Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-16-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Batch and Dixon ready if Big Ben can't play

Batch and Dixon ready if Big Ben can't play
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/lo...tml?mode=print
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:44 am

PITTSBURGH -- On Wednesday as the franchise quarterback hobbled around team headquarters with a painful-looking limp, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon practiced. They don't know if they'll play Monday night. But both claim they'll be prepared for the challenge.

"Yes, I'll be ready to go," Batch said.

"I'm so ready," Dixon said. "I'm so ready to prove to this team once again that I'm able to get things done if it does present itself."

As Batch and Dixon ran the offense at Wednesday's practice, Ben Roethlisberger could only watch. Since suffering a high ankle sprain a week ago today in a 14-3 win over Cleveland, Roethlisberger has worn a walking boot as he continues to rehab.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger has worked "tirelessly" in the training room in hopes of playing in Monday night's showdown in San Francisco. Because of his reputation as one of the NFL's toughest QBs who's fought through injuries in the past, no one will count Roethlisberger out.

However, struggling through the second half of a game with an obvious limp like he did against the 4-9 Browns is one thing. Playing against a tough 49ers defense will be a much tougher test even if Roethlisberger is close to 100 percent recovered.

"He can be ready to play on a limited number of (practice) snaps," Tomlin said. "At the end of the week when we get into some situational football things, that's going to require some physical preparation in some form or fashion. (But) we're always going to be optimistic when it comes to Ben."

In the meantime, Batch and Dixon will continue to take turns at practice with the first-team offense.

Batch, the oldest player on the team at 37 years old, is officially listed as the backup. He's only played sparingly in three games so far. He took two snaps in the 24-0 rout of Seattle on Sept. 18. He played two series in the 35-7 rout of Cincinnati on Dec. 4. Last week against the Browns, he played two series after Roethlisberger was sandwiched by two Cleveland defenders.

So far this season, Batch's only statistics are two incomplete passes and two sacks.

Meanwhile, Dixon has yet to play in a game. In 11 of the 13 games, he wasn't even in uniform. He watched from the sidelines in street clothes as a game-day inactive.

"Charlie and Dennis are great players, but they aren't Ben," wide receiver Mike Wallace said. "Ben is really special. So you have to change your game to adjust to what they do best.

"With Dennis and Charlie, we were 3-1 last year. I played with those guys. I have a tremendous amount of confidence in them. There's no drop-off in confidence. It's just how we play (as an offense) that will be a little different."

Last year when Roethlisberger opened the season on a four-game suspension, Dixon and Batch got two starts each. Dixon held his own in a season-opening win over Atlanta by completing 18 of 26 passes for 236 yards with an interception and a respectable 81.6 passer rating. But a week later, he was done for the season after suffering a season-ending knee injury in the second quarter of a win at Tennessee.

In Week 3, Batch threw three touchdown passes and racked up a 106.5 rating in a win at Tampa Bay. But a week later, he posted a 57.8 rating in a home loss to Baltimore.

"Ben's a strong guy," Dixon said. "And I anticipate him being back for that Monday night game, especially with what that game means for us.

"But I think this team has total confidence in me and Charlie if Ben can't play or if he's knocked out (of a game). You like to have your franchise player in there. But if he won't be able to go, we'll have to be able to answer the bell."

"You don't want to be the guy that's going to let this team down," Batch said. "One thing that we've always been able to pride ourselves on is if one guy goes down, the next guy steps up. We've been able to do that over the course of the years and, at this point, it's going to be the same way if Ben can't go."

--

Read Mike Bires' latest "Steel Crazy" blog at www.timesonline.com
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Batch and Dixon ready if Big Ben can't play

Batch kept us in the game last year against Baltimore at least, and they have a really good defense. He's a short term backup IMO, I'm glad we have him for these situations, but I wouldn't want him to play 6 games or more for us. I doubt we can win without Ben cause the niners have a strong D, but this year he has a lot more options to throw to. Ben is more mobile with his ankle injury then Batch though, sounds ridiculous but that's what I saw last game. Either way the niners will be blitzing a lot because of the QB situation, the o line has to play great no mattet who is playing QB.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

Your last line, tanda10506, couldn't be more true. The line MUST play better, not only in this game but the remainder of games and the playoffs as well...Hopefully if Essex has to play LG and Legursky has to play center, they both hold their own and keep whoever's playing QB upright and more importantly open running lanes. Less pressure on any QB to have to make plays is always a good thing.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Anybody who thinks John Skelton is better than Charlie Batch...well...I don't know. But John Skelton and Larry Fitzgerald just beat the 49er defense, so I think Batch and Wallace and Brown and Ward and Cotchery and Miller and Mendenhall and Moore and Redman can do it too.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Batch is a 3rd string QB at best, he is only 2nd due to Byron being there. I also feel, the Steelers didnt look elsewhere as Batch had a bad personal life issue with his BK. Felt bad for him, hoped they wouldn't need him, and carried him for a year. Should not be here next year.
Batch is not mobile, with this Oline, you need to be mobile.

I rather have Dixon start. Let him run loose if need, options, PA's, and QB runs.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

I almost think I want Dixon over Batch also...
Old 12-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Anybody who thinks John Skelton is better than Charlie Batch...well...I don't know. But John Skelton and Larry Fitzgerald just beat the 49er defense, so I think Batch and Wallace and Brown and Ward and Cotchery and Miller and Mendenhall and Moore and Redman can do it too.
I am guessing the two things Skelton has over Batch is arm strength and mobility. But obviously there is a lot to be said for experience. An effective short passing game and some decent running would give us a chance at least. I also hope that there will be some chances for Dixon to get into the game. He could be the wild card.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Batch is one hell of a man, and he represents Pittsburgh football better than anyone on the team. He's always been loyal to this franchise and he's taught Ben a lot of what he knows today. You can say what you want about him now, but he's always been a damn good player for us, and I respect the hell out of him.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:44 AM   #9
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

We had a much different offense last year with a strong running game that allowed Batch and Dixon to do nothing while allowing us to stay in the game. That's obviously not the case now.

I'm confident Batch/Dixon will suck.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #10
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001

Ben will be ready to play come Sunday. Got a good lineup ti watch from Sunday to Monday. New England vs. Denver at 4:15. Baltimore playing San Diego Sunday night. That should be the best chance Baltimore has of losing. And finally the Steelers Monday night. Yes, this next few days may be half decent for me
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote