Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default If Roethlisberger sits, what message does it send?

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Thursday, December 22, 2011
If Roethlisberger sits, what message does it send?

It now appears to be at least a 50-50 proposition that the Steelers will rest Ben Roethlisberger this weekend against St. Louis.

Roethlisberger did not practice again Thursday and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians called him a game-time decision.

But what message does it send to the team if Roethlisberger, who said he feels better this week than he did last, doesn't play against the lowly Rams?

They don't need their best players to win?

They can afford to take the Rams lightly?

Roethlisberger did not suffer any kind of setback and if I were coaching the Steelers, he would at least start and hand the ball off a lot to Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman.

It now appears the Steelers will keep Maurkice Pouncey out of this game as well. But at least Pouncey didn't play last week.

It is probable that the Steelers will activate running back John Clay from their practice squad to replace injured Mewelde Moore.

Moore's injury, coupled with that of Jonathan Dwyer, leaves the Steelers with only Mendenhall and Redman.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447
Default Re: If Roethlisberger sits, what message does it send?

If we can't beat the Rams without Ben, we don't deserve better than a #5 seed.

Last edited by plenewken; 12-23-2011 at 10:11 AM.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

That Ben is HURT! And that there is a reason they pay guys to be backups.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockonsteel View Post
That Ben is HURT! And that there is a reason they pay guys to be backups.

Rockon
Absolutely!! If we actually make a commitment to the running game and not ask Batch or Dixon to throw it 45 times we will be fine!!
Rick5895 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

Agreed- if we play the odds here- I think its better to get Ben as healthy as possible for our P.O run. We should beat the Rams and Browns as a team, and the QB will just need to not lose the game. Charlie or Dennis can do that.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
Agreed- if we play the odds here- I think its better to get Ben as healthy as possible for our P.O run. We should beat the Rams and Browns as a team, and the QB will just need to not lose the game. Charlie or Dennis can do that.
Exactly! I've been saying that forcing Ben to play in that 9ers game, begs one if two questions.

1. What does it say about the Tomlin's confidence in himself and his offensive staff, that they feel they have to rely on Ben at less than 50%, as opposed to going with your healthy backup, and winning as a team, rather solely on the shoulders/legs of Big Ben?

2. What does it say about Tomlin's confidence in the team as a whole that you feel they can't win with your backup guy,yet, you're always screaming how "the standard is the standard"?

I thought they did a bad job of handling that situation Monday night. Plain and simple. Now they need to give him a chance to get as healthy as possible before the playoffs begin. No matter what seed they land, if Ben is hobbling around like he was last week, the Steelers will be a quick exit from the tournament this year. I hope stubborness and the desire to highlight Ben's toughness does not cause this to be an issue.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,118 Times in 497 Posts

I said this in another post and I'll say it again here...

Unless the Ravens' team bus drives off a bridge sometime in the next two weeks, it's a pretty sure bet that we're either going into the playoffs as a 5 or 6 seed.

In that case, we have no reason whatsoever to play Ben.
In fact, we should also rest Pouncey, Woodley, Troy and anyone else who needs to be getting well instead of getting hit and we should be doing this not just for the Ram game but also for the Cleveland game.

We do not have to win any of these games. Since that's true, we ought to be playing our bench and getting reps for the guys who never get them and we may even discover some talent we didn't even know we had which would be even more helpful in the post-season.

As far as the QB's go, we ARE talking about the Rams and the Browns.
If Batch or Dixon can't beat either of those teams, then they should not be wearing an NFL uniform or collecting an NFL paycheck.

The only reason to even care about winning either of these games is pride and ego and I can't see where either is more important than a healthy group of starters for the playoffs.

Forget the bye week.
We have an opportunity to have TWO bye weeks for our injured starters and if we don't use them to get ready for the playoffs then I wouldn't plan on being in the playoffs very long.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
PeRK82
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19438

The Message that it sends is, that the STEELERS Front Office and Coaches got smart and should risk any more damage and be worthless in the play offs. The Steelers shouldn't have played him against he 49ers, although i was glad he did play but i think it actually hurt their chances to win. Yea the Steelers Defense didnt play very well, every great defense has its off days, Ravens had theirs the night before. But i think they could have pulled a win off. Heck they were still in it until the flagged F.GOAL attempt that gave them a first down then ended up a TD. I think that sealed the deal for that game honestly.
PeRK82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
PeRK82
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
Absolutely!! If we actually make a commitment to the running game and not ask Batch or Dixon to throw it 45 times we will be fine!!
I personally think Dixon is a pretty dam good QB, one of the better back ups definitely.
PeRK82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeRK82 View Post
The Message that it sends is, that the STEELERS Front Office and Coaches got smart and should risk any more damage and be worthless in the play offs. The Steelers shouldn't have played him against he 49ers, although i was glad he did play but i think it actually hurt their chances to win. Yea the Steelers Defense didnt play very well, every great defense has its off days, Ravens had theirs the night before. But i think they could have pulled a win off. Heck they were still in it until the flagged F.GOAL attempt that gave them a first down then ended up a TD. I think that sealed the deal for that game honestly.
What sealed the deal was Ben's INTs in the first half of the game.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote