Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
dcsteel5804
Starter

Member Number: 9373
Default The Real Story of Last Nights Game: Hint.... Its not about Big Ben

The Steelers lost last night, 20 -3. So that means Big Ben must have really stunk it up out there, right? Well, that's mostly true. He through 3 interceptions and fumbled once. I don't know what it would take to teach this guy to throw the ball away. Even with a high ankle sprain and extremely limited mobility, the guy was holding the ball to long in certain situations.

But, in my humble opinion, that was not the real story of the game. We all knew that Ben was hurt and wasn't going to play very well. We knew he'd be limited in what he would be able to do. The real story to me was the defense. Coming into the game, they must not have gotten the memo that there was a good chance they'd have to play a spectacular game to help this team pull one out. Too bad, because this was definitely a winnable game

After the first interception thrown, The 49ers had the ball at around their own 30 yard line. Well to me, that's like decent kick off return starting field position. and we let them go on down and score a field goal. Probably should have been a touchdown if Alex Smith had any real skill. Basically the same sequence of events happened on the drive for both teams.

Now giving up only 6 points after two turnovers doesn't sound that bad right?? WRONG!! Because its the way they gave the 49ers yardage. They were not letting them run too well, but dang it if they weren't 10 yards of the receivers on obvious passing downs. They allowed them to convert third down throw after third down throw. Not to mention there was ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE ON ALEX SMITH THE ENTIRE GAME. I mean, CSI wouldn't have been able to prove he had been in a football game last night, he was untoched by an Steelers all night and didn't hit the ground but maybe twice. Compare that with how we played against the Patriots and it makes you sick. We have the talent on this team to cover New England and its receivers and tightends, but not San Frans??? Give me a break!!

To win the game, the defense would have had to play lights out, create some turnovers, create some pressure and they just didn't, and that really makes me sick in my stomach. Where was the blitz, where was the press coverage. You don't create turnovers by not pressuring a guy. But I guess we should not question the genius that is Lebeau.... Well I WILL. Why does this guy pick certain games to just shrivle his little baby nuts up into its shell and play scared. Similar to the game against freakin Tyler Palko, where we almost lost to the Chiefs because we let that bum sit back there and throw passes to open guys.

I dont know, maybe you guys saw something different, but that defensive performance sucked. I know the offense was bad, but we knew it would be bad. They scored most of their points of turnovers, we had no turnovers and never gave our offense a short field. We started inside the 20 on 90 percent of our drives, with a gimp at QB, not a formula for success. The defense needed to hand the offense points on a silver platter, and they just didnt. More thoughts to come later, but let me know what you guys think, thanks.
dcsteel5804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: The Real Story of Last Nights Game: Hint.... Its not about Big Ben

I don't think the defense played all that bad. Yes, they allowed drives to continue and didn't get off the field in short order. However, they kept the home team from the endzone until a fumble at about their own 20. I believe this game would have been totally different had the 2 first half INTs not been thrown. For the first 3 quarters, 3 turnovers and only 13 points allowed in a road game isn't all that bad. You have to go to the source, and that was the turnovers. Had the offense converted some of those drives that resulted in turnovers into points, the pressure would have been on the 49ers and Smith ... and they would have been prone to turn the ball over. A team that only scores 3 points in the NFL is going to lose, then add in 4 turnovers ... sounds like a problem with the offense to me.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

When the O of a pretender to the #1 seed in the AFC can only score 3 friggin' points and turns the ball over 4 times, it is directly responsible for the loss, period.
No need to talk about the D. They did their job, limiting the 49ers to 20pts under these circumstances.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

there were a few stories last night, but the biggest one for me was the fact our defense COULD NOT get to the QB. That was extremely frustrating to watch him drop back time and time and time again and not be touched. And our defense is supposed to be so great. Bah.
The truth is....that without Harrison in there....our pass rush STINKS. I was unimpressed by their QB who threw quite a few lousy balls last night. If that was an accurate QB last night, we would REALLY got creamed, much worse than we did.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsteel5804 View Post
The Steelers lost last night, 20 -3. So that means Big Ben must have really stunk it up out there, right? Well, that's mostly true. He through 3 interceptions and fumbled once. I don't know what it would take to teach this guy to throw the ball away. Even with a high ankle sprain and extremely limited mobility, the guy was holding the ball to long in certain situations.

But, in my humble opinion, that was not the real story of the game. We all knew that Ben was hurt and wasn't going to play very well. We knew he'd be limited in what he would be able to do. The real story to me was the defense. Coming into the game, they must not have gotten the memo that there was a good chance they'd have to play a spectacular game to help this team pull one out. Too bad, because this was definitely a winnable game

After the first interception thrown, The 49ers had the ball at around their own 30 yard line. Well to me, that's like decent kick off return starting field position. and we let them go on down and score a field goal. Probably should have been a touchdown if Alex Smith had any real skill. Basically the same sequence of events happened on the drive for both teams.

Now giving up only 6 points after two turnovers doesn't sound that bad right?? WRONG!! Because its the way they gave the 49ers yardage. They were not letting them run too well, but dang it if they weren't 10 yards of the receivers on obvious passing downs. They allowed them to convert third down throw after third down throw. Not to mention there was ABSOLUTELY NO PRESSURE ON ALEX SMITH THE ENTIRE GAME. I mean, CSI wouldn't have been able to prove he had been in a football game last night, he was untoched by an Steelers all night and didn't hit the ground but maybe twice. Compare that with how we played against the Patriots and it makes you sick. We have the talent on this team to cover New England and its receivers and tightends, but not San Frans??? Give me a break!!

To win the game, the defense would have had to play lights out, create some turnovers, create some pressure and they just didn't, and that really makes me sick in my stomach. Where was the blitz, where was the press coverage. You don't create turnovers by not pressuring a guy. But I guess we should not question the genius that is Lebeau.... Well I WILL. Why does this guy pick certain games to just shrivle his little baby nuts up into its shell and play scared. Similar to the game against freakin Tyler Palko, where we almost lost to the Chiefs because we let that bum sit back there and throw passes to open guys.

I dont know, maybe you guys saw something different, but that defensive performance sucked. I know the offense was bad, but we knew it would be bad. They scored most of their points of turnovers, we had no turnovers and never gave our offense a short field. We started inside the 20 on 90 percent of our drives, with a gimp at QB, not a formula for success. The defense needed to hand the offense points on a silver platter, and they just didnt. More thoughts to come later, but let me know what you guys think, thanks.
I agree100 % of everything u said here bud!!! I know the offence (ben in particular) played poorly; but u are bang on!! Opening drive 17 plays!! Cmon; 17 frikin plays and it should have been 7 not 3 had there qb not miss a wide open receiver in the endzone!! Isn't san fran ranked 30 something in the nfl in total offence?? I'm not a numbers guy; but i will say our d is way overrated and everyone can talk about there number 1 against the pass!! They are not very good this year!!
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
fortmemphis
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17288

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsteel5804 View Post

I was thinking the same. SF didnt do anything spectacular. They were scared that we would kill Alex Smith, so they made a running game out of the short dink and dunk passes. And we fell right into it. We played 8-9 yards off the receiver at the line. Well the play was over right there. No way our CBs could close fast enough to stop it and Smith was getting rid of the ball in less than 2 secs.

We came up to the line and harrassed the NE receivers but we couldnt do the same against a mediocre QB in Alex Smith. We made Smith look like a pro bowl QB at times.

But all that being said, turning the ball over 4 times and having all the turnovers lead to points simply destroys any chance we had to win the game. The defense got some 3 and outs and forced some punts, but then the offense came in. They would move the ball down to the 25-30yd line and proceed to shoot themselves in the foot.

SF definitely has a good defense. And last night, they wanted that game so badly--so so badly. But realize, SF just lost to Arizona--Arizona!!! Arizona is okay but it is disturbing that Arizona could beat SF and all we could produce was a 51 yard FG that barely made it thru the uprights.

Honestly, would a mobile Charlie Batch, after a couple series to get his legs up under him, been better for us last night? I just dont know. Ben threw some bad balls and missed some receivers. All turnovers can be attributed to Ben. That decision is on Tomlin. It is his job to put the person who best gives the team a chance to win on the field. Last night, I dont know if he did that.
fortmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

I think its time to face the facts and stop hiding. Our "blitzing" just plain isn't that good anymore. The only times we get pass pressure at all anymore is when:
1. Harrison plays
2. when Gay safety blitzes
3. And when Woodley plays dominant. But the problem is Woodley plays in "flashes" of greatness, not all the time. He's about a 60%-er.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
magnus0211
Water Boy

Member Number: 3301

You can blame the offense all you want, and yes they were a large part of last night's performance. However, the real reason is the same as always. We got out coached on both sides of the ball! It's the coachs' job to put the team in the best position to succeed and they just don't do that. Obviously, Roethlisberger was going to have limited mobility so our offensive game plan should have been a quick short passing game (which we proved we could do successfully earlier in the year... anyone remember how good we looked against the Titans?) But we have an OC that's as stubborn as they come, and will continue to run what we do (a vertical passing game) regardless of the opponent or circumstance. Just let our hobbled QB run on that bad ankle to prolong a play while our receivers fun 20 yd routes on a 3rd and 2. Genius! It doesn't help that our qb is just as stubborn if not more so. Defensively, we were going to have to play more aggressive to cause some turnovers without Harrison and a less than 100% Woodley bringing pressure. As stated above, if we could play bump and run against the Pats (with a far superior qb in Brady), why is it we decided to go against it against a West Coast offense? Hard to jump routes when playing 10 yds off receivers with no pressure on a qb . Just as we did against the Pats, I would have preferred to play more out of our nickel packages with more DBs or safetys to avoid having our LBs like Farrior or Timmons in coverage. We could have supplied that needed pressure blitzing our those MLBs and let our secondary do their job. Oh, also really glad we saved that timeout before the half.... how many times have we seen that before? Just another example of a poorly coached game.
magnus0211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Ben played bad no doubt.

I agree Magnus, thats what I hav ebeen saying, every 3 and short we played twice the yardage they needed at least, off the line. Are they retarded? This isn't the first time we did this, we do this a lot, than scratch our heads why they got the 1st down.

To say we got out coached is an understatement, but that also shows you how bad our coaches are. Perhaps they should stop worrying about tossing harrison under the bus in the media and worry about the game at hand. Outc oached 3 times by whiney little girls names Harbaugh. Tomlin should have to wear a dress home and to practice all week. But he ir probably drafting his next news release on Harrison and how the Steelers may not let him play this week.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
dcsteel5804
Starter

Member Number: 9373

All excellent points by you guys, and one of the things brought up with the pass rush minus Harrison and Woodley. Didn't we spend 2 first round picks on DE's? I know, I know, everyone always says a DE in a 3-4 is supposed to occupy blockers so the LB's can make plays, but for cryin out loud, and one of these guys get some freakin pressure. Where's Ziggy? Where's Kiesel, Heyward, or Mclendon? I mean, I don't expect much from hamton, we all no he's no a pass rusher, but where are these other guys. For first round picks, I want a guy who can do both. If we're gonna play coverage all day, we need to generate a rush with 4 guys, you know, kind of like to SF did. The defense just did not cut it last night. The coaching strategy on both sides sucked. I dont know what else to say.... Oh yeah, Ben did suck too.
dcsteel5804 is offline   Reply With Quote