Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #1
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,844 Times in 794 Posts
Default Rest Ben Roethlisberger

No decision: Rest Ben Roethlisberger
December, 28, 2011

By Jamison Hensley

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has "a shot" to play against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, coach Mike Tomlin told reporters.

It's a good sign for the Steelers that Roethlisberger would be available if they needed him, but there really is no decision when it comes to the quarterback and his high ankle sprain. The Steelers need to sit Roethlisberger for the regular-season finale. There is a chance that Sunday's game might be a critical one for the Steelers. If Pittsburgh wins and Baltimore loses, the Steelers would win the AFC North and clinch a first-round bye in the playoffs.

But that's an "if." The Steelers, who have already locked up a playoff berth, can guarantee Roethlisberger a bye this week by resting him.

Sitting Roethlisberger isn't waving the white flag and conceding the division to Baltimore. The Steelers beat the Rams and the NFL's 32nd-ranked run defense by handing the ball off to Rashard Mendenhall. They could use the same game plan against the Browns and the league's 30th-ranked run defense. Plus, backup quarterback Charlie Batch was extremely effective in his game-manager role.

"I thought he did some really good things," Tomlin said of Batch. "[But] his performance has no bearing on how we go about making the decisions that are right for us this week. A lot of the decisions center around Roethlisberger's health."

The best decision that would improve Roethlisberger's health heading into the postseason is to rest him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...roethlisberger

I agree 100 percent!
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: Rest Ben Roethlisberger

I really like the idea of him getting a few snaps in the game just to knock the rust off. However, HE has to get rid of the ball quickly. As soon as he starts running around trying to extend the play bench his stubborn ass. After all extending the play is why he's got the high ankle sprain to begin with.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
I really like the idea of him getting a few snaps in the game just to knock the rust off. However, HE has to get rid of the ball quickly. As soon as he starts running around trying to extend the play bench his stubborn ass. After all extending the play is why he's got the high ankle sprain to begin with.
Yup. It was 1st and 10 when he ran around and got his ankle damn near ripped off. He could have ran the ball and picked up a few yards instead he attempted to do what he does when it was completely unnecessary.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Black N' Yellow
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
Yup. It was 1st and 10 when he ran around and got his ankle damn near ripped off. He could have ran the ball and picked up a few yards instead he attempted to do what he does when it was completely unnecessary.
What he does is the reason we've been in 3 Super Bowls. If he can run around and extend the play a little on Sunday, I don't have a problem with it. He needs to be able to do that for us to make a good playoff run.
Black N' Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Looks like Bens pushing to play sunday

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,213 Times in 648 Posts

After reading the Rest Ben, Play Ben articles, the only one that jumped out at me was this, What is Ben like after a substantial layoff? As history has shown, he hasn't fared very well, now this isn't the regular season we are talking about, this is the playoffs. Now I know there are two sides to a fence, what if he gets hurt, what if he aggravates the ankle, well let me ask this, what if Kemo didn't hit Palmer in the knee (Which was a total legal hit, I might add), what would that outcome have been? Truth of the matter is, Ben should play on Sunday, let him get some game speed before the playoffs, I am not saying he plays the whole game, maybe a half, a quarter or even a couple of series, but don't let Ben go into the playoffs "well rested", the playoffs may not be so promising!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,118 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Ben will play Sunday. He's already ran through a full practice this week, and their's still Thursday and Friday.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

They don't need Ben for the Browns...They need him for the Playoffs and Hopefully Superbowl
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

“I want him out there but not at the risk of injuring himself. If he can’t move around and get out of the way, there’s no sense in getting him out there.” - Bruce Arians, in a rare display of wisdom
Old 12-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,187 Times in 1,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
They don't need Ben for the Browns...They need him for the Playoffs and Hopefully Superbowl
do you remember week 14 ? 7 -3 with 3.15 to go and cleveland in scoring position at the 16 ?
thank god for gays interception in the endzone ,otherwise the steelers were in LOSING position.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote