concussions cause more serious problems. Repeated concussions or a severe concussion may require surgery or lead to long-lasting problems with movement, learning, or speaking. Because of the small chance of permanent brain problems, it is important to contact a doctor if you or someone you know has symptoms of a concussion.

What causes a concussion?

Your brain is a soft organ that is surrounded by spinal fluid and protected by your hard skull. Normally, the fluid around your brain acts like a cushion that keeps your brain from banging into your skull. But if your head or your body is hit hard, your brain can crash into your skull and be injured.

There are many ways to get a concussion. Some common ways include fights, falls, playground injuries, car crashes, and bike accidents. Concussions can also happen while participating in any sport or activity such as football, boxing, hockey, soccer, skiing, or snowboarding.

What are the symptoms?

It is not always easy to know if someone has a concussion. You don't have to pass out (lose consciousness) to have a concussion.

Symptoms of a concussion range from mild to severe and can last for hours, days, weeks, or even months. If you notice any symptoms of a concussion, contact your doctor.

Symptoms of a concussion fit into four main categories:

Thinking and remembering
Not thinking clearly
Feeling slowed down
Not being able to concentrate
Not being able to remember new information
Physical
Headache
Fuzzy or blurry vision
Nausea and vomiting
Dizziness
Sensitivity to light or noise
Balance problems
Feeling tired or having no energy
Emotional and mood
Easily upset or angered
Sad
Nervous or anxious
More emotional
Sleep
Sleeping more than usual
Sleeping less than usual
Having a hard time falling asleep

From reading this I further understand more about what a concussion is.

If a football player doesn't want to suffer this disorder, whether temporary or prolonged, don't play the game of football. It's bound to happen. Go find another profession.

Since football has been around defender's have weighed themselves by how much their feared on the gridiron. Whether that's a lineman, linebacker or safety looking to ring your bell or a cornerback that's feared enough not be thrown at. I don't buy the fact that there are players or fans that are hoping to see another player become concuss. I don't believe that there are football players out there who intentionally try to hurt another player. Helmets and bodies just collide. That's the way it. If you can't see that as a fan of the game or a player you're just being ignorant.

I made the argument in another post about the collisions between a running back and linebacker. The difference between helmet to helmet contact with a defenseless player and one that is not. A wide reciever who just recieves a pass and has his bell rung is defenseless and helmet to helmet contact is probably going to make the player concuss. The player is probably going to get and show signs of not knowing where he is. Correct? So they're trying to get rid of it in the NFL.

Let's get back to the running back. He's not considered defenseless by NFL rules and so helmet to helmet contact is allowed. What do you think happens to those players brains when a running back and linebacker meet in a hole at high levels of speed and make helmet to helmet contact? There are definetly concussion symptoms going on there. Helmets meet with each other, bells are ringing, paint is being swapped and brains inside a skull are shaking. Players are probably getting up woosy and show signs of concussion like symptoms. But that's okay with the NFL.

What's the difference between the two?
steelersfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #27
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan77 View Post
What is a concussion?

Let's get back to the running back.

What's the difference between the two?
This is where I have a problem. There have been these studies about players suffering later in life. I am curious what percentage of these players are quarterbacks and receivers? You cannot preach player safety and only protect two positions on the field. I played offensive tackle through high school and one year of college ball. I have suffered 2 concussions from on-coming outside linebackers. What about me? If I were in the NFL who gives a sh*t about me? Like stated above, you don't have to be knocked out to have a concussion.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #28
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

Also, one huge element of the game used to be 1.) A defender separating the ball from the receiver and 2.) Having a quarterback who is smart enough not to get his receiver killed. You cannot give bad quarterbacks a pass for making horrible decisions, setting his guy up to get laid out. Why should the defender be punished?
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #29
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCbeauBlak View Post
Also, one huge element of the game used to be 1.) A defender separating the ball from the receiver and 2.) Having a quarterback who is smart enough not to get his receiver killed. You cannot give bad quarterbacks a pass for making horrible decisions, setting his guy up to get laid out. Why should the defender be punished?
when this came-up last year, I saw a round-table discussion on ESPN, featuring 4-6 former League QB, who said that only 5 present day QB are smart-enough to NOT lead their intended receivers into harm's way:
despite all of the fantasy-crap stats, and outrageous QB ratings, this panel said a vast majority were as-much to blame for injuries to receivers as defenders

if John Unitas put John Mackey into a vulnerable position, does anybody doubt Mackey would've smacked Unitas in the ensuing huddle?
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #30
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,005 Times in 2,117 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
when this came-up last year, I saw a round-table discussion on ESPN, featuring 4-6 former League QB, who said that only 5 present day QB are smart-enough to NOT lead their intended receivers into harm's way:
despite all of the fantasy-crap stats, and outrageous QB ratings, this panel said a vast majority were as-much to blame for injuries to receivers as defenders

if John Unitas put John Mackey into a vulnerable position, does anybody doubt Mackey would've smacked Unitas in the ensuing huddle?
Bottom line is: Football's a dangerous sport. If your not tough, don't play. It's hard enough for a quarterback to be aware of the time he's taking to throw, setting his feet, squaring his shoulders, griping the ball, releasing it correctly and hitting his receivers.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote