Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default No quit in Steelers veteran linebacker Farrior

No quit in Steelers veteran linebacker Farrior

By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 30, 2011

James Farrior has missed more games this season than in any season since coming to the Steelers in 2002, is on pace for his second fewest tackles during that stint and, at times, has been replaced in the lineup.

Still, the 15-year veteran who is a week away from turning 37 doesn't plan on retiring.

"Dick LeBeau told me a while ago, he said when you retire, you retire for a long time," said Farrior, who is in the last year of his contract. Farrior took that one way: "Play as long as you can."

Farrior has 86 tackles and two sacks while starting 13 of 15 games. He has been replaced for series at a time by backup Larry Foote.

Farrior, who won the Chief Award on Thursday for being most cooperative with the media, said he wants to play "as long as they let me."

>> Right tackle Marcus Gilbert won the Joe Greene Great Performance Award given out by the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America. Gilbert had lunch with Greene while visiting the facilities before the draft.

"It was just an honor to sit down with a legend and arguably the best football player ever in this organization," Gilbert said.

Gilbert has started 12 games.

>> Receiver Emmanuel Sanders said he will play Sunday against the Browns after missing the past three games with a sore right foot.

"I haven't felt this good in five or six weeks," Sanders said.

Sanders first injured his foot in last year's Super Bowl and required offseason surgery. Sanders has missed five of the past seven games and has 21 catches on the year.

>> Safety Troy Polamalu (knee), guard Doug Legursky (shoulder) and running back Mewelde Moore (knee) did not practice for the second consecutive day. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) was limited but is not expected to play.

>> Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians hinted at Trai Essex starting at left guard again, but he expects Chris Kemoeatu to play, as well. Arians said that was the plan last week until Doug Legursky got hurt early in the game, forcing Essex to center.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: No quit in Steelers veteran linebacker Farrior - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbur...#ixzz1i1eUXNdA
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662
Default Re: No quit in Steelers veteran linebacker Farrior

I love James Farrior and all he has meant to this organization but he can't be serious!? Dude REALLY needs to look at the film which does not lie. Sure he makes a play here and there but at what point is it hurting our defense to NOT have a real run stuffer. At this point James isn't fast enough cover tight ends either? Stevenson Sylvester has look pretty good at times and I feel it is time to promote him. Sure there will be growing pains but c'mon man. James Farrior as a starter 2012?
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Farrior was beat on a few plays last week, it was that obvious to see on tv. Woodley posting all the time on facebook that hes playing and never does.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Farrior has that Aaron Smith free pass card to play when your not productive anymore.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I thought Farrior was doing a decent job against the run. He's horrible against the pass though, it's becoming a common site to see him chasing down a TE who just grabbed a big catch. Sylvester played well against the pats, even Foote was playing good in that stretch of games that Farrior missed. He's a real Steeler and I've always liked him, but it is hurting the team, at least in pass coverage.

The injuries are really starting to make me nervous. All these guys sit out week after week after week, with injuries that don't heal. Woodley has played some here and there, but he's missed almost half the season. I understand that you want to rest Woodley and anybody else who's injured for the playoffs, but usually that has bad results too. The SB often goes to the team playing the best at the time of playoff entry, having a banged up team or having a team that is full of guys that haven't practiced in 2-3 weeks is even worse, I hope for the best.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Farrior has that Aaron Smith free pass card to play when your not productive anymore.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Farrior's surprisingly good with the Blitz at this point in his career. A few times I've noticed him knocking over ends or running right through the middle for a sack. He's not going to be a good cover guy, but he's not a corner back, so I really don't expect him too. Not to mention he's fourth in defensive stats. He will probably see his productivity time significantly reduced next year.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
harts
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7323

He's got a year left in him - dont know what his contract is like - but he can be a good backup
harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts View Post
He's got a year left in him - dont know what his contract is like - but he can be a good backup
He's easily one of our defense's most knowledgeable players, and he'd be an excellent mentor for the young guns.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

We have enough veteran leadership on the Defense...We need a young kick ass type of guy.