Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Penguins Select Jordan Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator
I haven't heard this - do you have a link? I really hope they have, because I'm really looking forward to seeing Malkin play.
Pulled from the Hfboards...

HFboard post:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...46#post5772646

http://metallurg.ru/news/24144/ (In Russian)

According to Russian Media and Malkin's agent in Russia, Sergey Isakov, Malkin has signed 3-years deal with Pittsburgh but will start training with Metallurg and will report to Pittsburgh in early August.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-26-2006 at 10:35 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #22
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
Hey 83 - where is your seat? I sit in D-7, Row E.
Two seats in section B-16, Row G.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 PM   #23
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
Pulled from the Hfboards...

HFboard post:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...46#post5772646

http://metallurg.ru/news/24144/ (In Russian)

According to Russian Media and Malkin's agent in Russia, Sergey Isakov, Malkin has signed 3-years deal with Pittsburgh but will start training with Metallurg and will report to Pittsburgh in early August.
Thanks for the links, 83. I'm glad everything's been finalized and Malkin can finally come over. Even if the Pens don't make the playoffs, it should be an exciting season watching him and Crosby work their magic every night!
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:05 PM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Thanks for the links, 83. I'm glad everything's been finalized and Malkin can finally come over. Even if the Pens don't make the playoffs, it should be an exciting season watching him and Crosby work their magic every night!
No problem at all. It will be fun to watch those two (and maybe Staal) play together. While I still feel they are a little light on defense in order to make the playoffs (maybe a FA signing could change that?), it will be fun eitherway. With Shero now in charge, I see this team becoming a powerhouse in the near future.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #25
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Two seats in section B-16, Row G.
You've probably heard my yap a few times. I'm usually the one who starts the "Go Home Jagr" chants when the Rangers are on the ice - LOL! I'll be sure to send you and your guest down a few beers at the opener!
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #26
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
I'll be sure to send you and your guest down a few beers at the opener!
And I'll be more than happy to return the gesture.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #27
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Penguins make qualifying offers to six free agents
Monday, June 26, 2006

By Shelley Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins today made qualifying offers to six of their 17 restricted free agents, including forwards Colby Armstrong and Ryan Malone, defenseman Brooks Orpik and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury -- four players who are considered integral to the team's building process.

In something of a surprise, forwards Andy Hilbert, who played on the top line with Sidney Crosby, and Konstantin Koltsov, a former first-round draft pick, were among the 11 players who were not given qualifying offers.

They and the others not offered -- forwards Ben Eaves, Krystofer Kolanos, Cam Paddock, Tomas Surovy and Petr Taticek, defensemen Drew Fata, Alex Rouleau and Andy Schneider, and goaltender Andy Chiodo -- will become unrestricted free agents on Saturday.

The other players given qualifying offers are forwards Niklas Nordgren and Jani Rita.

By tendering qualifying offers, the Penguins retain those players' rights and have the right to match offers from other teams.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #28
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Penguins make qualifying offers to six free agents
Monday, June 26, 2006

By Shelley Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Penguins today made qualifying offers to six of their 17 restricted free agents, including forwards Colby Armstrong and Ryan Malone, defenseman Brooks Orpik and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury -- four players who are considered integral to the team's building process.

In something of a surprise, forwards Andy Hilbert, who played on the top line with Sidney Crosby, and Konstantin Koltsov, a former first-round draft pick, were among the 11 players who were not given qualifying offers.

They and the others not offered -- forwards Ben Eaves, Krystofer Kolanos, Cam Paddock, Tomas Surovy and Petr Taticek, defensemen Drew Fata, Alex Rouleau and Andy Schneider, and goaltender Andy Chiodo -- will become unrestricted free agents on Saturday.

The other players given qualifying offers are forwards Niklas Nordgren and Jani Rita.

By tendering qualifying offers, the Penguins retain those players' rights and have the right to match offers from other teams.
Yeah, I read this on another hockey site - hockeyfights.com. I don't understand the Hilbert move at all - he played very well on Crosby's line at the end of the season and thought he would be kept around as a second or third-line forward. But yet, they gave offers to Rita and Nordgren, a couple of stiffs? I'm going to trust Shero to make the right moves and assume he has a good reason for letting Hilbert go, but I do not like that move. As for Koltsov being released, it isn't a surprise to me - he's done nothing since being drafted. He has great speed and that's it - he'll never amount to anything other than a 4th liner, if he doesn't spend the rest of his career in the A.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #29
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Yeah, I read this on another hockey site - hockeyfights.com. I don't understand the Hilbert move at all - he played very well on Crosby's line at the end of the season and thought he would be kept around as a second or third-line forward. But yet, they gave offers to Rita and Nordgren, a couple of stiffs? I'm going to trust Shero to make the right moves and assume he has a good reason for letting Hilbert go, but I do not like that move. As for Koltsov being released, it isn't a surprise to me - he's done nothing since being drafted. He has great speed and that's it - he'll never amount to anything other than a 4th liner, if he doesn't spend the rest of his career in the A.
I agree with Hilbert. If you remember, Koltsov actually started to turn a corner when we went down to Carolina and beat them. I still think Koltsov can be a solid hockey player in the long run. My guess is Shero is letting these guys go while taking the gamble that other teams do not see what we saw (Hilbert in particular) in them while being able to sign them for a cheaper price. Also, maybe there are other players in the pool that Shero is eyeing down who he feels will fit this system.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-27-2006 at 11:01 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #30
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
I agree with Hilbert. If you remember, Koltsov actually started to turn a corner when we went down to Carolina and beat them. I still think Koltsov can be a solid hockey player in the long run. My guess is Shero is letting these guys go while taking the gamble that other teams do not see what we saw (Hilbert in particular) in them while being able to sign them for a cheaper price. Also, maybe there are other players in the pool that Shero is eyeing down who he feels will fit this system.
Yes, Koltsov did play OK down the stretch, but the guy has some of the worst hands I've ever seen on someone who was supposed to be a world-class talent when he was drafted. Maybe someday he'll be better, but right now, he's nothing more than a 4th liner, maybe 3rd liner at best. I have considered your point about Shero's decision to drop Hilbert, though...it's a big gamble, because it's tough to sneak guys like that past GMs. I'm guessing he's banking on everyone being so preoccupied with the initial big-ticket FAs that he'd be able to re-sign Hilbert or any of the others at the price tag he wants. I'm sure though that Shero does want to bring in his own guys, and purge the roster of some of the dregs left behind by Patrick.