Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers sit Gilbert in favor of Scott

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers sit Gilbert in favor of Scott

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...s_773681.html#
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Steelers benched rookie Marcus Gilbert on Saturday and went with Jonathan Scott at right tackle.

"I didn't like the way he prepared this week," coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers' 27-0 win over the St. Louis Rams. "I wanted to make a point that it wasn't what we like."

Gilbert's benching wasn't the only shuffling that occurred on the offensive line.

Trai Essex moved from left guard to center after Doug Legursky exited the game in the first quarter with a strained shoulder. Legursky had started his second straight game at center with Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey out because of a high-ankle sprain.

Legursky could have returned, Tomlin said, but Essex played well enough to make it a moot point.

"I particularly liked the effort from Trai Essex," Tomlin said.

Woodley out again

LaMarr Woodley's hamstring continues to hamper the outside linebacker.

Woodley missed his fifth game yesterday, and he hasn't played a full game since Oct. 23 in Arizona.

Woodley lost his outright team lead in sacks, as James Harrison has tied him with nine.

Paydirt for Clay

Rookie running back John Clay knows a thing or two about making an entrance.

Less than 24 hours after the Steelers signed him from their practice squad, Clay scored a 10-yard touchdown on his first NFL carry.

It came in the second quarter and gave the Steelers a 10-0 lead.

"Too bad my family wasn't there to share it," Clay said, "but I know they were watching TV. I was just happy that I could do that for my family."

Record watch

Antonio Brown caught only three passes for 34 yards against the Rams, but it was a memorable day nonetheless for the second-year wide receiver.

Brown established a new Steelers record in all-purpose yards in a season (2,048). He also went over 1,000 yards receiving this season and has 1,018.

Hines Ward, meanwhile, moved closer to 1,000 career catches.

Ward caught four passes for 32 yards. He needs five receptions in the Steelers' regular-season finale in Cleveland to reach 1,000.

Sanders out too

In addition to Woodley and Pouncey, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and running back Mewelde Moore (knee) didn't play yesterday because of injuries.

Defensive end Al Woods and offensive tackle Jamon Meredith were the Steelers' only healthy scratches.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Steelers sit Gilbert in favor of Scott - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...#ixzz1hYjU9vUc
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: Steelers sit Gilbert in favor of Scott

Lets see if Gilbert "gets it"
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Steelers sit Gilbert in favor of Scott

Let's hope he does. We wont win in the playoffs with Scott in. When Starks took his spot our whole offense changed.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote