Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Dallas Cowboys should no longer be referred to as 'America's Team'

Dallas Cowboys should no longer be referred to as 'America's Team'
Giants DE Justin Tuck says title needs to be challenged

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, December 30 2011, 12:31 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz1i1coZ5v0

It's been long drought in Dallas since the Cowboys backed up the nickname 'America's Team.'

There needs to be an expiration date on the Cowboys being known as America’s Team. And it needs to be soon.

How ’bout them Cowboys? Yeah, How about them?

They have not been to the Super Bowl in nearly 16 years. It was their third title in four years when they beat the Steelers following the 1995 season, but they have won just two playoff games since – wild-card victories in 1996 and 2009.

Eleven other NFC teams have been to the Super Bowl since 1995. The 49ers, Redskins, Lions and Vikings are the only other NFC teams that have failed to get into the big game since Super Bowl XXX. It’s the Cowboys’ longest Super Bowl drought in their history.

The Patriots have been to a staggering five Super Bowls since ’95. The Packers have been to three, while the Giants and Rams have been to two apiece. Even the Bucs, Cardinals and Saints, three of the NFL’s all-time losingest teams, have made it to the Super Bowl since Dallas’ last appearance.

If this is America’s Team, America deserves better.

“I don’t know if they ever deserved to be America’s Team,” Giants defensive end Justin Tuck said on Thursday, just a few days away from the NFC East Championship Game on Sunday night at MetLife Stadium. “I don’t have a vote on that. The only people that it rubs the wrong way are the people who don’t root for them.”

Blame NFL Films. They titled the Cowboys’ 1978 highlight film “America’s Team.” Cowboys president Tex Schramm, one of the great innovators in NFL history and a marketing genius, embraced the flattering nickname and ran with it. Who wouldn’t?

The Cowboys helped change the image of Dallas after it was known for being the city where President John Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. The Cowboys’ star replaced the Texas School Book Depository and the grassy knoll as the symbols of Big D.

The Cowboys were style and substance, and cheerleaders and the stadium with the hole in the roof, which Cowboys fans said was designed so God could look down on their team.

The Cowboys did a lot of winning – five Super Bowl titles in eight appearances. Only the Steelers ( six) have more Super Bowl titles. Nobody has been in the game more than the Cowboys, even if they have failed to make the last 15.

The ’Boys are still the biggest thing in Big D, but the winning has gone on a vacation to Cabo. Even Bill Parcells — who won two Super Bowls with the Giants, went to one Super Bowl with the Patriots and even took the Jets to the AFC Championship Game — couldn’t win a playoff game in his four seasons working for Jerry Jones. The combination of Jones forcing Terrell Owens on Parcells, and Tony Romo fumbling the snap on a potential game-winning field goal in a playoff loss in Seattle, had Tuna running for retirement following the 2006 season.

Despite all of this lack of winning, nobody has challenged the Cowboys’ right to be called America’s Team.

Maybe it’s time.

“There’s a lot of teams out there that have had a lot of success,” Tuck said. “Who has the most Super Bowl rings? Pittsburgh. If I was Pittsburgh, I would make the argument that we’re America’s Team.

“We should take a poll on who has the most fans in the league,” Tuck continued. “I don’t know. There’s a lot of New York Giants fans.”

The Cowboys are immensely popular and they have fans all over the country. In the final game of the 1993 season, the Giants and Cowboys played for the NFC East title at Giants Stadium with the loser relegated to a wild-card berth. The Cowboys won a classic game in overtime – Emmitt Smith was unstoppable despite suffering a separated shoulder — and there were enough Cowboys fans in the stands that their “Moose” calls for fullback Daryl Johnston were easy to hear.

“I’m aware of how popular their brand is,” Giants guard Chris Snee said. “I’ve read enough articles on the net worth of that team. But also I’m aware of when it originated and how successful they were at that time. It’s one of those things you hear and you acknowledge it, but you also know they’re a popular team. They are all over the place.”

In the years since the Cowboys won their last title, Jones has gone through a long list of coaches: Barry Switzer, Cha n Gailey, Dave Campo, Parcells, Wade Phillips and now Jason Garrett.

Either Jones should bring back Jimmy Johnson or just coach the team himself. The Cowboys have had exclusive use of the America’s Team title for 33 years. Either they find a way to get back to the Super Bowl or they should abdicate the throne.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz1i1cNTMQr

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz1i1c3TnI9
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote