Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #21
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Leaping???? Really...

Leaping. Unbelieveable. NO WAY that penalty gets called on anyone else in the league. Period. And you all know it.
What's becoming apparent to me is this : The refs are no longer calling games the way they used to, its as if they are trying to "impress" the league office and keep their jobs. No different than employees you and me have worked with that do the same thing.
Leaping. I don't even know what else to say.

I also watched that punt over and over. That was a bang-bang play and wasn't intentional either. That shouldn't have been called. And again, i believe, no way that gets called on any other team.

Hard to win games when you play like sh** and you have to play the opposing teams + refs at the same time.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #22
fortmemphis
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17288

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
The worst officiating I have seen this year. Every year officiating gets worse and it will continue to until there are consequences for poor and obviously biased officiating.
one thing I do know, the refs are just about never going to call Pass Interference on any defenders covering Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace or Heath Miller.

There were several times that the SF defender got to the receiver before the ball got there. One time, the SF defender had his left arm around the waist of our receiver but NEVER any call.

So if there isnt going to be an PI called on the defense we are playing against and if we are going to give SF the ball 4 freaking times--count em 4, no way we are going to beat anybody.
fortmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
fortmemphis
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17288

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Leaping. Unbelieveable. NO WAY that penalty gets called on anyone else in the league. Period. And you all know it.
What's becoming apparent to me is this : The refs are no longer calling games the way they used to, its as if they are trying to "impress" the league office and keep their jobs. No different than employees you and me have worked with that do the same thing.
Leaping. I don't even know what else to say.

I also watched that punt over and over. That was a bang-bang play and wasn't intentional either. That shouldn't have been called. And again, i believe, no way that gets called on any other team.

Hard to win games when you play like sh** and you have to play the opposing teams + refs at the same time.
Leaping to try and block a kick--wow, we cant even do that . That was amazing. And the punt catch/fumble......well, Lewis knocked the SF guy into the guy fielding the punt, but I must admit, Lewis's left arm seemed to hit the receiver and Lewis isnt supposed to be within a certain distance of him. It was a long shot to think they wouldnt call that, but it certainly was a bang bang play and was really really close to just being Lewis knocking the blocker into his own man.
fortmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #24
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Again goodell is just trying to be safe out there. Come on guys see through the rule and look at the player safety.

If Goodell can limit people from jumping in the games he will cut down on the ankle sprains. Think about it, 200 and 400 pound men jumping, thats a lot of wear and tear on the bones. The more we can cage up these animals the safer they will be. there is no reason for anyone to jump in the NFL.

Lewis's call was fair in my opnion, but he did get tied up with the blocker but Lweis was still in the space.

Ref's didnt do a go job in this game, we had some pass interference calls on wallace that were never called.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #25
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,802 Times in 844 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

It was Walt Coleman and his officiating crew. Poor officiating is to be expected. He has a track record of poor officiating and nothing ever seems to get done about it.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #26
zsheik22
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9466

This is funny because...

I was reading the SF forums. Every single team in the NFL thinks they are being screwed by the refs and the team they are playing has goodell on their side. Drop the theories, it's just bad officiating. The Steelers get their fair share of lucky calls and then obviously we get the shaft sometimes too. Thats the way it works.

The interference call was odd... they are supposed to be given room to make the catch, but then WTF are you supposed to do if a blocker is standing right in front of the guy who's getting the ball and has NOT signaled for a fair catch?!?!?! That rule needs amended. It's a good rule, but it was a load of crap in that situation.

We just didnt show up. Oh well. All you need to do is make the playoffs. It always seems to me the harder the road in the playoffs, the better you do. Look at when we won our SB's. Was not an easy path.
zsheik22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #27
SteelWolf62
Water Boy

Member Number: 8500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Ah what's the difference. The O couldn't do diddly squat.
What he said.

There's Santonio. Wave to him!!
SteelWolf62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #28
stiller39
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4832

Leaping is actually very popular is San Fran bar scene.
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #29
smheart78
Water Boy

Member Number: 13973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Lewis's call was fair in my opnion, but he did get tied up with the blocker but Lweis was still in the space.

Ref's didnt do a go job in this game, we had some pass interference calls on wallace that were never called.
I don't feel it was a fair call, but that's just my opinion. I tried to find some highlights of the play but, from what I can recall from the 1/2 dozen slow-mo replays is that the ball touched the 49ers blocker before it reached the receiver, who was standing still. The rules copied from NFL.com are as follows:
Rule 10 Opportunity to Catch a Kick, Fair Catch
Section 1 Opportunity to Catch a Kick
INTERFERENCE
Article 1
During a scrimmage kick that crosses the line of scrimmage, or during a free kick, members of the kicking team are prohibited from interfering with any receiver making an attempt to catch the airborne kick, or from obstructing or hindering his path to the airborne kick, and regardless of whether any signal was given.

It goes on to define what constitutes interference...
Item 1: Contact with Receiver.
It is interference if a player of the kicking team contacts the receiver, or causes a passive player of either team to contact the receiver, before or simultaneous to his touching the ball.
Item 2: Right of Way.
A receiver who is moving toward a kicked ball that is in flight has the right of way. If opponents obstruct his path to the ball, or cause a passive player of either team to obstruct his path, it is interference, even if there is no contact, or if he catches the ball in spite of the interference, and regardless of whether any signal was given.
Penalties:
(a) For interference with the opportunity to make a catch when a prior signal has not been
made: Loss of 15 yards from the spot of the foul, and the offended team is entitled to put the ball in play by a snap from scrimmage. See 4-8-2-g.
(b) For interfering with a fair catch after a signal: Loss of 15 yards from the spot of the foul. A fair catch is awarded even if the ball is not caught.

Based on my understanding of the rules, the fact that the blocker touched the ball first (whether or not Lewis made him touch the ball) makes the ball a live ball.. Lewis is allowed to do anything to the blocker except run him into the reciever or the receivers path. The blocker, at best, was ran into the ball, although the blocker was not forced to bring up his arm that touched the ball by Lewis. The receivers path was not interupted. Also, there's nothing that specifically states that there is a "boundary" circle around a receiver. It is my understanding that contact and interference is towards the receiver, not the ball.
I am open to other opinions on this, but I feel that this was, or could have been, a HUGE momentum shift for the steelers at an important time in the game deep inside their territory.
None of this dismisses that the 49ers outplayed us and deserved to win the game in the end.
smheart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #30
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,249 Times in 523 Posts

That leaping call isn't the only thing that gets me fired up against Lawrence Timmons.

This dude is turning into Alonzo Jackson all over again! Couldn't COUNT how many times he was out of position and completely flopping and flailing at our inside linebacker spot. Timmons is constantly out of the play and very rarely EVER does anything. He's also a f*cking p*ssy at pass-rushing. Never have I seen the guy run THROUGH a running back on a blitz. So disappointed with #94's performance this year, was expecting big things. He's simply invisible.