Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts
Default Shut Down Injured Players Until Playoffs?

No getting around last night's loss being a devastating setback to going back to the Super Bowl - home field with a bye was there - now the Steelers are at best looking at 1 home game with no bye

If the Steelers get the #5 seed (beating the Rams does that) they will travel to the AFC West winner - while home is always better than the road, unless the game is in San Diego they should be favored against Oakland or San Diego

So to maximize their playoff prospects, it seems more important after last night to get healthy than to go all out for 1 possible home game - for that reason I wish they would sit Ben, Woodley and Pouncey until the playoffs.

Of course with Tomlin still playing Ben after the game was a blow out last night I assume we will play all starters for the full Rams and Browns game regardless of the score
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: Shut Down Injured Players Until Playoffs?

I would think long and hard about sitting Ben until the playoffs.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
steelersfan77
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10585

I don't think the division is out of reach just yet. The steelers need to take care of buisness their last 2 games against teams with losing records and hope the ravens drop one. Their last game in Cincinnati isn't going to be a cakewalk especially with the bengals playing for a spot. The texans are operating with a 3rd string quarterback the rest of the way so they're viable to drop another regular season game. The 2nd seed in the AFC and a first round bye is still within reach seeing that the patriots may not lose another regular season game.

If players can go they should play. Some players can play through more pain than others. I don't think it was Big Ben's injury last night that hampered his progress as much as it was no reps during the week. Even the best talents in the league have to put in practice time during the week leading up to the game. He made some horrendous reads last night.
steelersfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028

There is no reason IMO for ben to play the last two games unless he is 100%. They will be setting themselves up for losing him for the playoffs.
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
No getting around last night's loss being a devastating setback to going back to the Super Bowl - home field with a bye was there - now the Steelers are at best looking at 1 home game with no bye

If the Steelers get the #5 seed (beating the Rams does that) they will travel to the AFC West winner - while home is always better than the road, unless the game is in San Diego they should be favored against Oakland or San Diego

So to maximize their playoff prospects, it seems more important after last night to get healthy than to go all out for 1 possible home game - for that reason I wish they would sit Ben, Woodley and Pouncey until the playoffs.

Of course with Tomlin still playing Ben after the game was a blow out last night I assume we will play all starters for the full Rams and Browns game regardless of the score
Yes, I do think it is time to rest some starters and get ready to go to, well either one of the AFC west teams' house. I do think resting Ben and starting batch or Dixon is a pretty good idea, and also giving some time for Woodley and Pouncey to rest up. I do not think the Ravens will lose this Sat. against the Browns, but the Bengals have a slight chance of beating them. but after the Ravens get embarrassed the way they did, they usually play angry and play lights out the next week. So we shall see, I think resting some starters and holding back some injured players might be the best way to go.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt2loc View Post
There is no reason IMO for ben to play the last two games unless he is 100%. They will be setting themselves up for losing him for the playoffs.
how confident do you feel of your Ravens winning the next two games?? one of them on the road against a desperate Bengals team.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

with you Dan..... I think health means more then position right now

You can win on the road with a healthy team, but you can lose anywhere with a banged up one
Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Chadmagic
Team Captain

Member Number: 17433

I think you have to keep playing them. Resting players before the playoffs has never ever never led to anything but losses. the Colts were always resting players for 3-4 games going into the playoffs and were always 1 and done. Football is about playing speed and momentum. If you have players who aren't used to the game speed going in, they get pushed around. Keep them in there and and fire up the attitudes. This team needs to play with an attitude and a chip on its shoulder. We haven't had that all year. Now its time to get it. Not rest.
Chadmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Opt2loc
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
how confident do you feel of your Ravens winning the next two games?? one of them on the road against a desperate Bengals team.
Browns i'm pretty confident they won't have any trouble with them at home coming off laying an egg. Bengals could be trouble. The Ravens are obvoiusly the better team. We'll see.
Opt2loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #10
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadmagic View Post
I think you have to keep playing them. Resting players before the playoffs has never ever never led to anything but losses. the Colts were always resting players for 3-4 games going into the playoffs and were always 1 and done. Football is about playing speed and momentum. If you have players who aren't used to the game speed going in, they get pushed around. Keep them in there and and fire up the attitudes. This team needs to play with an attitude and a chip on its shoulder. We haven't had that all year. Now its time to get it. Not rest.
The Colts were just resting. I believe Manning could walk that year?