Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Penguins Select Jordan Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32
But about this current pick. Of course he isn't going to be on the Sidney Crosby level of talent. But was it a good pick for the Pens? I thought they needed some defensivemen or if I'm wrong on that let me now. When the NHL season does start I'll try like every year to get into it.
Well, we were picking 2nd overall in the draft. Eitherway your going to grab a good hockey player. Staal will be special in my opinion. I think he will compliment both Malkin and Crosby very nicely. Staal also comes from good hockey stalk. He has two older brothers in the NHL, Eric being the most noted. Recently won the cup with Carolina and is one hell of a hockey player.

As for defenseman. We did take three defenseman in this draft after drafting Staal. With the exception of Erik Johnson, there wasn't a defenseman taken until the 16th overall pick. It's hard passing up on a kid like Staal in order to take Ty Wishart (16th overall). For the most part I think we made the right decisions. We got a damn good future forward to play with Crosby, Malkin and Armstrong while also stacking up on our defense.

With the exception of Staal, the one player I'm going to keep a close eye on is defenseman Carl Sneep. Kid is 6-4 210. I would love to see this kid turn into a good, solid, punishing defensive/defenseman. We have not had that since Ulf Samuelson. Should be fun to watch.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #12
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Well, we were picking 2nd overall in the draft. Eitherway your going to grab a good hockey player. Staal will be special in my opinion. I think he will compliment both Malkin and Crosby very nicely. Staal also comes from good hockey stalk. He has two older brothers in the NHL, Eric being the most noted. Recently won the cup with Carolina and is one hell of a hockey player.

As for defenseman. We did take three defenseman in this draft after drafting Staal. With the exception of Erik Johnson, there wasn't a defenseman taken until the 16th overall pick. It's hard passing up on a kid like Staal in order to take Ty Wishart (16th overall). For the most part I think we made the right decisions. We got a damn good future forward to play with Crosby, Malkin and Armstrong while also stacking up on our defense.

With the exception of Staal, the one player I'm going to keep a close eye on is defenseman Carl Sneep. Kid is 6-4 210. I would love to see this kid turn into a good, solid, punishing defensive/defenseman. We have not had that since Ulf Samuelson. Should be fun to watch.
Thanks man for the info. Like I said I don't get into the NHL like other sports. So I don't know as much about it like I do the other sports. This kid Staal sounds like a really good player. Pens do have alot of promising talent. They are getting Malkin back right? I will try to get into the NHL. I hope the Pens stay in the Burgh.

Pittsburgh till I die brother.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
We continue to stockpile young talent.....

My worries are.....

1. Can Shero put together the right mix of youth and veterans? (Unlike the Patrick debacle of last year)

2. WHEN the team is sold (foregone conclusion)..will it stay in Pittsburgh
I'll simply cut and paste from another thread that I responsed to on my opinion of Shero and Patrick.

With Shero...he showed a keen eye for identifying talent that could play well within an up-tempo, disciplined system. Nashville's system was ahead of the NHL game before the lockout, as we saw in the 2003-04 season. It's a system that is similar to the one Therrien teaches, predicated on speed, positioning, cycling and forcing turnovers in the neutral zone.

That, to me, was the big difference between Shero and someone like Neil Smith. Smith is a very solid hockey mind with an eye for hockey talent. But he could never get the pieces to fit together, and much like Craig Patrick, that proved to be his demise. Smith and Patrick (this past season in particular) always seemed more enamored with the player's name than his ability to play a particular role.

Also, with Shero you will not have to worry about the buddy/buddy system that was hurting this team when both Patrick and Lemieux were calling the shots. Business is business with Shero. You will not see us hiring Randy Hillier or Joey Mullen as assistant coaches or Edzo as the HC. You will not see us go out and sign expensive, old, big name players that had some sort of affiliation with this team in the past. Shero has expressed that he does not want to win with three or four big names. He wants to spread this team out and win as a team. Last season we had either really young guys or really old guys on this roster. We did not have anything in between. Shero will get this team to win. It may not be next season or the season after, but I'm willing to wait if it means a string of playoff runs and cup wins. I think that's what Shero will bring to this organization.

As for the team being sold and moved. I think we will be able to keep this team in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-25-2006 at 12:38 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #14
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
They are getting Malkin back right?
Yes, the Russian hockey federation and the NHL came to an agreement. Malkin also inked a three year deal with the Penguins last week. He will be here.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #15
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Yes, the Russian hockey federation and the NHL came to an agreement. Malkin also inked a three year deal with the Penguins last week. He will be here.
Thats good for the Pens. Do you attend alot of Pens games as well? I have never attended an NHL game but I heard its great to watch live.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Thats good for the Pens. Do you attend alot of Pens games as well? I have never attended an NHL game but I heard its great to watch live.
I used to have a full-game package but I dropped it down to a 20 game package. With Patrick gone I'm debating on going back with the full-game.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
I have never attended an NHL game but I heard its great to watch live.
You should give it a shot next season. I'm a hockey fan so I enjoy watching it live or on TV. But I have heard from many others (who are not big fans) that they love watching it live. Since I love the new rules installed, it made the game much better in my opinion. Very fast pace and beautiful goals (since you are unable to rape a guy anymore).

You should give it a try and see how you like it brother. Never know until you try.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #18
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
I love the young talent we are getting here in Pittsburgh. As far as the team staying in Pittsburgh I think they will. Now the Penguins are not as big as the Steelers are, but they do have a big following here.
I agree Prosdo. I don't see Mario selling the team to anyone that isn't going to keep the Pens here. I believe he wouldn't do that to the fans.

I was at the Pens draft day party at Buffalo Wild Wings yesterday afternoon. It was a really fun time and it was great meeting Phil Borque and seeing Pens fans so excited for the upcoming season!
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #19
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
I haven't heard this - do you have a link? I really hope they have, because I'm really looking forward to seeing Malkin play.

As for Staal, I really like this pick. As someone previously said, there's no way you can pass up a kid with this kind of talent. There were rumblings that the Pens were considering trading the pick to address their defense, but I'm glad they stood pat. They will probably go after one of the FA defensemen, likely Jay McKee from Buffalo, since he may come with the smallest price tag. BTW - Staal has already said that he is willing to play wing, so you may see him play with Crosby and Armstrong at some point.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #20
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
I used to have a full-game package but I dropped it down to a 20 game package. With Patrick gone I'm debating on going back with the full-game.
Hey 83 - where is your seat? I sit in D-7, Row E.
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote