Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: The Real Story of Last Nights Game: Hint.... Its not about Big Ben

UMMMM!!!!!! The defense did not lose this game, in what world does a D allow less than 300 yards, limit the opposition to a "mere" 20 points off of 4 turnovers and have to take the blame for a loss when the O manages to score only 3 stinkin points. The 49ers didn't do anything special, but what they did they executed very well, didn't really take any drive stopping penalties and played within themselves.
Once again, we have an offensive game plan that throws the ball more,than twice the rush attempts with a hobbled QB, a game plan that refuses to continue with quick passes and forces our QB ( I am sure some of it is Ben's fault too) to throw deep crossing routes and search for the "home run" ball. On our opening drive Ben throws a pic in the red zone,later Brown drops a quick slant that looked like it would have been a TD, this happened before we were down 6-0, it should have been 14 - 3 at the half for us, not a 6-0 deficit.
Did we play our best game on D, NO, but they aren't to blame for the loss!!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
PatsFan09
Water Boy

Member Number: 14535

Wow, you guys are kind of harsh. Your defense only gave up 20 points. That's not bad, especially without Harrison on the field. The Steelers have won every game their offense put up more than 20 points & lost 4 out of 7 when they didn't.

Solution, score 21 points or better each week & win! Big Ben couldn't put any weight on his plant foot, so obviously he was not going to have a great day. He probably shouldn't have played. If he keeps the injury from healing he could be an immobile QB who can't put any weight on his plant foot throughout the playoffs. That is a pretty big disadvantage for one of the most dangerous guys on the run to ever play the game!

So, do you settle for a wildcard spot and take a 100% healthy Ben on the road to the SB, or... Do you go for the #1 seed, which you can ONLY secure IF Baltimore loses again, (their last 2 games aren't too tough, although KC didn't look too tough either)... AND.... the Pat's lose one of their final 2 games vs. Buffalo or Miami. Even though both teams are at 5-9, they ARE capable of beating the Pat's. Buffalo did it already this season & Miami is just better than their record shows. In their last 7 they've gone 5-2. It helps some that both are home games for the Pat's

Going for it puts Ben in position to get himself more hurt than he is now. He can't really scramble at all, so he is a sitting duck. Yes, he's PLENTY tough, but any one big hit can do damage. Also, how will his sprain heal if he keeps playing on it?

(Side Note: On big hits.... How about that hit by Elvis on Brady? WOOOW ! I couldn't believe he popped back up like he did AND continued to play great the rest of the game. All the crap people like to say about him being a p*ssy & a whiner etc. You have to give him some props for him popping right up and not just going right back to the game. That was the cleanest hit I've seen on a QB in , well, maybe ever. I'm glad no flag was thrown. Nothing was done wrong, but refs whip them things out almost every time a QB gets hit, clean or not.)

The 3rd option which just popped into my head is putting in Batch. You could probably still win against tomato cans like 2-12 Rams & the 4-10 Browns. Then that way you are still in position for the #1 seed IF Baltimore loses one of their final games, which could possibly happen, especially against the Bengals.

Either way, we could see a rematch between the Pat's & Steelers in the AFCCG. Only question now is where??? I can't imagine it would turn out as lopsided as the 1st one, or at least I hope not. That was one of the worst Pat's game of the Brady era. They scored 17, but it somehow felt like a shutout

Until then.....................
PatsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703

Actually this loss should be 100% on the coaches and Vets. This was the most pathetic game plan i have ever seen. How does this QB that gets sacked 9+ times in 2 games barely get touched this game? Answer: terrible def gameplan. How the hell do we not max protect our QB who is hobbled? Answer: terrible off gameplan. How the hell does a team of vets come out this flat when they know whats on the line. We were handed the #1 seed on a silver platter and the coaches couldnt motivate these guy to play better than that turd they laid out there. Absolutely zero fire in anyone except Clark.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I think its time to face the facts and stop hiding. Our "blitzing" just plain isn't that good anymore. The only times we get pass pressure at all anymore is when:
1. Harrison plays
2. when Gay safety blitzes
3. And when Woodley plays dominant. But the problem is Woodley plays in "flashes" of greatness, not all the time. He's about a 60%-er.
Now that you mention it, I agree.

Everyone harps on the offense even when they play decent (which is rare these days) and the defense always gets a pass, no matter how poorly they played.

I, for one, AM tired of our db's playing far off the receivers. I understand they are trying to keep everything in front of them to avoid the big play. I would rather sacrifice the possibility of a big play happening instead of always giving them the shorter stuff which allows horrible teams, like the Chiefs and Palko, to march down the field until we decide to 'tighten up' near the end zone.

And where has the pressure been all season long? It seems we can expect a good blitz only once or twice a half. We give the opposing QB all day long to find an open guy instead of forcing them to make a decision and hopefully a bad one.

Turnovers are down because there is no pressure. The QB doesn't have to worry about it.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,381 Times in 2,284 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

If you turn the ball over 4 times you ain't gonna beat anybody
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Still don't understand why Ben was playing when you have a proven veteran backup QB on your Bench
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
ClosetSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 17820

The San Francisco 49er quarterback should be no stranger to sports fans; but as I watched last night's game, I couldn't think of what college team he played for, so I checked the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Smith

He's a Urban Meyer product, and in 2005, Alex lead his undefeated Utah team to a 35-7 Fiesta Bowl victory over the University of Pittsburgh. After that Urban became the head coach at the University of Florida, and Alex Smith was the 1st overall pick in the NFL Draft (ahead of a guy named Aaron Rogers).
His pro career was plagued with injuries and many different coaching philosophies..... yet Alex survived, and has finally blossomed in the NFL. Is he as good as Big Ben? I don't think so; but his offensive coordinator uses all of the tools he has at his disposal, and San Francisco has a plethora of that.
So stop the complaining,and Tuesday morning quarterbacking.... with a healthy Ben, we're a different team. Don't blame the defense.... they hung in there until late in the game.

Closet Steelers Fan
ClosetSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
UMMMM!!!!!! The defense did not lose this game, in what world does a D allow less than 300 yards, limit the opposition to a "mere" 20 points off of 4 turnovers and have to take the blame for a loss when the O manages to score only 3 stinkin points. The 49ers didn't do anything special, but what they did they executed very well, didn't really take any drive stopping penalties and played within themselves.
Once again, we have an offensive game plan that throws the ball more,than twice the rush attempts with a hobbled QB, a game plan that refuses to continue with quick passes and forces our QB ( I am sure some of it is Ben's fault too) to throw deep crossing routes and search for the "home run" ball. On our opening drive Ben throws a pic in the red zone,later Brown drops a quick slant that looked like it would have been a TD, this happened before we were down 6-0, it should have been 14 - 3 at the half for us, not a 6-0 deficit.
Did we play our best game on D, NO, but they aren't to blame for the loss!!

I agree!

The only thing I'd add is that Ben was way more hurt than I had been led to believe and that he probably should not have played at all or should at least have been pulled in the second half.

But on the subject of Ben in general, last night was a demonstration of just how much his mobility factors into our offense overall. On at least a dozen plays, there were situations where a healthy Ben could have either extended the play by scrambling or gained yardage by running. On at least a dozen MORE plays, there were instances where he wanted to move to avoid defenders or to simply enlarge the pocket and he couldn't do that. Then on at least another dozen pass attempts, he was not able to plant onto his left foot to step into a throw and was instead "flipping" the ball and his accuracy was severely affected by that.

To me, when Ben is healthy it's like listening to music in surround sound whereas last night it was like listening through a 2-inch speaker in a clock radio.
His mobility is essential to this team's offensive success and his lack of mobility made our offense about as dynamic as something drawn on a blackboard.

The "play through pain" thing may make for great stories and plays to the ego of the sport and the fans but it also has its limits and last night was a perfect example of that. If we are to have ANY success in the post-season, Ben needs to be healthy and I think that he should sit until he is. Right now, I doubt we're looking at anything better than a five-seed and if sitting him for two weeks gets us a six-seed -- then what's the difference?

If we continue to play him and even if by some miracle Baltimore hits a slump and we end up with a bye, it won't be enough because he won't be near 100% and we need him at , or very close to, 100% if we're to have any chance going deep into the post-season or to the SB.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #19
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Still don't understand why Ben was playing when you have a proven veteran backup QB on your Bench
Because Batch is horrible and fragile? I was surprised he didn't get knocked out for the year last week when he played after Ben went out.

He only has a job on this team because he is a local guy.

They are afraid of him throwing the ball.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
Because Batch is horrible and fragile? I was surprised he didn't get knocked out for the year last week when he played after Ben went out.

He only has a job on this team because he is a local guy.

They are afraid of him throwing the ball.
As soon as ben threw the first pick he should have been benched. The only thing he was bound to accomplish last night was making his injury worse. Not very bright.
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote