Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-26-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292
Default It's funny how things change in 1 yr.

One year ago, it was easier. The Steelers were still considered a 6-10 team that was judged to have significant offensive line problems and a secondary lacking speed. Their offense had been saddled with a running attack that had been next-to-worst in the whole league the previous season, and their defense went through too many stretches where it made a whole bunch of tackles but too few big plays.

?I think if you look at last year, everyone looked at who we lost the year before,? said Coach Bill Cowher back in March. ?Coming into the (2004) season, a lot of people said no way we were even as good as a 6-10 team.?

Sports Illustrated predicted the Steelers to finish third in the AFC North, behind Baltimore and Cincinnati. The Sporting News? list of the 100 top players in the league included only three Steelers ? Kendrell Bell was No. 56, Hines Ward was No. 71 and Alan Faneca was No. 75. Only one of Pro Football Weekly?s panel of six prognosticators had the Steelers finishing as high as second in their division. Nobody had them making the playoffs.

This was precisely the motivation the Steelers used from the first day of training camp until they had fashioned the 15-1 record that was the best in franchise history. And they did it with the same core of players who were on the team that finished 6-10 the year before, with the only newcomers to the organization among the starting 22 being Duce Staley, Ben Roethlisberger and Willie Williams.

It's so funny how basically the same group of guys went from being a 6-10 team with no respect to a 15-1 team with a little. Just though it was interesting...http://secure2.steelers.com/article/53148/ -here's the rest of the article!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: It's funny how things change in 1 yr.

And now everyone is picking the Ratbirdss to win the division,and there are some saying the Steelers won't make the playoffs.

Everything changes,yet everything stays the same.

I hope we lay the Ratbirds out,I hope we lay everyone out and steamroll to a perfect record-with the SB win.I know we'll win our division.I know we'll go deep into the playoffs.Hell,I seriously think were going to go to and win the Super Bowl this year.Everything is in place,and we got rid of some excess baggage.

After this year,when the Steelers prove last year wasn't a fluke,maybe we'll get some respect.Then again,we probally won't...and you know what,I like it that way.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

I think the biggest change in a year is the good news that we have a solid idea what Ben can do. Last year he was going to be a clip board holder for the season and had everyone stayed healthy, maybe we are still asking ourselves today if we missed on Philip Rivers. Good thing it all worked out for us last year. Lets hope we can complete a report card on all our draft picks again and not give them incompletes.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Last year everybody picked the ratbirds to win, and the bengals to be 2nd and us 3rd... and look what happens.. we go 15-1 and still dont get picked to do anything.. these ratings are worthless, we all know we rock and thats all that matters.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

Member Number: 284

Thing i hate about theses ranking is there all driven on "HYPE".After a 15-1 year and we still have our core players and a younger talent coming up what the hell are these ppl on hehe.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I heard the Vegas Line was a little high for us also?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:56 PM   #7
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394

I think it's better that the steelers go through adversity as far as being overlooked. It always seems better when the steelers feel they have something to prove. An this year of any year would be the year to feel that way.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:58 AM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Good point! I agee give thenm something to prove instead of being the one everyone is gunning for.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

betting lines have changed...from what I see NE, IND, and PHI are in the 4:1 5:1 6:1 range. PIT was at 12:1 with SD but is now 10:1

Now to educate on how sports betting works...that means more money was going on us to win it all in the view of the average betting man so Vegas had to adjust the odds lower. In SD case they went from 12:1 to about 18:1 so public opinion is fading on them.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Still not good enough , I like teams 25 to 50 to 1 bet a $100, and see what happens